• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

RAW files mis-labeled as .dng after import

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fuji RAF files copied to LR.  Some RAFs then converted to .dng.  Original RAFs disappear from folder.  Upon synchronize folder, RAFs show but when imported, now have .dng file type on label even though metadata confirms they are RAW files.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's discuss the obvious possibility. Did you, perhaps by accident, select COPY AS DNG when you did the import?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, original import is copy. Did not select box to delete raw file after dng conversion.  On synchronization, only option is actually add.  The file is a ---.RAF, but after imported with add is a ---.dng even though metadata says it is a raw.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, the only logical explanation of this is a bug in Lightroom, and I suggest you report it as a bug at Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about attempting another import, this time checking each point below:

(1) In LR, clicked on Import.

(2) At top, the Copy tab is selected.

(3) On right, the Rename Files section. Is that checked on, are you applying a template, any possibility your rename template includes changing to DNG?

(4) On the right, in Apply during Import, no strange preset is called upon. Cant imagine one that changes file type from RAF to DNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davidg....... no change.  I do use a file rename on initial import, just adds shoot name to original file name.  I'm stillest with 1) raw file disappears from folder after library - convert to dng and I do not click the box delete.  On sync folder, my only option is add and when selected, my raf file is imported into the folder with the file name changed to .dng even though metadata has it a a raw file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You probably just stated you attempted the following, but....

If, instead of using the LR import function, you simply copy the RAF to a folder in your LR catalog, and then (and this is where I think you may have just stated your are attempting that/this) in LR go to that folder, and SYNC, LR renames them/converts them to DNG, and the RAF files go missing?

And if you outside of LR look at the directory folder those RAF files should have been in, they are gone, replaced by DNG files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Raf files import without a problem into a folder in LR.  It is when select some and choose library... convert to dng the problem happens.  The RAF files show in finder in that folder and also show if choose sync folder.  It is when the file is added back to the folder that the file name has been changed to ---.dng even though it is a raw file confirmed via the metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the input.  I'll do it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, I completely misunderstood. Probably need to pay more attention.

So, never tried that, trying now with some of my kept "crap" files (Bad images kept for later rework)

I see in the dialog box, an option to in fact delete originals after successful conversion exists. Not accidentally checked perhaps?

Nope, thats not it, I am seeing the same result. Now in my case, in LR I see two copy's of the same file, same exact name, with DNG extension, When I choose to view one in Explorer (Windows PC) I see one DNG, one RAF, old RAF still exists, only one DNG.

If I choose in LR the first one, and go to show in explorer, the DNG is selected when I am presented it in Explorer. Exactly the same if I choose the second DNG. LR appears to be showing the DNG twice.

In LR, selected both, and Removed (not deleted). Turned right around and synced. Now I have one RAW and one DNG.

For an additional What If situation, I repeated this process. This time when I synced, I selected the box to show import dialog. Import screen came up in ADD mode. You may want to see what yours does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Similar.... except the original file has been removed from the folder during the dng conversion.  Sync - add and it is back but mis labeled as a dng.  Remove it and the  dng conversion and re-sync, add, and finally there is the dng and the correctly labeled RAF file.  A convoluted work around for a probable glitch in LR.  Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines