• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Can't "ADD" photos to Catalog with External SSD (worked untill now)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I have read many discussion about this but couldn't find a solution for my problem, these are the details:

- I use and external SSD as storage for all my photos

- I copy from camera SD to the external SSD and organize in folders myself (with name and date of the trip)

- I use "add" in Lightroom Import so I keep the photos in the external SSD and I use the same folder name structure in Lightroom Library

- I've used this since the beginning (more than 8 years now)

- Lighroom Classic CC is updated to last version available today

- Since few days I can't "add" to catalog from External SSD anymore, only copy the all photos

- I use Mac and the external SSD is formatted in Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

- The external SSD includes a lot of folders named: "location of trip - dates", e.g. "Cornwall - 10-15 October 2018".

I'm aware that Lightroom doesn't permit to Add from a thumb drive or camera SD/CF/XQD, but this is not the case since it's an external SSD and also using the Terminal I can see the external SSD is recognized as "fixed" by MacOS (not wrongly recognized as "removable").

So, if the OS seems to recognize the SSD correctly as a Fixed external SSD, and everything was correctly working for years, what could be the problem? How can I fix it?

This problem is causing a lot of trouble to my workflow and the post-processing queue is getting longer.

Thanks

Alessio

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Oct 29, 2018 Oct 29, 2018

Hi guys

thanks all for the reply, I've actually fixed updating do MacOS Mojave, after the update the external SSD is recognized (without formatting or other changes).

Thanks a lot for the help!

Alessio

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here..please help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AlessioAndreani  wrote

So, if the OS seems to recognize the SSD correctly as a Fixed external SSD, and everything was correctly working for years, what could be the problem? How can I fix it?

This may be due to an OS X upgrade. The preferred format for internal and external drives is now APFS.

https://tidbits.com/2018/07/23/what-apfs-does-for-you-and-what-you-can-do-with-apfs/

Backup the SSD drive data to and format it to APFS. It can't say for sure it will fix this LR issue, but it's worthwhile change.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Todd

thanks for the hint, I'll also try to do that, I'm short of ideas and definitely try this too.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to double-check, can you copy files to the external SSD using Finder since you did the Mac OS upgrade?  Perhaps Mac OS thinks the volume is read-only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi guys

thanks all for the reply, I've actually fixed updating do MacOS Mojave, after the update the external SSD is recognized (without formatting or other changes).

Thanks a lot for the help!

Alessio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I've actually fixed updating to MacOS Mojave,

What went wrong with the update?  (I'm waiting for the .1 release.)

Glad you got it resolved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines