• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Save a psd file as a new file from PS without importing it, possible?

Explorer ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When i open a jpeg from lightroom in photoshop (and edit it) and then i want to save it as a psd file i can just save it and it automatically shows up in LR next to to original jpeg file. BUT when i do this when i open a psd file from LR and after editing i want to save it as a new psd file it does not show up and i have to import it.This really takes the flow out of workflow. Does anyone know of a solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Thank you all for replying. As mentioned 'save' does not work for me because i end up with only the new version and i also want to keep the old one. When i use 'save as' it will be saved somewere in a folder and has to be imported again. So i guess it's not possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Lightroom, select the desired photo and then use the command Photo->Edit In... Then do your editing in Photoshop, and do a SAVE (not SAVE AS) and you should see the photo in Lightroom without importing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to explain it more clear;  i open up LR  -  see a psd file i want to work on  -  open it in PS  -  make changes in PS  -  decide want to keep both, the old version and this new version  (sometimes i do not know beforehand that i want to keep them both, otherwise i would have opened it as a copy in LR).

So now i have an newly edited file (sometimes completely different than the old version) and i want to keep the old version and save this new version (which i did not open as a copy) Is that possible without importing it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it is possible.

You need to try the Edit In... command as I explained above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some will say yes, It Will show up in LR.

But my experiences is once you use the Save As option, to save an existing image files using another name, ending up with 2 copies of the same original file, this new file does not get auto imported into LR.

So my answer is NO you have to manually import that new, Saved As, file back into LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see where the original poster said he wanted to do a SAVE AS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The OP wants to save both the originally edited PSD and the newly revised edited PSD, thus having both in Lightroom as separated PSD files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If he does this from LR via Edit In... then he can have the originally edited PSD and the newly edited PSD as separate files in LR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(sometimes i do not know beforehand that i want to keep them both, otherwise i would have opened it as a copy in LR).

Only if he opens as a copy; but in his post #2, he states that he has not and now realizes that he wants both copies in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you all for replying. As mentioned 'save' does not work for me because i end up with only the new version and i also want to keep the old one. When i use 'save as' it will be saved somewere in a folder and has to be imported again. So i guess it's not possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I don't think it is possible, but that isn't the same as saying that it shouldn't be. There are times when one wants Save As to result in an import, times when one doesn't.

In fact, I was able to repeat the process with jpegs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines