• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InEvent script for locking user to edit the InDesign document directly

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2018 Oct 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moto is to add content with structured xml tag in back end.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think you can block user edits with a script. If you ever find a way, it's all about a file that one can easily move out from script folder anyway so looks like a deadend to me.

What you might consider is using InCopy to limit edits to whatever you decide.

The alternative is to prevent user from taking a seat in front of the computer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, check out this thread:

BeforeOpen--Detect if Copy or Original Was Selected

The idea here was to encourage the InDesign user to open a copy of the original document. But it could be made  more strict: a beforeOpen event-listener uses preventDefault() to stop the user's open command and replaces it with one using the OPEN_COPY option. This is probably exactly not what the OP is looking for, but it would have the effect of preventing the user from editing a document. I could imagine something like being useful if you wanted to protect documents in certain folders.,

As for protecting the script itself: In my workplace, the application Scripts folder is off-limits to those who don't have administrative access. An event-listener script could be placed in Startup Scripts at the application level, so that the afterOpen event-listener is always created when the application launches.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks, Loic and Robert Kyle!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines