• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete from disk only copies rejected file to trash

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mark images that I don't want with an x and then choose "delete from disk" for rejected photos. The rejected photo then shows up in trash, but the original remains in the source folder. The delete from disk option worked properly until the last month or so. I would appreciate some guidance.

I am using Lightroom Classic CC version 7.5 on a Win 10 system.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

This sounds like you have Copies of the images on some other drive or folder than you think they are in and it is those that you are deleting.

Right click on one of the photos and select Show in Explorer. Are you taken to the same drive and folder you think the photos are in?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ABAMBO | Hard- and Software Engineer | Photographer

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Classic 8.0 on Windows 10, and marking for deletion and then removing the deleted images is working as expected. I don't recall having any issues with CC 7.5.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just  updated to version 8.0 but The problem remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not at my PC just now, so this from memory.

In my copy of LR, the process is not DELETe, but to click on remove, I am then presented with the option of deleting from the disk, or removing from catalog (and if published via publishing service, I would also get an inquiry into those befor the above). So, are you referring to the delete vs remove in this dialog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

indreka8874749  wrote

I mark images that I don't want with an x and then choose "delete from disk" for rejected photos. The rejected photo then shows up in trash, but the original remains in the source folder. The delete from disk option worked properly until the last month or so. I would appreciate some guidance.

I am using Lightroom Classic CC version 7.5 on a Win 10 system.

This sounds more like a Windows issue than a Lightroom issue. Lightroom moves the image to the trash, as it's supposed to do. But somehow the system does not treat this as a move, but as a copy, apparently. Could it be that the images are locked?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The images are not locked. I can delete them from the source directory manually without difficulty.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens outside of lightroom to a file you delete? Close Lightroom, Bring up Widows Explorer (the file manager), navigate to the folder an image you wanted to delete is stored in. Place some file at that location, perhaps just a text file. Delete it, and see what happens. Heck, renumber what image you wanted to delete, see if you can delete it from within Explorer.

For the MAC only crowd, that would be the Finder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I delete directly using Explorer, the file goes to trash and disappears from the source folder as one would expect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Within Lightroom, after clicking "delete from disk" the file stays in the source folder. if I then add some new files to the same folder and then import from that folder, The images that I tried to delete show up again and are imported. It's as though Lightroom treats the files that were supposedly deleted from disk as new files and are not recognised as files that were previously imported.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, curiosity is up, so I started googling on this issue. Came up with this:

Use This Simple Trick to Delete Multiple Images in Lightroom - CaptureLandscapes

Now, you stated you marked (flagged) unwanted image with an X. The author of the above link uses that as a method of culling AND deleting based on the flag of Rejected. Thea author keys in CRL + DEL, and they go away. Is this what you are doing? I think most of us simply select all the ones we want to go away, then use the LR command to remove.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I go to the "photo" menu and select  "delete rejected photos"  from the drop down menu and then click the "delete from disk" box.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested on my system, Win 7 LR 8, and it works properly.

You could try deleting the preferences file. But I still think you have second copies of those images and it is those that you are deleting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the Keystroke is now CTRL BACKSPACE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, works on my Windows 10 PC LR CC Classic 8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like you have Copies of the images on some other drive or folder than you think they are in and it is those that you are deleting.

Right click on one of the photos and select Show in Explorer. Are you taken to the same drive and folder you think the photos are in?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for the pointer.

I normally copy files from the camera to a folder in my D drive, but for some reason copies show up in the "pictures" folder on my C drive. When I import into Lightroom from what is indicated as the folder in my D drive Lightroom points to my "pictures" folder on my C drive. Interestingly when i try to delete files from Lightroom, they stay in both locations even though a copy shows up in trash.

This is all very perplexing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines