Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Canon EOS R - Tethering

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Any ideas when Lightroom classic will be able to tether with the Canon EOS R?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

To build on dj_paige's reply, LR relies on tethering libraries provided by Canon and Nikon.  It appears that Canon itself doesn't yet support tethering the EOS R, since its EOS Utility doesn't support it: EOS Utility . See this FAQ in the official Adobe feedback forum for more details on how LR supports tethering of new cameras: Lightroom: When will my camera be supported for Tethering? | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Adobe never announces these things in advance anyway.

Usually, Canon cameras are supported eventually, some time, possibly several releases of Lightroom (yes, that's intentionally vague) after they are released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To build on dj_paige's reply, LR relies on tethering libraries provided by Canon and Nikon.  It appears that Canon itself doesn't yet support tethering the EOS R, since its EOS Utility doesn't support it: EOS Utility . See this FAQ in the official Adobe feedback forum for more details on how LR supports tethering of new cameras: Lightroom: When will my camera be supported for Tethering? | Photoshop Family Customer Community

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can work around by tethering with the canon EOS utility and then using Auto import watched folder in Lightroom. Its an extra step to set up but works just as well. Leave LR in front and minimise the EOS utility and run it in the background. Ive done it and it works great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good technique in general, but have you used the EOS R specifically with EOS Utility?  It isn't listed on the support page as a supported model: EOS Utility

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i have, works great

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of EOS Utility did you download/use? Can you provide a link? Thx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

canon.com/icpd  You'll need your serial#

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks but when I follow the link to Canon EOS R, and then click on the "Utilities" tab, it says "There is no utility for the OS Version you selected. I tried Mac and Windows OS. Are you using the "Image Transfer Utility" software and doing wireless tethering?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps NDT1711 can explain how he downloaded the utility.

The EOS R doesn't appear to have EOS Utility listed in Canon's database as a software utility applicable to the camera.  You can download the EOS Utility from the link I posted above: EOS Utility . If you select camera models that are listed on the left-hand side of that page, you'll the Utility listed under the Software tab:

But the EOS R isn't list on the left-hand side of that page.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this is possible. I downloaded the software from the link i provided above.

I use Eos Utility 3 to connect and remote shoot the camera. The image then opens in Digital Photo Professional 4.

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 10.09.50 am.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-16 at 9.56.17 am.jpgScreen Shot 2018-11-16 at 9.56.32 am.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which country are you in? After some digging, I found that if you select USA, the EOS Utility isn't available for download for the EOS R. But if you select United Kingdom, it is.  (Your screenshot of the Web page didn't match the US support page.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The software for the previous MacOS version works, here are the links for MacOS and Windows:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/6/0200005706/01/ksdm33.3a-installer.dmg.zip

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/2/0200005702/01/ksdw33.3a-installer.zip

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2019 Jan 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tested the EOS Utility and watched folder with Adobe Lightroom before my shoot and it worked fine when i got the shoot and tried same it failed, i had all kinds of attempts at wireless communication popping up from the EOS Utility but failed to communicate by cable. Luckily i still have my Canon 6D and i tethered and used it for the 2 day shoot.

I must say tethering is a lot more stable using Lightroom and the 6D than it used to be.

The question remains when is Lightroom going to enable direct tethering, its been a while now and i really dont want to have to start using Capture One i really prefer Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
May 17, 2019 May 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

The Canon EOS R is now supported for tethering in Lightroom Classic 8.3.

Please update to the latest version of Lightroom Classic and let us know if you are able to tether the device. Also, see A list of cameras that can be tethered to Lightroom Classic and Lightroom 6

Thanks,

Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 07, 2019 Jul 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will try again Akash, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2019 Nov 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI

I use Canon eos R and LR 9 .... I connect together and also follow the instructions. Everything goes well. But as I suddenly take a picture so I do not appear in the LR or save in the PC ... what am I doing wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Akash,

I just got done speaking with Adobe support regarding my inability to teather my Canon EOS Rebel T5 to Lightroom Classic cc 9.1 on the latest version of Mac OS.  They said...

"I would like to inform you that this is a known issue with new Lightroom classic and our team is currently working on it, till then I would request you to use Adobe Bridge to import images to the computer."

Can you confirm this and also when this bug will be fixed?  The only other option in this case is to use the Canon software for tethering, but since I'm paying for Adobe, I would prefer to use that.  Thank you!

Adam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Adam, 

Thanks for the heads up. You're right, currently there is a known issue with Canon cameras and Lightroom while tethring on Mac OS Catalina. Our engineers are on it and it will be fixed in a future update.

Thanks, 

^Akash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines