• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Adobe - ADB-4298674-B1Q4 - Issues with PDF files on both Acrobat Pro and Adobe Reader DC

New Here ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Please could you advice on the below issue here. I am not really sure why is this happening and googling doesn't give much info.

Product : Adobe Acrobat PRO and Adobe Reader DC.

Issue : When scrolling through PDF files using Adobe Reader DC or Adobe Acrobat Pro, below error pops up.

error : ''There was an error processing a page. A number is out of range''

This happens especially with large PDF files.

We are on Windows 10 - 1709(16299.726) Dell machines. We are a bank and I am from IT support and this is happening for lot of users here especially for extensive PDF users. This is not happening for just one PDF file, but for most of them.

One workaround for now is to rename the pdf files, but this workaround is sub optimal because of constantly running into issue then fixing it by re-saving and the count of files are more.

It would be really nice if this can be checked and advise on how can we fix this.

We have updated Adobe reader DC to the latest version : 19.008.20071. However Acrobat Pro is on XI.  Please also advice how can I download the latest version of Acrobat Pro.

Another question I have is : When Adobe Reader DC is upgraded by pushing it from back end in enterprise level to the latest/next version, it obviously shuts the existing PDF files on users machine which is fine. However after the upgrade, when adobe reader is launched again, it should ideally show the most recent PDF files that were opened. But that is not the case here. It shows some older ones and some of the extensive users are finding it difficult to launch those PDFs again.

This has got nothing to do with enterprise level update as the same happens when installed manually on a single machine.

I called up the support and explained the above issue, but I was asked to drop a note here, so that experts can answer this. Please help.!!

Adobe case number : Adobe - ADB-4298674-B1Q4

Thanks in advance.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Press and hold the ctrl key and mouse click on the OK button. What message did you get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something which can't be reproduced on my machine as I am not an extensive PDF user. User is on vacation and have to wait till he is back. When I checked with other users, they are not getting this error. But the PDF goes blank when you scroll down through the pages. This usually happens when the PDF is kept open and idle for sometime. This started happening recently and it was working fine on previous versions.

I can try the one mentioned by you once user is available and I have also informed other users to keep us posted if they see the error I mentioned above so that I can post the answer for your question here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it happens only after a time, check if the problem files always are on the network. See if it ever happens with local files. Ask the user if the file might have been open overnight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the quick reply. However the files are not kept open overnight. But user is mentioning about files kept idle/open for 30 minutes or an hour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat Pro DC can be obtained on subscription. Acrobat Pro XI is EOL.

It is susprising if this is solved by renaming a file. Can you confirm that? It normally means there is an error in the contents of a specific page, and you are trying to view the page. Ensure in your tests you go to the same page view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have a subscription with adobe and hence the name Global Servicedesk. However I think I am making a mistake and not getting anywhere to download the latest Acrobat Pro DC. Would appreciate if you can help me where to navigate to download the latest version please.

Please refer the following article as this suggests the workaround and its only the workaround and not fix.

https://answers.acrobatusers.com/What-does-a-number-is-out-of-range-mean-q244667.aspx

And it is definitely not corrupted contents as it happens for most of the PDF files. So I strongly believe the files that are downloaded have no issues. In fact users have been doing and relying on these files for quite a while for research purpose and it all started happening recently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have a retail license for Acrobat Pro DC or Creative Cloud all apps, go here: Download and install Acrobat DC subscription

Do NOT do this if you have a team or enterprise license. In this case you MUST use the software made available to your license coordinator via the licensing portal.

So, are these files being read from a network share directly? If so, ask the user if the file might have been open overnight.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes from Network share (OneDrive and DFS) but not kept overnight. I am telling about files kept open for an hour or 30 minutes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 21, 2018 Nov 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi nbimg,

Sorry for the delay in response. 

Could you let us know dot version of Acrobat currently installed on the machines? ? You may refer to the steps given in this link on how to check the version in Acrobat: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

How the pdfs are created - for ex. using the Acrobat tab in MS word?

Would it be possible to share one of the pdf file you are working with to replicate the issue at our end? To share the file here in the forums, refer to the steps given in this link: How to share a file using Adobe Document Cloud

You may also share the link for the pdf via private message - How Do I Send Private Message

Also, try saving the file locally (from network share) on the machine and keep them open for an hour or so and see if still getting the error message.

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines