Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

All develop presets are missing since v.8 update to LR Classic

New Here ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I have spent hours trying to get my develop presets (standard presets and user presets) to populate since updating to CC Classic version 8 a couple of days ago. When I go in to preferences and select select "show lightroom develop presets" it takes me to Roaming -> Adobe -> Camera Raw -> Settings. All of my presets are in the folder as XMP files with no extra characters that precede the preset title. I have even created a "test" preset from the presets tab in LR to see if it would populate something new. The pop-up screen indicates that a new preset has been created but the presets panel remains empty. When I look in the Settings file, the test preset is listed.

I even checked my presets by going in to Photoshop ACR. All of my presets are listed there and active. I created a new preset within ACR expecting that it would populate in LR. It did not. Just trying to test things.

This is driving me nuts as I use LR all the time. I think I've tried all the simple fixes - even made sure that I had full Admin and user rights to things.

Can anyone help???  Many thanks!!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Time to give Adobe a call.

If I had this issue I would be removing all instances on my PC of Lightroom, I would uninstall LR via the Adobe Creative Cloud Desktop Application, as Adobe intends. I would use my Windows App removal (like I would remove other products), I would go into Windows Explorer (file manager) and delete the application folders (the ones in Program Files @and any in Program Files (x86), I might also remove Photoshop while I am at it and ACR. If I was very daring I might edit th

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the presets tab, click on the +, select manage, see if your missing presets are listed, and just need to have the box checked to display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David!

Yes, I tried that early on, as well. All presets are listed and checked. That's why all of this is so weird! Everything is there - it just doesn't populate in the presets module for use.

Thanks again for your reply!

-Pat

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S9+, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Initial troubleshooting steps:

1. Make sure you're editing a raw, not a JPEG. Some presets (those containing raw profiles) won't display when you edit a JPEG.

2. Do the menu command Help > System Info and copy the first ten lines here.  Sometimes an update bug causes LR 8 to act screwy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John!

Yes, I doubled checked that I was selecting raw photos, not JPEG.

Here is the system info you requested:

Lightroom Classic version: 8.0

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition

Version: 10.0.17134

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 12

Processor speed: 3.4 GHz

Built-in memory: 32691.7 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 32691.7 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 1655.5 MB (5.0%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1647.1 MB

GDI objects count: 623

USER objects count: 2535

Process handles count: 1907

Memory cache size: 185.2MB

Internal Camera Raw revision: 61

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

Camera Raw virtual memory: 717MB / 16345MB (4%)

Camera Raw real memory: 736MB / 32691MB (2%)

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

A little more FYI: The check box for “store presets with this catalog” is NOT checked. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled LR v 8 two times. And very interestingly, I also re-installed the 7.5 version as I was willing to us that since the presets worked before I updated to v.8. However…. When I opened v 7.5 – the presets no longer populated in the develop module of that version, either. Something about installing the v 8 really screwed things up somewhere!!

Thanks, again!

Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a Creative Cloud license, not perpetual, so you haven't been bit by the upgrade bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The check box for  “store presets with this catalog” is NOT checked. 

Since 7.3, that option no longer affects the location of develop presets, so it won't be causing your issue in any case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's rule out that there's something screwy with the presets themselves: Upload one to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here.  We can verify that it imports into our LR correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0nzpqvlupn6lig6/AABes_FMvZg9iajHjU9n1JG2a?dl=0

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/0nzpqvlupn6lig6/AABes_FMvZg9iajHjU9n1JG2a?dl=0

I downloaded this as a .zip from Dropbox and used the File > Import Develop Profiles and Presets command to import them successfully into my LR 8.0:

So I think we can rule out anything problematic about the presets themselves.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sy39ln2wu8gqu47/Screenshot%202018-11-01%2016.35.48.png?dl=0

Here is a screen shot of of where the LR develop presets are located on my computer. Just FYI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, when you open one of those sub folders (HDR Presets for example) are the presets in that sub folder, or have you created an additional leval of folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://www.dropbox.com/s/z5d6jwkhs0zs0av/Screenshot%202018-11-01%2016.49.11.png?dl=0

Yes, the presets are in the subfolders. I have them configured this way with LR v 7.5, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so I see or assume you went into your preferences, and clicked on the presets tab, and then clicked on "show lightroom develop presets". And LR brought of the folder they are supposedly in (  Roaming -> Adobe -> Camera Raw -> Settings) . Now, while you are in the same folder "Settings" is in, scroll up and notice a folder "ImportedSettings"  (  Roaming -> Adobe -> Camera Raw -> ImportedSettings ). Did a bit of experimentation, when in LR, in presets you go and import some, this is the folder lightroom places those in.

Now , both folders have worked for me, but go and try to copy some to ImportedSettings.

P.S. in LR try the optimize tool just in case. Both folders should work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David-

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

I tested your suggestion re: the “ImportedSettings” folder. There were a handful of presets in that folder that were not listed in the “Settings” folder. I did copy one of my preset folders that was in Settings over to the “ImportedSettings” folder. Still, nothing populated in the presets module.

I also used the optimize tool early on in this process, as well.

-Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A similar posting exist:

Lightroom Presets Not Working

One possibility came up

3.  Re: Lightroom Presets Not Working

cmgap Adobe Community Professional

Under preferences > do you have Store with this Catalog checked or unchecked.

3rd party presets that you have purchased require that the box be unchecked in order to show up.

User Presets can be found in their previous location either by searching or by clicking on the link to Show Where Presets are Stored button. You  may need to copy and paste them to the new Lightroom folder in your Pictures/Lightroom/Lightroom Settings folder

Otherwise, likely as johnrellis suspects, a corrupt install (also mentioned inabove posting)

OHHH, if the fix/setting by cmgap is helpful, go back into that post and thank her (not me)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to check, a picture is worth a lot more than the words. Following is an screen shopt of waht I see whern I goto the manage option in the LR presets::

In this example, the internal to Lightroom general preset B$W filter has been turned on. Is this what you are doing in this step to make those presets visible??

Moving further down and taking another screen shot:

I have turnrd on a 3rd party preset (think I may have renamed), Can not remember if my User Presets was already checked on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your screen shots are what I used to see prior to this update. What you are showing me are the “standard” presets and I can’t even get those to populate! As you can see by my screen shot – everything is absent!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fu8hc3qh9hzjgh9/AADRffHa5hzfDSCtAIntFdx8a?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hunting on google, your issue is really bugging me, as opposed to moving on and waiting for another member to solve. I noticed several people advising to reset preferences, so I went and did that to see what occurs.  (reset all default develop settings) Screen shot of place to do this (or at least what I did) . Notice all the frigging presets I turned of popping back up on the left:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David!

I just tried to reset the preferences and got a big nothing!! I even closed LR and back in again to see if that would work.

I am, however, attaching a screen shot of what has been happening with with the left set of modules. As you can see, they multiply whenever I select “Presets” more than once. This is so weird and I have searched all over the internet for a solution. Haven’t seen this one before.

Thanks again for your help!

-Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ooop! Forgot to attach the link

https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2zzxrvk1ue18ya/Screenshot%202018-11-01%2016.43.13.png?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possibility I see mentioned in various issues in various forums is a corrupt presets. and mentioning of deleting then recreating. I do not have the steps for this.

Perhaps another member???

Ah, perhaps in this thread:

Lightroom Classic 7.3.1: Since update, the presets don't work | Photoshop Family Customer Community

By the way, appears this problem is not unique to v8

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I saw that in several posts, as well.

I did send John a file via dropbox so he could try to load them. They worked fine for him – loaded without a problem. So I don’t think this is the issue……

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure which of may various babbling s, you are noting. Was that the link to where resting preferences by holding ALT and the SHIFT key down when relaunching Lightroom??

Tried that to see what would happen (bringing up my test catalog just in case of damage) and no big deal other than Lightroom treating me like it was the first time I brought this version up (welcome.... new features... bla bla bla).  MInd you my presets are behaving so nothing to prove as to a fix. It did not, however, fortunately, turn all those third party ones on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, Sorry, David, I didn’t see anything about holding ALT and the SHIFT key when relauching. What is that supposed to do?

-Pat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines