Community Expert ,
Oct 23, 2018 Oct 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the senario in which people lose their files is only about 1% but for Windows users that is still a lot of people

Microsoft did not miss it, they ignored it which imo is worse but that is not an uncommon attitude or one which only Microsoft applies to their busniess

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no issues when Windows upgraded my workstation but on the other hand i never use the system drive for personal files and do daily backups.

For a couple of days ago i decided to do a clean install of 1809 and was so sure that i downloaded the 1809 build from Microsoft. I failed to see that the version i actually downloaded was 1803. Confirmation bias...?

So in the end got two surprises: The first being that i installed the wrong version, 1803, of Windows and the second one was that OneNote is now removed from Office 365/Office 2019. I could download OneNote 2016 separatly but i dont understand why Microsoft drops it and promts the end user to use the OneNote app in Win 10 when it cannot open local OneNote books. The desktop version of OneNote EOL. I still wonder why...

Win 10 1809 is still unaviable . Maybe the Spring 2018 update become Winter 2018 update?

I hope that this is not the future of software companys with subscriptions, that they just withdraw applications without much info about why the do it. I remember when several version of Premiere Pro/AME/Ae got withdrawn when CC 2018 were released.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Averdahl  wrote

I still wonder why...

because the file system changed to store documents in skydrive | onedrive [what ever its called this week] and Microsoft wants people to use that service so they force it as part of the upgrade list i.e, docs are moved to onedrive which by default lives on the c drive under the users profile... yes what could possibly go wrong right

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John.

I look after the four computers and one shared printer at the Citizens Advice Bureau where I volunteer.  We recently got four new HP ProDesk systems with Windows 10, and a discounted Office 2016 volume license.    They'd been working fine for about two weeks when one went into a non recoverable startup loop with a error message that resolved to Windows Update.

So I fixed that, and was told  another had done the same thing.  While I was there fixing the second system, a third failed with the same thing!  I have them all with a recover image in case they fail again, but I still don't know why they are failing, so all I have done so far is pause Windows updates for the MAX (sorry Dave ) allowed 35 days.  I look forward to reading the PC World article to see if it helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd look in Device Manager - View Hidden devices and disable the virtual adapters one at a time... willing to bet you Microsoft is pulling one of their "use only our signed drivers" trick on you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis  wrote

all I have done so far is pause Windows updates for the MAX (sorry Dave ) allowed 35 days. 

Trevor, following your advice, I also tried to pause Windows updates this morning for the MAX allowed of 35 days, and while I was looking for pause, which I never found, Windows updated itself to 1808.

Oh, and I am also sorry, Dave.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane I am only pausing updates on the CAB computers until I can work out what is going wrong with them.  The four Windows systems at home are all still on auto update. Your Advanced options are different to mine.

The two desktop systems at home are still on Windows 10 1803, and I am now inclined to keep them that way.  I have a Shadow Protect license for my main desktop, but I haven't got round to creating boot drive image, and it would be a royal PITA to have it do the same thing as the CAB computers.  I strongly suspect that the CAB computer problem is to do with them being HP Prodesk.  They came with Windows 7 and a bunch of  DVDs including Windows 10, but I had to change the BIOS in order to install Windows 10.   I can't put my hands on the paperwork for that right now, and I don't remember off the top of my head what I had to change in the BIOS, but I do know I didn't change it back, and it might be that it would best if had been changed back.  It's  a ten minute job to fix the CAB systems if they break again, now I have an OS image to reset to, but I still have to reinstall Office.  I did worry about Office running out of Activations, but it obviously recognised the hardware, and  didn't even ask for a serial number.   Now wouldn't it be nice if the pre-CC Photoshop versions had done that.  All moot now..   Blimey, I just wrote off those thousands (millions?) of people who still use earlier versions.

Taking John's thread off topic, I wonder how many unused earlier version licenses we have between us?  I've just looked, and I have three versions of Photoshop, two Premiere  Pro, and an InDesign all registered and currently unused.    At the time, I bet we all thought we were using amazing software...  The best in the world.  It seems a shame that that software now goes unused.  Old versions of Premiere Pro would have limited use because of their outdated CODECs, and some of my earlier Adobe software is 32 bit, but it did the job for us back in the day. [1]

[1]  I just reminded myself with the 'back in the day' comment, which is something Jack Reacher would say.  Two days, as I type this, till the next Reacher book 'Past Tense' is released.   There are an awful lot  of reviews for  this book considering has not been released yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>Jack Reacher

I know that Hollywood "takes liberties" when converting a book to a movie, but after reading one Jack Reacher novel it really irritated me that the LARGE man described in the book was played by the not large at all Tom Cruise

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 11, 2018 Nov 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/John+T+Smith  wrote

>Jack Reacher

I know that Hollywood "takes liberties" when converting a book to a movie, but after reading one Jack Reacher novel it really irritated me that the LARGE man described in the book was played by the not large at all Tom Cruise

There was quite a backlash about this back at the time.  It's sad to say, but my impression is that Lee Child has become too focused on the bottom line.  I still look forward to each new Reacher book, but Past Tense was disappointing.   [SPOILER] one of the most significant plot lines seemed to just fizzle out near the end of the book.  It was like Lee Child had fulfilled is contractual obligation to his publisher, so he slipped in a paragraph about some serious bad guys getting bored so they went home.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Article that says what a lot of people already know... Microsoft is NOT doing a good job of testing before updating

Microsoft needs to clean up its Windows update act ASAP - SlashGear

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

all US companies have moved away from testing because it costs money and the truth is people pay for a product without knowing if it works or not (at the time) so testing is not seen as good return

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That article is overly dramatic, making "points" out of thin air.

I can't speak for 1809, as I never received that on any of my three machines.

But aside from that, I honestly can't recall ever having problems with any Windows update. Clean up what, exactly? Compared to almost any other software company, Microsoft has a stellar record. "No Windows 10 update has been without some major problem" - what problems are they talking about? I've certainly not seen them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have not had any major problems, and we do have the 1809 update on both our computers

We both did have the false message that our Win10 installs were not valid when Microsoft messed up their validation server, but they fixed that after a few days

But... other people have had problems, and Microsoft does sometimes have to issue a patch after an update, so the general idea of the article contains a few grains of truth about not enough testing being done

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering the hardware and systems this has to run on - all of it! - I think it's still safe to say that Microsoft has a stellar record.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/D+Fosse  wrote

That article is overly dramatic, making "points" out of thin air.

I can't speak for 1809, as I never received that on any of my three machines.

But aside from that, I honestly can't recall ever having problems with any Windows update. Clean up what, exactly? Compared to almost any other software company, Microsoft has a stellar record. "No Windows 10 update has been without some major problem" - what problems are they talking about? I've certainly not seen them.

You might have a look at the mess the Windows 10 (1803) build create in Photoshop and Elements. Hundreds of discussions for thousands of users requiring to edit the registry.

Elements:

Error: An integer between 50 and 8 is required | Elements | Windows 10

Photoshop:

Error while accessing performance preferences - 'An integer between 96 and 8 is required.'

Photoshop Elements 2018 memory problems - unable to edit and save files

Nicht genug Arbeitsspeicher nach Windows 10-Update

The main critique for Microsoft was and is still the impossiblity to roll back to a previous version.

Really not "thin air" for ACPs trying to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That was a Photoshop bug, I remember it well, I was in the Photoshop forum daily at the time. It was fixed by a Photoshop update, the registry edit was a temporary workaround until the update was released. When that update came out, users were required to reverse the registry edit.

Obviously bugs are never one-sided. One change might trigger problems elsewhere. But the Photoshop memory issue didn't hit that many people. None of the regulars on the PS forum ever saw it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously, you missed the issue by that time.

I should have given a link to the most interesting discussion in the feedback forum.

Photoshop CC 2018: An integer between 96 and 8 is required. Closest value inserted. "Could not compl...  Just have a look at the post by Hanna Nicollet (who disclosed the workaround) where she states:

"I'm glad the fix helped. Michel is right that I don't have time to help everyone personally -- a video with the workaround for this issue had 54,000 views as of yesterday. Needless to say I wouldn't have been able to help over 50,000 people personally."

For the record, while the bug was corrected rapidly in Photoshop, it was only solved in last september in Elements. And you know what? by editing the registry when installing the last (paying) version, PSE 2019. Which leaves the users of the three older versions with the registry edit as the only working solution.

The general issue for OS providers is how keep running with old features while introducing new ones. Contrary to what you seem to think, I totally agree with your opinion:

"This is a sidetrack. This isn't what it's about. I never said Windows has always been completely bug-free, of course it hasn't. What I said was that compared to other software companies, Windows has a very good record. It doesn't look to me like Apple is doing any better."

In the fifty or so posts I had to write to angry users in the Elements forum, I made it clear that I understand the need for Microcoft to move ahead. My critique was about the impossibility to roll back to the previous Win 10 build. And for Apple, just have a look at the Elements user to user forum or the feedback forum about the introduction of Mojave...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

MichelBParis  wrote

My critique was about the impossibility to roll back to the previous Win 10 build.

Microsoft Windows is designed as a general 'one size fits all' system... you can roll it back if you have set it up to allow that option and there are a few different senarios like virtual builds inside Hyper-v or 3rd party backup software

yes the current Windows build has major problems that effect a small % of the millions of worldwide users and not just with Adobe software and yes Apple Mac is no saint so the people that learn to understand their systems and adapt when bugs stop their work flows will survive and the ones that assume Adobe, Microsoft or Apple [& any other big company] have it under control will lose out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Point taken, Michel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a sidetrack. This isn't what it's about. I never said Windows has always been completely bug-free, of course it hasn't. What I said was that compared to other software companies, Windows has a very good record. It doesn't look to me like Apple is doing any better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd be interested to see if that out of ram issue was addressed in the newest win 10 1809 build, so older photoshop/photoshop elements versions without the adobe fix would not need to have registry key added. I haven't installed the 1809 update yet.

I'm wondering if that was actually a bug in adobe photoshop elements/photoshop that was exposed when Microsoft changed or deleted some legacy code in the 1803 win 10 version.

Is it a coincidence that the same fix for the out of ram issue was the same fix for an issue at least going back to windows xp

of not be able to access the Performance Preference pane, i don't know?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well i went ahead and updated to 1809 and the answer is the update does not fix the low ram issue.

One still needs to modify the registry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jeff+Arola  wrote

Well i went ahead and updated to 1809 and the answer is the update does not fix the low ram issue.

One still needs to modify the registry.

Version 1809 is not yet available for me.

That may depend on Win 10 versions or countries.

Also, rolling back to an older build is available for advances users with the 'pro' version. As far as I know, it's impossible with the basic Win 10 'home' version.

Out of curiosity, the registry modification is automatically installed by Adobe when you install the latest Elements 2019 as well as the last Photoshop CC version update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there are roll back options that work on the home verson as well but yes there are major issues with the lastest Microsoft update ... make a backup of your system before upgrading it to 1809

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines