• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated Premiere 2019, color problems

Community Beginner ,
Oct 31, 2018 Oct 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to the latest version and when I open an exisiting project, open a new one, etc, the colors on the raw video files are much more contrasted as opposed to the raw image they really are. How can I adjust for it to open correctly?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No way to offer suggestions without more information.

What's your OS and GPU ... have you manually gone to the manufacturer's website and updated to the newest series and recently released drivers for that GPU?

What sort of media are you working ... what format/codec, created by ... what?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to MAC OS Mojave 10.14.1 and updated new premiere 2019. Had this issue updating the premiere before. Had to re-install older version but that isn't working this time. I read your responses to other posts about OS compatibility but I need to find a solution.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What's the format/codec used?

Can you post screen-grab comparisons?

Which monitor ... and have you tried the "Enable display color management"?

as opposed to the raw image they really are

How are you determining the original state?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

left is the raw file. Right is what Premiere 2019 does to it, no grading. Premiere 2017 doesn't do this so I'm using that version right now. This is Linear PCM, H.264 from a canon dslr

Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 2.26.55 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is that image on the left being shown in?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quicktime player

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QuickTime player does ​not​ show any file correctly. It's color-blind, pays no attention to the tags/flags for color space & such. Period. Not particularly useful for actual professional media evaluation.

Potplayer & VLC do, as far as the system is set up for it.

New Macs using the various P3 monitors they've gone to present an interesting challenge. The video standards for Rec709 media (nearly all b-cast/video media is Rec709 or used as such in post-processing/distribution) involve two parts: the original Rec709 camera transform function (think ... curves applied to the image data) and the added Bt 1886 ​display​ transform function that came into use a few years back. PrPro applies both sets of transform,  applying the complete current standard.

From their testing, the engineering staff think that the recent & current Apple OS and FCPx ​apply only the first part, the camera transform function, and ​not​ the second part, the display transform function. The white/black points are actually the same, but the curve used for data placed between them is slightly different.

Older pre-P3 Macs in some way treated things differently, and although there has always been the issue of QuickTime player being a bad boy, in general the machines seemed to work with full Rec709 media as expected.

There's a new setting in PrPro 2019 that can partially help with working with Rec709 media on a Mac/P3 system, in the preferences: enable ​display​ color management. Have you tried that? As PrPro works internally to the pro-video set of Rec709/sRGB standards including both transforms, this option can help especially in the Mac OS on P3 systems to match the program to the monitor (which is ​not​ in the proper display color space for pro video work without transforms being applied). An NLE of course can't 'control' the monitor ... that's up to the OS, the particular monitor, and the user.

To really "see" the material as close to perfect as possible ... takes a system with the video output going to an external box with LUT-calibration settings in that box, to a proper broadcast-capable monitor. That type of gear is a must for colorists, and some editors do use such also. Many of us don't.

And ... I'm always amazed at how many Mac users assume that whatever monitor comes with their computer is perfectly calibrated forever and ever ... and never have even checked the color space/profile the monitor and OS are set for, nor calibrated that monitor (if possible) for Rec709/sRGB at video levels using a puck-software setup ​at the minimum​.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not to be a wet blanket, but even with vlc, i don't think it would match perfectly because premiere would be doing the display transform to bt1886 and VLC uses srgb 2.2.

At this time, I don't see any alternatives for mac users. the bt1886 has kinda gone down the rabbit hole for regular consumers who don't own an external monitor. and madvr/ mph-hc is win only. vlc can't 1886, so I'm kinda at a loss right now.

im curious if bt1886 to srgb transform is possible inside premiere to match FCPX.

CreativeCOW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info. I don't think this is my issue though, it's definitely something in the updated Premiere engine. My only work around is using the 2017 version until a better update comes out.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So CC2017 on Mojave looks normal while CC2019 shows color degradation? Is this correct?

If so R Neil Haugen​ would u think the new Lumetri panels are causing some sort of issue.

I have never come across any color issues as yet with the exception of a test machine thats on Mojave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are some differences between the 2017 and 2018 actions of some controls in Lumetri,  2019 seems dead on to 2018 on PC.

So if comparing 2017 to 2019, there are some differences but again, those were in the 2018 release.

The new multiple Lumetri layers dropdown and the 5 new curves tools are well worth moving to 2019. Cut down my needs for secondaries to near nothing.

And the enable display management option helps some of the newer Macs with P3 monitors.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, CC2019 (and a re-install of CC 2018) displays oversaturated, over-contrasted raw video both in the work area and upon export. CC2017 doesn't have this problem.

This isn't the first time I've run into this issue with updating the CC Premiere. At one point, an incremental version of CC2018 did this as well so I had to revert back to an older version. Now I have to go all the way back to CC2017...

I'll look more into the Lumetri panels but upon first glance, there are no differences in settings btw my working and new versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some users, Mojave seems to cause video changes. No clue what that's about. I do know of editors working in Mojave doing ok.

I don't recall if you mentioned it above but what monitor/s are you using, how are they being fed signal through what output device, and what settings and calibration have you done?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iMac Pro 3.2 GHz Intel Xeon W, 32G ram, Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB, Latest Mojave, latest 13.0.1 Premiere CC. But complicated color/graphics confusopoly

Back to CC2017 despite today's update...just working to get my work done, not to troubleshoot this much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not use CC2018. More stable that 17.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2018 now does the same thing as 2019 to my footage, no idea why

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's another user who's got a number of Macs ... his 10.13 rigs (High Sierra?) work fine with 2019/13.x. His 10.14 rigs (Mohave) all show a slight difference. What a flipping pain. NO clue how to fix this, at this time ... sadly.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if Adobe and Apple have picked up on this as yet. CC2019 or Mojave or both? Time for some coders to get their fine tooth combs out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's a thread where this came up, and one of the team engineers was participating. So the PrPro guys are at least aware of it. Now, posting about this on the UserVoice system, or "upvoting" a post about this already on that forum, would be a very good thing.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appreciate everyone's comments and concern. Have a great week!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. The one change that was made was the update to Mojave. The files are all the same. The codecs are the same. CC2019 is the only other change. On my REC calibrated monitors (THX calibrated as well) I noticed a slight change in gamma and contrast using Mojave compared to how these displayed on Sierra. Apple has made a few significant display changes on Mojave with night mode etc so my thinking is the OS seems to be the culprit here. Do u have another machine thats running an older OS with CC2019 that you could do a side by side comparison on? Please let me know but I am almost sure this is the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this ... and keep testing on it! This is a massive puzzler for so many.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Neil. Will do Neil. Keeping a close eye on this one. Will test between a few Dell Utrasharps and a few 4K screens and let u know how its looking. This far all Macs on Mojave seem to be displaying in this manner. HDMI, DVI, Mini DisplayPort ...all the same results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh ... wonder what is going on in the OS?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines