• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Publish Service - Flickr - Download Comments

Explorer ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I posted a similar question in 2013 and never got a satisfactory acknowledgement or answer. It has been bugging me for years and since the recent update is a real hassle.  I use the inbuilt Flickr publish service module to add images to my Flickr Pro account. When it has completed uploading it immediately starts downloading comments from Flickr and checks through all the images I have previously uploaded. Im my case this is close to 40,000 images.  I am getting annoying popup windows with an error message saying unable to download comments. This happens randomly whilst I am trying to work. Very annoying.  Also, every single time I upload I have to manually cancel the download comments process.  I never ever want to download comments. I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would as the comments are easy to see on the Flickr website recent activity. Why is it there and always on by default with no way to turn it off in the settings?  Please someone from Adobe can you action a change.  This surely is a simple few lines of code in the Lightroom Publishing Manager preferences pane for Flickr.

Anyone else use the Flickr plugin and find this annoying?  Using the Flickr plugin for me is integral to what I do and I use it 7 days a week... 

Flickr Publish Service - Inability to Stop "Retreiving Comments for Photostream" Process

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

There is no way to disable the built-in Flickr plugin from downloading comments, unfortunately.

I am getting annoying popup windows with an error message saying unable to download comments.

These are due to intermittent errors in Flickr's servers. Flickr's quality of service has been steadily dropping the last many years. I can't upload more than 5 - 50 photos before the upload fails and I have to restart it.  I was hoping that SmugMug's acquisition of Flickr from Yahoo / Verizon last spring woul

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no way to disable the built-in Flickr plugin from downloading comments, unfortunately.

I am getting annoying popup windows with an error message saying unable to download comments.

These are due to intermittent errors in Flickr's servers. Flickr's quality of service has been steadily dropping the last many years. I can't upload more than 5 - 50 photos before the upload fails and I have to restart it.  I was hoping that SmugMug's acquisition of Flickr from Yahoo / Verizon last spring would start addressing these issues, but I haven't seen any noticeable improvement.

Downloading of comments has always been particularly slow.

I cannot for the life of me see why anyone would as the comments are easy to see on the Flickr website recent activity.

I find downloading of comments invaluable for my digital archive of tens of thousands of photos. The comments get permanently archived in my catalog (in case Flickr disappears in a puff of greasy black smoke in the future), and I can quickly search the comments (using my Any Comment plugin), sometimes years after they were made.  I publish portions of the archive on multiple services, so having them consolidated is a real help.

Please someone from Adobe can you action a change.  This surely is a simple few lines of code in the Lightroom Publishing Manager preferences pane for Flickr.

You can post a feature request in the official Adobe feedback forum: Lightroom Classic CC | Photoshop Family Customer Community . Adobe product developers read everything posted there and sometimes reply, but they rarely read this forum.

Adobe has paid little attention to the Flickr plugin over the years. You might consider this third-party Flickr plugin, which is much better supported, has more features, and recently added the option for disabling the download of comments: Jeffrey Friedl's Blog » Jeffrey’s “Export to Flickr” Lightroom Plugin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks John, I'll give Jeffrey's plugin a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines