Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Puzzled at export resolution

Engaged ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's the scenario:

1)  I did a recent shoot with a Canon 5D Mk IV.  Full resolution with that body is 6720 x 4480.

2)  I retouched and exported a few hundred JPGs at full resolution, like I always do.

3)  When uploading to an gallery I noticed that some images were uploading too quickly to make sense.

4)  When I looked at those images, some were exported at the maximum resolution but some were not.

5)  I tried a few things with one of those small images.  Lightroom shows that after slight copping, the image is 6298 x 4199 but the resolution when exporting as NOT RESIZED is only 2399 x 1600.  When I export as "resize to 100%" it's 6297 x 4199, as expected.

I'm afraid that I've sent photos to clients expecting that that I was exporting at the maximum resolution when something is either interfering.

Any ideas why this would happen?  LR Classic CC 8.0.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This normally happens if Lightroom Classic only has a smart preview for the image available. On these images it probably lost the location of the image or it is on an external hard disk that is offline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have mentioned that I did read about that and double-checked before posting my messages above.  The images ARE in place so that shouldn't be the issue.  (Though I do build smart previews for editing purposes.)

Any other ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By "exporting" do you mean using the export tool in which you export to a hard drive and/or Plugin. OR, are you referring to using the Publish Services within Lightroom? And if, so, which one?.

Here?

Or here:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The former.  File > Export > Export To: Hard Drive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a bug then. If it has full resolution raw available it should use those at export time. Do you have the "use smart previews instead of originals for image editing" preference turned on? Try turning it off if so. If not, try discarding the smart preview on the images that have this issue (just click on the "original+smart preview" right below the histogram) and exporting again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Jao+vdL  wrote

Looks like a bug then. If it has full resolution raw available it should use those at export time. Do you have the "use smart previews instead of originals for image editing" preference turned on? Try turning it off if so. If not, try discarding the smart preview on the images that have this issue (just click on the "original+smart preview" right below the histogram) and exporting again.

Yes, I do use smart previews for editing for performance reasons.  I unchecked that option and exported again using the non-resized option.  It's still too small (2399 x 1600), so it doesn't look like that option is what's causing the problem. 

Hmmm.  I tried clicking the Smart Preview link right under the histogram and it shows "this photo is missing or offline, but it can still be edited using its Smart Preview".  I double-checked everything and... the folder containing the photos was incomplete, which explains why some images exported as full resolution and others did not.  It looks like the copy did not successfully complete.

So... false alarm here.  I blame too many long days of photo shoots and editing.  😄

Thanks for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Glad to help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so, when you looked at exported file size, did you look at the copies on your hard drive, or is this the file size of what is at the web page (gallery)

Oh, I am assuming by Gallery, you mean somewhere on the Internet. Like Smugmug, or Fiker, perhaps Facebook.???

And are we talking JPEG???

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines