• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

I Give Up....I Can't Fix IT. No Video's Using IE-11

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem: Videos do not play on Youtube or any other website.

Background. I never use IE, always Firefox. I had to upgrade from IE8 to the latest Internet Explorer, IE11 because a software package I use uses IE in the stuff it does behind the scenes, and they recently had a major upgrade which rendered my IE8 (which worked for years behind the scenes) outdated. Now the video feed I get through that software doesn't work.

So I opened IE-11 and tried Youtube just for fun. The videos get an error message. "An error occurred, please try again later"

When on the MSN Homepage this is the error message I get when clicking on a video:  We're sorry, an error has occurred when playing video (video format is not supported).

I like a good challenge, and I'm moderately skilled with computer things. This one has got me beat. 2 days on and off taking updates etc. I have went through forums and I can't find a solution, none of the things I have done work.

Things I've done and system details:

Windows 7 Home Premium. All up to date. SP-1

64 Bit

-I have done a "clean flash uninstall" where you run Adobe's cleaner and then go in and manually delete files; followed up with a fresh install. (This tutorial:  How do I do a clean install of Flash Player - Windows? )

-I have Active X filtering unchecked under IE tools.

-I went in Internet options and basically enabled everything for ActiveX "internet options/security/custom level"  tried every combination... reset back to original. Nothing worked (obviously). Did the same thing under the advanced tab/ messed with all those settings that might have something to do with it; no luck.... reset back to original.

-I tried using that "Compatibility View Settings" by entering YouTube... no luck.

-And This is puzzling:  I can see the animation in the little picture with the clouds moving on this link, and it shows that I have the latest Flash installed.

Flash Player Help

Flash Player Help

I have literally tried everything.  Could this be a 62/32 Bit thing in IE? Under the add-ons tab it shows as Adobe 32 Bit and 62 Bit 31.0.0.122

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any of these YouTube messages mention Flash? They shouldn't. YouTube USED TO use Flash, but it hasn't for ages now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do any of these YouTube messages mention Flash? They shouldn't. YouTube USED TO use Flash, but it hasn't for ages now.

Thanks for responding. No, they don't mention flash. The screen is black with the error I cited above.

Here's another thing (clue?) that's interesting... when I go to the Adobe page that allows you to adjust your settings, that image that has the settings is not there.  This page.

Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Global Privacy Settings Panel

Screen-grab below:

Untitleqqd.png

It doesn't make sense.  As I said, that one link with the clouds moving worked and it read my IE as having the updated version installed. But why wouldn't the above page work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the OP mentioned, YouTube does not use Flash.  Hasn't used it in years, therefore, the YouTube issues you are encountering are not related to Flash.

Most major browser vendors disable/block Flash by default.  See Enable Flash Player for Internet Explorer for assistance.

Could this be a 62/32 Bit thing in IE? Under the add-ons tab it shows as Adobe 32 Bit and 62 Bit 31.0.0.122

On a 64-bit OS, the Flash Player installer installs both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the plugin.  The client (e.g. browser) in use determines which version of the plugin to use.

Here's another thing (clue?) that's interesting... when I go to the Adobe page that allows you to adjust your settings, that image that has the settings is not there.  This page.

Adobe - Flash Player : Settings Manager - Global Privacy Settings Panel

It's possible the browser is blocking Flash on this page.  Also, this page is for Chromium-based browsers.  For IE, use the Local Settings Manager app in the Control Panel (Control Panel > All Control Panel Items > Flash Player)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You might have a problem with Flash. Or not. But it won't be affecting YouTube at all. Focus on the YouTube issue and look beyond Flash. Maybe a YouTube forum?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

A few thoughts and observations:

• Youtube is HTML5 video, not Flash, but your problem isn't with video playback per se.
    • You're getting an error message from the Youtube player before it even tries to play video.  It's either a transitory problem with their backend that has likely solved itself at this point, or some network request for video assets is probably failing.
    • If you were getting a black rectangle, or maybe audio but no video (or vice versa), that would be a video problem and I'd probably tell you to grab updated drivers.  This is happening before you get a video stream.
    • If you wanted to dig around in the browser's developer console, you might find some hints on the network tab where failing requests are happening, but troubleshooting YouTube would require insight into YouTube's infrastructure, and is beyond the scope of what I'm going to help with in this venue.  It might be interesting if you're bored, but there's nothing you're going to do from where you sit that would change the condition, and Youtube has great monitoring.  (In that vein, I find it unlikely that they would have a multi-day video delivery problem that went unnoticed.)
    • The most likely possibility is that this is self-inflicted... probably related to an anti-tracking/ad-blocking plugin or off-brand security software.  If it's the latter, you might have to actually uninstall it (not just disable it) before things start working correctly.
    • If you just go to the front page of YouTube and select a random video, does *that* play?  It might just be that you've got a stale link or something...
    • Also, "When in doubt, reboot" is still stellar advice, even in 2018.
  • The Flash Settings stuff is completely unrelated.
    • The browsers are all blocking Flash by default these days.  If you enable Flash and reload the page, those controls would appear, but they have nothing at all to do with your YouTube playback problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines