• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Open As Photoshop Linked in window version of LR Classic CC 2019

Engaged ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the an option to directly open files from lightroom catalog as links to smart object in Photoshop?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

I created a script, with all the help i got in this forum, which is tested successfully so far, which saves time converting layers to smart objects.

• From LR, open the image as smart object in PS
    Actually this does not have to be smart object, nor does it have to be opened from LR.
    The only thing needed is that the image layer name in PS will be identical to the file name, with or without the file suffix.
    Without this
  • Select the layer to convert, in PS and run the script.
  • Specify a root folder for the

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 02, 2018 Nov 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, there isn't. I'm sure there must be an efficient way to do it, but I've never found one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 03, 2018 Nov 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 "No, there isn't"

See a discussion for workarounds at- Photoshop: How do I get a Smart Objects ACR edits back to Lightroom? | Photoshop Family Customer Com...

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also found this script which one might be able to adapt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an option to directly open files from lightroom catalog as links to smart object in Photoshop?

You might check out the Photoshop Layers Plugin:

This plugin allows photos in Lightroom to be used as source layers for a composite image in Lightroom, via a Photoshop layered image, in a non-destructive way. Even after the layered image is built, edited in Photoshop, and imported back into Lightroom as a new composite image, changes to the original source images in Lightroom are reflected through the Photoshop edits and back into the composite image in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be, but there isn't. Even using Bridge to send linked SOs to Ps is a hidden feature only accessible through using a modifier key when dragging into Ps. I've been asking for years that they update the linked features in Bridge and no one on that team appears to have any interest in finally updating the tools... open as linked? place multiple as linked layers? etc.

99% sure that Lr will never add support for placing as linked in Ps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there am action/script which can do this?

If not than where can I find some reference to something like this:

Assume you open a smart-object via Lighroom, the layer name is the file name.

The script should:

• Use the selected layer and derive the image name – imageName = layerName
  • Allow the user to specify root path to search for image or use the current directory + file suffix (default is dgn)
  • Search for a file, starting from the given root, with the name of imageName.dgn and if found replace the layer content with a link to this file.

I do have some knowledge of scripting.

If this can be accomplished it would do the job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In what ways does the Photoshop Layers plugin not meet the needs of your workflow?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I created a script, with all the help i got in this forum, which is tested successfully so far, which saves time converting layers to smart objects.

• From LR, open the image as smart object in PS
    Actually this does not have to be smart object, nor does it have to be opened from LR.
    The only thing needed is that the image layer name in PS will be identical to the file name, with or without the file suffix.
    Without this
  • Select the layer to convert, in PS and run the script.
  • Specify a root folder for the search. it will recursively search down and try to find files matching layerName.ext
    ext is currently psd,tif or dng, both upper and lower.
  • When found it will place the found file as a linked.
  • It will offer to delete the previous layer.

It needs some more touch-ups, e,g. I can't return values from my recursion for if more than 1 file is found i will offer to place all.

I can tidy it and put on this forum if it may be of help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines