• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Photoshop CC 2019 wants to access my contacts. Why?

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is pretty much the question.

Why? Curious minds want to know.

Calendar also.

MacOS Mojave

Adobe CC 2019

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Hello all, please see this help document: Adobe apps want to access my Contacts or Calendar

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you doing in Photoshop did you click on the share social media icon in the top right corner?

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing like that. Never do the social media share thing. Although clicking there does not trigger this request.

Happened once when launching the app.

Said "don't allow" and has not returned.

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 5.09.58 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2018-11-02 at 5.10.11 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use windows it may be a difference between Mac OS and Windows OS and the way Adobe start up Photoshop on the different systems.  I have not see that on Windows. All I could thing of would be sharing with social media.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, thanks for the thought.

In almost 30 years of Photoshop on a Mac (and including Windows) I have never seen this.

I'm signed in to use their subscription... just wondering what else Adobe wants from me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Like JJMack I use Windows and have never seen such a message.

I'll tag gener7​ and jane-e​ both of who are Mac users to see if they can help

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have never seen it, davescm​, and have been using Photoshop for 26 years.

I am not on Mojave yet, though, and won’t be until they patch it enough to fix the bugs in CC 2019.

gener7​ may be right about an extension.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2018 Dec 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had both of those dialogue boxes pop up just now when I went to save a preset for the smart sharpen tool.

WTF????????

Why does Photoshop need my calendar and my contacts?

These programs are becoming so stupid. I am actually going to start seriously looking at Linux alternatives even though giving up the Adobe Suite will be the hardest big tech company to wean myself from. It took a month to completely shut down my Facebook account and it's going to take a year to wean myself from Google's products as I find alternatives.

I honestly don't think there ARE alternatives to Adobe's suite that are suitable for professionals but I am willing to explore. These big companies have become "too big to care" and I have grown tired of it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should explain it  OS X Mountain Lion: Prompted for access to contacts when opening an application - Apple Support

I've never seen it myself, so perhaps an extension running on Photoshop needs it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is coming from Mac, not Adobe, as suggested by gener7

It is, oddly, a security issue. You can control this in System Preferences > Security and Privacy. It is not an Adobe issue; it is an Apple issue. A Google search found a number of non-Adobe apps with the same message.

This link tells you how to control it:

Decide For Yourself Which Apps Can Access Mountain Lion Contacts [OS X Tips] | Cult of Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure, but why is Photoshop (or Adobe) asking this of MacOS?

In my almost 30 years of Photoshop use, both Windows and Mac, I have never know it to do so.

Illustrator isn't asking. InDesign isn't. I don't remember Word asking. Not Capture One Pro. I have a couple of apps that did, but they "need" access to do their job.

It just caught me by surprise and made me wonder what Photoshop CC 2019 needed access for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't seen it in 30 years either, Derek, and still haven't.

My Google search was "would like to access your contacts" (with quotes) and it came up with a number of hits that were not Adobe, but otherwise the same message.

Photoshop does not need access, I agree, and I would say "NO!" (Yes, I would be shouting at my computer!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same thing happened to me, I'm using MacOS Mojave and Photoshop CC 2019.

The same messages appeared to me after updating to 2019 and working on PS for some minutes. For me it happened when I was trying to save a swatches palette. I don't have any extensions installed.

I think it's weird, I've no idea why it'd need access to my calendar and contacts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since many of us are not see this happen in Mojave/CC2019, the best place to ask is here: Photoshop Family Customer Community

They address product features, we are user-based help.

When I wanted to access my Pictures folder in the Save Swatches dialog, it did ask permission, and that's a good thing. You have the option to refuse. To view what wants access and to Allow/Deny, go to your System Preferences > Security and Privacy > Privacy tab:

Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 3.54.59 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

gener7  wrote

Since many of us are not see this happen in Mojave/CC2019, the best place to ask is here: Photoshop Family Customer Community

You posted one minute before me, and we both found the same dialog, but reached different conclusions. I think people are seeing it in Photoshop only because it’s a new app. Please look at the link I found and tell me what you think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e   Well since this feature goes back to Mt. Lion, it does make me wonder why Photoshop would ask now. So following my own advice, I've posted the Customer Community in hope that one of the product managers can say for sure.

Photoshop CC 2019 MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) wants to access contacts | Photoshop Family Customer Communit...

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm... I received this yesterday.

This sounds more like a "Phishing" scam trying to get all of your contacts (email). The scammers then typically send emails to all of your  contacts and address it with your name and email (they hide full address).  Your contacts will be more trusting because it is from you and may give up more information to them.

If this is not Adobes doing then I would run a malware scan. I ran CleanMyMac and it actually found one - not sure if this was related at all. Better safe than sorry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same issues in nearly every program.  Wacom, Photoshop, Ai needing permission to access my Contacts and Calendar. 
It's not malware it's something that appeared when system security was changed in 2016/17 OS updates.

Free apps and all google services are well known for tracking and accessing your contacts on your phone for data mining, that's how "free" apps work, but Adobe is a mystery why their purchased apps need access to our private info. But you're okay to deny access and keep working; it's just annoying. 

I'd love to know, too.  And also to get rid of the pop huge amount of pop-ups and notifications we're now living with.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2019 Mar 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mojave feature, not Adobe: How macOS Mojave’s Privacy Protection Works

This dialog is a one-time event and refusing access will stop any more pop-ups, unless there is a new release. All apps running under Mojave show this popup,

Example:

ColorMunki Display 1.1.5:

At system restart after installation, the user may receive the following message: “ColorMunkiDisplayTray wants access to control System Events. Allowing control will provide access to documents and data in System Events, and to perform actions within that app.”.  Selecting “Don’t Allow” or “OK” will close the window and ColorMunki Display will work just fine.  This message is a one-time event and should not appear again. It appears this has to do with Mojave’s tightened security infrastructure and many other apps are seeing this. There is additional information about this issue online.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just saw this message alert as well.

Right after I installed a third party brush into Photoshop.
Perhaps that is why the brush was free?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

markd5742081  wrote

Perhaps that is why the brush was free?

It’s a security issue from Apple, Mark, and is part of the OS.

https://www.macworld.com/article/3311982/the-difference-between-accessibility-and-full-disk-access.h...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

markd5742081 & jane-e

I agree with others here that this prompt is related to some of the new security features with Mojave. It only appears once, and only under certain conditions. It is not unique to Adobe, please see this discussion for Atom (open source text editor) where they were trying to understand the cause too. macOS Mojave: Atom requests access to Contacts and Calendars · Issue #17687 · atom/atom · GitHub

I'll see if it is possible to have a Adobe support article created about the message for the users which do happen to encounter it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 27, 2019 Jun 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi David,

FWIW: here a case with Adobe InDesign:

Why does indesign need access to my contacts . . .

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 24, 2019 Jul 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all, please see this help document: Adobe apps want to access my Contacts or Calendar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 09, 2019 Aug 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It still doesn't explain why Adobe wants access to those directories, that it doesn't show up on other platforms suggests that other platforms simply allow or deny.

Surely if Adobe doesn't 'need' (want) access it would just omit those directories? If your setup is standard they're always in the same place.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines