• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need advice on monitor calibration

Mar 29, 2018 Mar 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All

I'm considering updating my Spyder Express 4 old I know but it still works to the Spyder 5 PRO, thing is I have dual monitors and the Spyder Express 4 can only calibrate a single monitor profile.

I've Googling about the Spyder 5 PRO but can't find a definitive answer as to whether the Spyder 5 PRO can calibrate both monitors.

So if anybody has an answer I would like to hear from you and of course any other options or suggestions would be most appreciated

Cheers

Ged

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You may want to install DisplayCAL—Open Source Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS instead, and use your Spyder Express 4 to calibrate both screens. Much more capable software as well compared to the Express one.

It is quite professional calibration software, open source, and free. I did the same with my Spyder Pro, and have experienced no issues. Calibration does take more time, but is more precise than the simpler Spyder software (in my case).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks I'll check it out

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ged, Dag is the go to guy for this sort of info, although  davescm​  is pretty good with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheer's Trevor, looking forward to their input

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've never used Spyder software (just a couple of sensors) - but I'm pretty confident the Pro edition does multiple monitors. It's true that the Express edition is limited to a single monitor. It will overwrite any previous profile.

I did try DisplayCal once, and it looks like a very comprehensive piece of software, with loads of options. Can be a bit overwhelming if you're new to it.

Spyders have a somewhat bad reputation. Don't really know why, the sensors I tried were very good. But the best one is the i1 Display Pro (dichroic glass filters guaranteed not to fade). It also has the added advantage of being supported everywhere, so it's a safe investment. I'm using it with Eizo ColorNavigator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that the Spyder Pro version support multiple screens (I have one myself). But I preferred DIsplayCal, because it gave me a better calibration, and has more options. As D Fosse states, it is more convoluted, but the steps are the same. It guides you through the entire process.

At the very least you'll be saving yourself additional costs - but I don't know if your Spyder 4 is still viable. Just test, I say, with DisplayCAL.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rayek

I'll give it a try tomorrow with my Spyder 4 and see what happens, if it works on both screens that will be a free bonus.

Cheers guys for the tips

If not I'll go for the Spyder 5 pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you are comfortable with using the command line then download Argyll CMS and use that. I use it with an i1 pro Spectro, as I also do printer profiles, although for monitors the i1 Display Pro has a very good reputation.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I have a three screen setup and it works just fine. So in theory you ought to have no trouble at all calibrating both screens with DisplayCAL. But be prepared to spend some time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave, just wondering (side question): you mention printer profiling. To profile a printer, we need to measure the printed swatches. Any vendor yet offering a combination device to do this? So, monitor and print swatch profiling simultaneously?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

X-Rite's ColorMunki Display will calibrate multiple monitors at a reasonable price

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does ColorMunki compare with Spyder?

I'm looking for a monitor calibrator in the US$ 100-200 range.

Grateful for suggestions / recommendations.

TIA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Both will do the job  Some Color Munki bundles allow printer and monitor profiling which is an advantage over spyder.   Spyder can calibrate different monitor phosphors or LCD results as a colorimeter, and ColorMunki uses the latest ICC Max standards for profiling. 

My vote is for Color Munki today, but that may change if the other horse makes a move. 

ICC programmer and developer, Photographer, artist and color management expert, Print standards and process expert.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks for the feedback!

Cheers!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a fyi but if you get a Colour Munki and use Comodo firewall, it can stop it from being picked up by the USB slot. I almost send it back for a refund until I stumbled across a forum post about how Comodo was the culprit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

According to Datacolor, the answer is yes.  Please follow the link.

Spyder5 Family Precise Monitor Calibration | Datacolor

Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 4.15.08 PM.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, they may have changed policies with the latest versions. I know for a fact that up to and including Spyder 3 Express, it was single screen only.

People attempted to trick it by physically disconnecting the screen and rename the profile, then connect the other screen. And it still didn't work! Profiles have internal and external names and the previous profile would still be overwritten.

I think the Express edition is why Spyders have a somewhat bad reputation. The Pro and Elite should be excellent. Don't forget that even Eizo bundle Spyder sensors. No doubt they have tight specifications and get the best units, but they wouldn't do that if Spyders were as bad as some people say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As far as I am aware, the hardware of all three Spyder versions is identical. An inexpensive path to high-grade colour management (without silly workaround tricks) is to purchase the Express, and then install DisplayCal instead of the bundled software.

DisplayCAL—Open Source Display Calibration and Characterization powered by ArgyllCMS

That's what I've been doing for the past few years. I got better colour calibration results compared to the Pro version, and much more flexibility. Works without issues with my three screen setup.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, that software - DisplayCal - should work with the Pro version as well.. right?

Which then begs the question: Given that the hardware is the same, is the only difference between the various models/version purely the bundled software and some add-ons?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main differences here are the filters for the spyder vs those of the Color Munki.  Data Color adds more filters so their software can try and detect the correct ones to use on any one specific monitor type.  They did that back in the days before manufacturing standards and monitor makers came together to provide something to aim for.   The software is also different with X-Rite using the spectral calibration from ICC Max (the latest ICC standard)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for that Bob...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines