• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Importing from iPhone - DNG's not rendering

Explorer ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the past month or so when I import from my iPhone, the import dialogue window does not render DNG files fully to see what the image is. Any JPG files on my phone look fine. This is a new issue and since I started shooting DNG files I never had this problem until the past few weeks.

I'm shooting RAW with the ProCamera app.

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 7.30.42 PM.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Thanks for the confirmation. This looks like a macOS bug then given that Apple Image Capture is exhibiting the same issue. Lightroom is relying on the same macOS Image Capture API to communicate with the devices (iPhone in your case), thus it is not surprising that both Lr and Apple Image Capture exhibits the same symptons.

I'll relay the info to one of our devs to do some investigation and maybe report the issue to Apple. In the meantime, I don't have a good suggestion for a workaround. Maybe up

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

It would help to know which OS (Mac/Win) you are on the desktop - as well as info about which Lightroom version you are using.
iPhone and iOS version might also help.

thanks,
Ignacio

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS 10.13.6

LR 8.0

iPhone 7 / iOS 12.0.1

ProCamera 12.0.1 (903)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2018 Nov 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting for some help from you or someone else.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just want to chime in and say Ive been having this issue as well with Adobe Lightroom, Apple Photos app, and Apples Image Capture. I am able to import the photos with Image Capture. If I try to import with Lightroom or Photos it usually crashes the PTPCamera process. I have a 2017 MacBook Pro running OSX Mojave v. 10.14.1 and it does seem like all these issues started after updating to this most recent version though Im not entirely sure. I shoot RAW files which are made into DNGs via the Manual iPhone app and its the DNGs that seem to be having the issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you able to import the DNG despite the rendering issue? Once imported, do the DNGs look fine inside Lr's library grid or the develop loupe? Just checking if there are anything wrong with the DNG itself, since the DNG are captured via 3rd party camera app, there might be some compatibility issues.

If you capture the DNG via Lightroom mobile iOS app, do you see similar patterns with the DNG?

Could you share a downloadable link to a few of the DNGs that Lr has problems with? The import grid displays the embedded JPEG previews in the DNG. There might be some issues with the embedded JPEG previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, once imported the DNG files are just fine. I don't use the LR iOS app. The only problem I'm having is the DNGs not rendering in the import window so perhaps it is the embedded JPG previews that are the problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you observe similar issues when importing from other Apple native apps such as Apple Image Capture, Apple Photos app etc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, looks to be not just an Adobe problem. I just looked in Apple's Image Capture and the JPGs are rendering the same incomplete way.

Would love to have your opinion though that even though it is not an Adobe issue at this moment, where do you think the problem might lie?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the confirmation. This looks like a macOS bug then given that Apple Image Capture is exhibiting the same issue. Lightroom is relying on the same macOS Image Capture API to communicate with the devices (iPhone in your case), thus it is not surprising that both Lr and Apple Image Capture exhibits the same symptons.

I'll relay the info to one of our devs to do some investigation and maybe report the issue to Apple. In the meantime, I don't have a good suggestion for a workaround. Maybe update to the latest iOS and/or macOS would help. And call ProCamera tech support to see if they are aware of such issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Since I posted this I have updated to Mac OS 10.14.1/Mojave and I'm running iOS 12.1 and the problem is still happening. I've also sent an email to ProCamera. Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines