• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Bound to use placegun, but how to maintain image attributes?

Advocate ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hellø folks,

were having this problem: We use a plugin, which fetches assets from a Dam and makes use of the placegun now by default. Thats very handy for multiple images. But they made it worse in the first place: Instead of rebuilding InD behaviour with their Plug, they completely now ignore, if a grahpic-container is selected and if its got any image inside.

Resulting in every asset at the placegun, but now youre unable to exchange pictures in containers and maintain image-altering attributes.

So, I have stuff hanging at my placegun, every time now. Am I somehow able to teach/script InDesign, to let me drop an image onto a used image-container and exchangeing the image but maintaining the attributes? Becuase I found out it makes a different, if the container is selected upon place or is used afterwards by the placegun

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

In that case you would need to copy over the property values from the original image on to the new image. Something like the following should work, i am copying over the vertical and horizontal scaling in this example

var vScale = app.selection[0].images[0].verticalScale

var hScale = app.selection[0].images[0].horizontalScale

var fPath = app.activeDocument.placeGuns.rectangles[0].graphics[0].itemLink.filePath   //Get the filePath of the first item loaded in the placegun

app.selection[0].place(fPath)

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If we talk about fitting options, i see that the frame fitting options applied on the container does hold its value even after replacing the image within the container. The tricky part is that if content is fitted using options other than the one applied on the frame i.e using the options within the context menu obtained on right clicking the frame like for ex: Centre Content. In this case i don't see any property being set on the frame. I doubt this could be done just by using scripting interface.

However if we have a C++ plugin, we could put some observers to look for fitting being done and then add some labels onto the frame with the fitting value which can then be used to reapply the fitting when the image is replaced.

It would be interesting to know the view of other members on this problem.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

An idea.

if there was a before place and after place event you could recored the settings on the before, then re-apply them on the after.

These look interesting.

Class

PropertyTypeAccessDescription
AFTER_PLACEstringreadonlyDispatched after a Graphic is placed. This event bubbles. This event is not cancelable. (default: afterPlace)
BEFORE_PLACEstringreadonly

Dispatched before a Graphic is placed. This event bubbles. This event is cancelable. (default: beforePlace)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pickory,

This could work if these events are raised even when the fitting options are changed i.e. not placing and also not changing the frame fitting options but just fitting the image already within the rectangle, that needs to be tested.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me stop you right here guys:

There are no fitting options involved. Just placed images, who got e.g. mirrored or inner-x = -0,235 or scaled.
Look at picture below.

But I stumbled upon InDesign not blocked by anything/fully controlable, having an image hanging at my placegun.

So I guess I can forget about events and just fire a script by hand if needed. That makes it a bit easier, also the placegun always holds just one image. What I cant do is to select any object, while something is hanging at the placegun, but a pre-selected image-frame stays selected. A script must take the data from the placegun, and push it in the pre-selected container, keeping the image-attributes.

Is this something that can be done?

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-07 um 09.28.12.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

…What I cant do is to select any object, while something is hanging at the placegun…

Hi Jan,

usually you can switch temporarily to the Selection Tool using the Cmd key ( Mac OS X ) when the Placegun is loaded.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In that case you would need to copy over the property values from the original image on to the new image. Something like the following should work, i am copying over the vertical and horizontal scaling in this example

var vScale = app.selection[0].images[0].verticalScale

var hScale = app.selection[0].images[0].horizontalScale

var fPath = app.activeDocument.placeGuns.rectangles[0].graphics[0].itemLink.filePath   //Get the filePath of the first item loaded in the placegun

app.selection[0].place(fPath)

app.selection[0].images[0].verticalScale = vScale

app.selection[0].images[0].horizontalScale = hScale

Run the above code with a selected rectangle with an image inside it and an image loaded on the placegun. Let us know if this helps or we are still off direction from what you want.

-Manan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Manan Joshi for your time: I guess thats it, works like a charm!

…oh wait! Our Dam uses vault links, which again cant be processed without the interaction of the dam-plugin, which lacks this feature in the first place. All work for the trash, damn DAM. Not the first thing, Canto Cumulus messes up.

And also thanks to UweLaubender​, didnt knew that placgun/selection-tool trick

Heres alert(fPath):

Bildschirmfoto 2018-11-08 um 09.00.36.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines