• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Acrobat not opening

Advocate ,
Oct 28, 2018 Oct 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Frequently when I try to open an Acrobat file in Windows 10 nothing happens. When all else fails I go into task manager, and notice several Acrobat documents already "open". I need to close all of these before Acrobat will open my PDF. This happens with a very high frequency and is very aggravating.

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dv8kiwi,

As per the issue description mentioned above, you are unable to view a pdf file using Acrobat, is that correct?

Please try the troubleshooting steps given in the following help document:

Can't open PDF

If issue still persists, try launching Acrobat as an administrator using the steps given in the following link and check- Run an Adobe program as administrator | Windows 7, Vista

You may also refer to the following forum thread discussing the similar issue:

Windows 10 - cannot open pdf files in Reader DC

Are you able to launch the application, without trying to open a file?

Let us know if you need any help.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Shivam,

The problem is not exactly that. Yes I checked your troubleshooting steps but they don't really apply. This is an intermittent problem making it harder to solve. I have done the repair and reinstalled but still a problem often enough to be very annoying. I don't want to have to keep going into task manager to close Acrobat instances.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One thing that will come up occasionally after about 10-15 minutes if I don't shut down the running apps in Task Manager is an error message: "Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE server". It also seems to be associated with at some point opening an Acrobat file that is attached to an email. For example I might open a PDF attachment then close it and carry on working. Later on when I try to open a PDF nothing happens. Then I go into task Manager and see various instances of Acrobat still running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One possibility is that you are using "run as administrator" on some of your apps and not others. Just a thought.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. No.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dv8kiwi,

Could you check if an update is available for Acrobat using "Check for updates" option under "Help" menu. You may also download updates from here:  Adobe software and product updates. Reboot the machine after installing update and try again.

Also, try disabling protected view by going into Preferences > Security ( Enhanced ) > select the option Off under Protected view and uncheck the box next to enhanced security > click OK. Relaunch Acrobat and check.

Note: Disabling protected view and enhanced security is for troubleshooting purpose only, enable protected mode/enhanced security when troubleshooting is complete.

If issue still persists, try replicating the issue in a new user account by clicking on the Start button > then select Settings  > Accounts  > Family & other people > Add someone else to this PC. Login into that account, launch Acrobat from there and check.

Could you confirm dot version of Acrobat installed on the machine? You may refer to the steps given in this link on how to check the version in Acrobat: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is up to date. I am running the most recent version. One thing which might point to the problem is that I often open Acrobat attachments in emails. With multiple attachments, while they usually open the first one OK subsequent ones sometimes will not open. So  something could happening when I open a PDF attachment that prevents me opening any PDF file at some point later because the Acrobat file (the email attachment) is still open and running but hidden after it is closed. I use Outlook 365 for emails.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi dv8kiwi,

Could you try following troubleshooting steps:

1- Download and run cleaner tool on the machine to uninstall Acrobat: Download Adobe Reader and Acrobat Cleaner Tool - Adobe Labs

2- Reboot the machine

3- Download and install Acrobat from here: Download and install Acrobat DC subscription

4- Reboot the machine again and check.

If issue still persists, please contact support using this link: Contact Customer Care

-Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have done that previously.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 02, 2019 Jan 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi dv8kiwi,

Sorry for the delay in response. Could you confirm if you have tried replicating the issue in a new user account as well? If yes, try the troubleshooting steps given in the following help document

Fatal error - Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE server

You may also refer to the following forum threads discussing the similar issue:

Acrobat failed to connect to DDE Server

Acrobat failed to connect to a DDE server

Thanks,

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines