• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere Pro CC 2019 using integrated GPU instead of the GTX 1080

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was promised a 48 hour turnover, but it has been about 36 hours and no response from Adobe CSR Manager.  My GTX 1080 has the latest drivers from October.  It was a new install on a new computer.  Premiere Pro CC 2019 is using the embedded Intel video processor instead of the GTX 1080.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

David S.,
I believe it's expected behavior with H.264 media. Premiere Pro uses the iGPU for Hardware Encoding, which speeds exporting process for H.264 files even faster than your discrete GPU in most cases. The reason? Quick Sync. Try another format, like ProRes and I bet you'll get different results.

The other case is that you will not see any discrete GPU engagement unless you are using a GPU accelerated process, like a GPU accelerated effect, scaling from 4K to 1080p, changing the frame rat

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there,

I will see what I can do to expedite your support case.  Sorry for the delay.

I have seen issues with configurations using dual GPUs.  In this case, some are using older Intel drivers and this can cause issues.  There have been many changes including Windows updates.  

This is what I'd recommend.   Go to the Intel side and find the latest version of your Intel Driver.   I'll provide a link to a driver that has helped a few people but please verify this is compatible with your hardware (I don't have your info)

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28289/Intel-Graphics-Driver-for-Windows-10?product=88345

Customers are also reporting better results using GeForce Driver 416.16 instead of 416.34.

First thing I'd do is make sure your Intel driver is updated to a recent version.  (Don't trust Windows update or Intel utilities on your machine).   Your Nvidia driver may work fine but you can also try version 416.16, if needed. 

I've seen these steps resolve issues for many users that have similar driver problems.

I'll also reach out to support

Wes Howell

Premiere Pro Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You were correct.  The Intel GPU driver was quite old.  I updated it to current dated 11/5/18.  However, no change in GPU utilization.

During a Premiere Pro CC 2019 render I get 75% Intel GPU, 0% GTX 1080, & 25% CPU.  Same old story.

I think Adobe should offer choices in the Acceleration options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reached out to support and they should be following up soon.  Glad to hear you've updated that driver.  I hope it helps.   Did you try Nvidia driver 416.16?

It's hard for me to address questions related to your GPU usage as I am not super familiar with your laptop and if there are configuration options that determine which GPU is used.    Often times laptops give you some control in that area.

Do you see CUDA acceleration options available under your project settings?  Can you enable them and if so does it make things faster?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there are too many different issues in this thread.

I have a brand new Dell XPS 8930 Desktop running Win 10 Pro.  The issue seems to be that Premiere Pro CC 2019 is using the embedded Intel GPU instead of the nVidia GTX 1080 GPU.

I don't want to back date the driver for the GTX 1080 until I hear from Adobe.

"GPU Acceleration (CUDA)" is enabled in Project Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wes,

If it helps, here's my case number: ADB-4391890-N9T0 

They also provided this number: CRM:07401000000529

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well Adobe emailed me and then a few minutes later a CSR called - Not a CSR Manager as I had requested two days ago.  This guy wanted to repeat what was done two days ago.  I was having none of it.  He said a "Senior tech" person would call me within 10-15 minutes.  30 minutes later - Nothing.

I emailed Adobe back again and suggested they "PLEASE look at the entries in the Adobe Forum, "[Hardware Forum] Premiere Pro using Integrated and not Dedicated Graphics Card"

Many other users are experiencing the exact same problem.

We would greatly appreciate this getting fixed."

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wes,

Just got off the phone with a more senior CSR and another screen session.

He checked a few things in the nVidia control panel, but made no changes.

I setup a project that he could render.  He saw what I have been describing - GPU 0 utilized, GPU 1 not utilized.  He added a bunch of effects to the project and re-rendered.  Finally GPU 1 got somewhat busy, 30-40% after GPO 0 hit 75%.

Apparently Premiere Pro CC 2019 uses GPU 0 FIRST and then goes to the second GPU if GPU 0 is overloaded.

He said he would talk with the engineers about a feature request that would allow us "users" to select which GPU we wanted to use.  He said he'd get back to me within 24 hours.

I can't ask for more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wes,

Just got off the phone with a more senior CSR and another screen session.

He checked a few things in the nVidia control panel, but made no changes.

I setup a project that he could render.  He saw what I have been describing - GPU 0 utilized, GPU 1 not utilized.  He added a bunch of effects to the project and re-rendered.  Finally GPU 1 got somewhat busy, 30-40% after GPO 0 hit 75%.

Apparently Premiere Pro CC 2019 uses GPU 0 FIRST and then goes to the second GPU if GPU 0 is overloaded.

He said he would talk with the engineers about a feature request that would allow us "users" to select which GPU we wanted to use.  He said he'd get back to me within 24 hours.

I can't ask for more.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

davids, can you go into your device manager and tell us which devices are listed under Display Adapters?  Do you see more than one?  If you see more than one, and your monitor is plugged into the nvidia device, can you test disabling the other adapter and see how that effects performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Briwilli,

If you have read the earlier responses, you would see that, yes my PC has an Intel "UHD Graphics 630" GPU and the nVidia GTX 1080.  I cannot disable the embedded Intel video in the BIOS - no option.  Disabling it in Device Manager makes no difference.  Premiere sees it and uses it during rendering.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wonderful!

This has been a problem since 2018.

Looking forward to an update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having this same issue--Premiere Pro 2019 is automatically selecting my Intel integrated graphics instead of my GTX 1060. This did not happen with Premiere Pro 2018 at all, despite utilizing the same hardware--a 15 inch Surface Book 2.

All my drivers are up to date, as far as I'm aware. I've also ensured via the NVidia Control Panel that Premiere Pro 2019 is set to use my 1060 instead of my Intel integrated graphics--and that does nothing. I even tried applying a global setting to force ALL programs on my device to use the 1060--no improvement. The task manager shows that the Intel card is doing all the work, and the 1060 doesn't even get warm.

I have no issues using the 1060 with other programs.

Any updates on fixes for this issue? Incredibly frustrating experience to have started projects in 2019 and not be able to edit them quickly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please read my response from 11/7/18.

Adobe has acknowledged the problem.  They will be forwarding a "Feature" request to allow you to select which GPU to use.  Who knows how long that might take.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks David! I did read your reply-- I was mostly wondering if anyone had discovered any alternate or short term solutions for this issue since last week, or if Adobe/Wes could update us.

I know ironing these things out takes time, but this really isn't a missing "feature" -- it's a major bug that wasn't present in the 2018 version. I know we're all hoping it gets patched out soon, but Adobe doesn't have the best track record for timely bug fixes, and I really don't see why this issue needs a whole new feature to be fixed.

Anyways, rant over. Please let us know if you learn anything new!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still waiting for a fix or additional response from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

having the same issues.... my laptop basically went from being able to edit on the go, to be completely bricked

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here on Surface Book 2 with Intel 620 and GTX 1050.

Also, if it's a Surface Book 2, we can't just download drivers from the Nvidia page - they're (solely) automatically provided via Windows Updates. Even if one tried to download, the NVIDIA installer would not recognize the 1050 aboard. Please provide a solution because after searching through many forums it seems like LOTS of people have this same problem. You can't choose CUDA anymore in Project Settings. Premiere only uses the integrated graphics. If you try to disable the integrated Graphics (Intel 620) Premiere will use CPU only and setting Premiere to use the 1050 in the Nvidia Control Panel does nothing either. Nor does disabling OpenCL for the Intel chip in RegEdit.

We need your software to work (both meanings!) and we are paying for it. And I agree with above poster: It's not a feature that should be added, it's a bug that needs to be fixed, fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Feb 14, 2019 Feb 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This forum is primarily user to user with product support staff monitoring. Best place for you to post to get noted is on their bug/features site. I'm on my phone or I'd add the link but there's probably links to posts there about this above your post in this thread.

That goes directly to the engineers system and also the upper managers who decide budgets and features and such.

Find one or more of the posts there about this, VOTE, and comment. Needs traction.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2019 Nov 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Still nothing from Adobe after a FULL YEAR.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2020 Jan 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@davids9426688 have you heard any solutions? I have the same issue. Premiere is more and more buggy. If I were on a Mac I would 100% switch to Final Cut. Premiere was excellent until about 2018 update and then it's like every update I have to deal with a tremendous amount of bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2020 Mar 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David S.,
I believe it's expected behavior with H.264 media. Premiere Pro uses the iGPU for Hardware Encoding, which speeds exporting process for H.264 files even faster than your discrete GPU in most cases. The reason? Quick Sync. Try another format, like ProRes and I bet you'll get different results.

The other case is that you will not see any discrete GPU engagement unless you are using a GPU accelerated process, like a GPU accelerated effect, scaling from 4K to 1080p, changing the frame rate, the color space, or other technical aspect of the original clip.

I think it is rather confusing, to be sure, as to which actions affect the GPU and which are more iGPU processes. Which are CPU centric and which are GPU centric? Look into Quick Sync technology and the Mercury Playback Engine's capabilities and limitations for additional information. Reading up on what's going on under the hood may help you and others in harnassing this technology to its maximum potential.

If you still feel you are not getting the right interaction with your hardware, (for example, you've added GPU effects but do not get any interaction from the discrete GPU) please let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 27, 2019 Oct 27, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same issue. Surface Book 2, intel udh graphics 620 being used instead of gtx 1050. very disappointing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is downgrading to premiere pro 2018 the best option at this point? I didn't realize this thread was 1 year old.  Earlier posts suggested that 2018 did not have this bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gordon,

On many laptops and other portable "devices" Premiere can at times see the onboard chip and ignore the discrete card.

Unfortunately. Sometimes one can disable the onboard graphics in the BIOS and things will work through the GPU. Sometimes you can't.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines