• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Trying to Import both Photos and Videos, but not importing Videos?

Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am trying to create a single catalog that contains ALL my images AND videos, then sync with mobile.  So, I started a new catalog and began importing ALL my files, one folder at a time, but it seems that only the images, not videos, are being imported.

I am trying to keep the file size fairly small, so I selected Build Previews as Minimal without Building Smart previews.  I have done this before and videos come in without issues, so not sure what I am doing wrong.

Once this catalog is complete, and sync'd mobile, I plan to share on LR CC Mobile, and have collaborators help tag/rate/cull, etc.  Not sure if everyone needs to be logged into the same account on an iPad, or otherwise, or if I can share to their adobe account and have them help rate, etc., if that is permitted.

Basically, end goal is to get ALL my images and videos, and there are many, on LR CC Mobile, to have others on my team, help cull/rate, etc.

Any suggestions on best way to do this is appreciated, starting with how to import and preview videos.

Also, once on mobile, will everyone be able to download the original uncompressed image/video, or will I have to find the original from my source computer?

Thanks so much for your feedback on this issue. I really appreciate it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 06, 2018 Nov 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the error message:

Screenshot+2018-11-03+17.31.55.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2018 Nov 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I found lots of information on this issue, but now I am getting this error.  Any help is appreciated. These are normal .mov files that can be played on any other computer. I have most up to date Mac OS and LR, and Quicktime for that matter.

Lightroom cannot read the video file. The codec needed to read it is missing or unavailable. (374)

/Volumes/Seagate 8TB YAY Margaux/iPhone X LR Mobile/2017/11-21/IMG_6409.MOV

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom cannot read the video file. The codec needed to read it is missing or unavailable. (374)

Please do the menu command Help > System Info and copy the first ten lines here. That will let us know the precise version you're running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is an old mac mini, but with plenty of memory. I can't seem to upgrade the OS though and LR will not allow upgrade either.  We are trying to cull collaboratively among an internal working group, using this computer as the main hub for culling, sharing from here to the group via LR Mobile to rate/approve/tag. 

Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]

License: Creative Cloud

Language setting: en

Operating system: Mac OS 10

Version: 10.11.6 [15G22010]

Application architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 8

Processor speed: 2.6 GHz

Built-in memory: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16,384.0 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 914.7 MB (5.5%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 871.3 MB

Memory cache size: 1.9MB

Internal Camera Raw revision: 1001

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX

Camera Raw virtual memory: 13MB / 8191MB (0%)

Camera Raw real memory: 13MB / 16384MB (0%)

Displays: 1) 1280x800

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic version: 7.5 [ 1186149 ]
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.11.6 [15G22010]

Do the videos come from iOS (iPhone or iPad)? If not, upload a sample video to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here -- we can take a look at what's going on. 

If the videos do come from iOS, then most likely, they are encoded in the new HEVC format, which requires LR 8.0 and Mac OS 10.13 or later.

HEIC and HEVC media files support in Lightroom and Camera Raw .

LR 8.0 requires at least 10.12: Lightroom Classic CC system requirements . Your old hardware may prevent you from upgrading to 10.12 (requires a Mac Mini mid 2010 or newer): macOS Sierra - Technical Specifications.

If you can't upgrade to 10.12 or later, you can't upgrade to LR 8. Then your only option is to encode new videos in the traditional MP4 format by checking the iOS option Settings > Camera > Formats > Most Compatible. For existing HEVC videos, you'll need to convert them to MP4 using a third-party utility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Our mac mini is late 2012, see Dropbox - Screenshot 2018-11-09 10.47.05.png

But oddly, can't upgrade to 10.12.  Please advise.

I think the issue with videos is just from my iPhone images and videos. I will upload a video for your to check. Seems like older images/videos are fine.

Can you advise on best method too for collaboration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know enough about Mac OS to help with the inability to upgrade. You might post in the Apple support forums.

Re collaboration, I'm not expert on LR CC.  Others here are more knowledgeable and hopefully will chime in.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded my Mac OS and LR to most recent versions, but still can't seem to import select videos into the catalog on my upgraded mac mini, but can do so on my iMac.  Makes NO sense whatsoever.

It says the following error, file contains no video frames: Dropbox - Screenshot 2018-11-12 18.01.55.png

BUT I can open the file using File Explorer/Finder and it is fine. Also, it imports fine on my other mac.

Here is the video.  Can you try to see what happens on your end?

Dropbox - 313055685820259-record.mov

The file count is different on my iMac than my Mac Mini, for same folders. Makes no sense.

Any help is appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

SCOTTeVESTceo  wrote

Our mac mini is late 2012, see Dropbox - Screenshot 2018-11-09 10.47.05.png

But oddly, can't upgrade to 10.12.  Please advise.

I think the issue with videos is just from my iPhone images and videos. I will upload a video for your to check. Seems like older images/videos are fine.

Can you advise on best method too for collaboration?

This is indeed highly likely to be the HEVC video issue. In one of the recent iOS updates, Apple defaulted to encode video in HEVC. You need an OS higher than 10.12 to be able to use those in Lightroom. The fix for this (since your Mac won't run anything newer than 10.12 apparently) is to go into your iPhone's settings app and open the camera settings and go to formats and change it to "Most compatible". This will record video in more compatible mpeg4/H264 and save images as jpegs instead of HEIF images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I have indicated both machines have the most current version of Apple iOS and white room so that cannot be the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh. Up above you say the mini runs 10.11 and won't upgrade beyond that? Did you manage to get it to Mojave 10.14? If so than it should read the HEVC files from the newer iOS versions just fine. The file you posted is a standard mpeg4/H264 file so any version of mac os X should read it just fine and Lightroom should support it. However, I tried to import your file on the machine I am on currently which runs 10.12 and Lightroom Classic 8 and I get the same error message which makes no sense and looks like a bug since if you simply change the file extension to .mp4 in finder, it will import just fine into Lightroom. So that is a quick fix for you (just change the extension to mp4) but clearly a bug in Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thx.

yes. i was able to upgrade my OS and LR. I have TONS of similiar videos, so

changing each one like you suggest is not workable. makes no sense that it

imports fine on my other machine. Any other ideas are appreciated. does

adobe monitor this thread?

Scott

Scott Jordan, Founder

www.SCOTTEVEST.com <http://www.scottevest.com/>

<thom.oleary@scottevest.com>

To schedule a meeting, please view my calendar here

<https://calendar.google.com/calendar?cid=Y2VvQHNjb3R0ZXZlc3QuY29t>,

preferably before 3 MT if feasible. To make meetings more efficient, please

insert clear agenda in meeting notes. We can add to them if needed, but

helpful to know what we are talking about. Skype is my preferred contact

method: un: Pockeman.sev Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not monitor this very regularly. For bug reports, post on https://feedback.photoshop.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

if you simply change the file extension to .mp4 in finder, it will import just fine into Lightroom. .

I observe the same behavior in my LR 8.0 / Mac OS 10.13.6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines