• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic CC crashing PC - no warning. What should I do next?

Explorer ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi folks,

Long time LR user but I have just built a new system as CC was so resource hungry on my old 3570k. Everything works fine BUT when I use the Face Detect feature in Lightroom CC Classic (most up to date version - 7.5?) it crashes the PC after a minute or so. This happens every time. The screen goes black and the pc reboots. No warnings, nothing. It’s driving me nuts. Not sure if this happened on the old build as I didn't really use Face Detect, but was interested to see how it ran on the new hardware.

The catalogue was transferred from my old PC along with the files. Previews have been deleted to eliminate this as an issue.

All other functions seem to work (library, develop, export etc)

Build details and what I have tested so far:

CPU: Core i5 8600 (non k) runnng stock. Survives 6hours of prime 95 with no errors at around 58-62C. Generally runs just over 30C when not busy. No evidence of any thermal throttling.

Memory: Hyper X Fury 16GB.Tested running stock and with XMP - both pass Memtest 86 9 hours of testing with no issues and Intel ETU memory stress test 4 hours. Definitely on the motherboard compatibility list. I even have new memory coming this week so I can eliminate that as an issue.

GPU: MSI GTX 1060 3GB: Tested running stock. Runs Heaven benchmark for 6 hours with no issues and temps around 65C. Have tried with graphics acceleration on and off with no difference. Latest drivers,

Mobo: Asus TUF Plus Gaming B360M - generally runs around 30C or thereabouts

HDD: Samsung 970 Evo m.2 pcie - haven’t tested this really other than with its own stress test, but can’t see why it would be an issue

Power: EVGA 650W GQ Gold - tried running in eco and non eco modes. Only a couple of years old and no other reported issue. Hardware draw is well within limits.

I have even stress tested with Prime 95 and Heaven running together for 4 hours with no issues. Genuinely at a loss here and quite annoyed at the time this is taking up and the fact I am paying £120 a year for this.

Any ideas or help would be much appreciated.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've done such a good job of testing that it's no wonder nobody has replied. You've eliminated everything that I would have suggested, so I'm as much at a loss as you are.

Is there anything in your system logs from the time of the crash?

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Is there an easy way to get a crash dump? Or do I need to just monitor my task manager as the crash happens? This is where I get a bit stumped.

This shows the temp, voltage etc a few tenths of a second before the crash Shared album - Alex Ford - Google Photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Event Viewer

Hal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Nothing there. Tried with new RAM and with a new catalogue too. One test it lasted 15 minutes before going, but eventually it went!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic CC 7.5 Camera RAW 10.5 Win 10 Home Edition

I just had this issue and solve it following these steps:

- with Lightroom off, navigate to :

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAMEHERE\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom\Preferences

open Lightroom Classic CC 7 Preferences.agprefs with a Text Editor

use CTRL+F to find this line:

useAutoBahn = true,

and change it to:

useAutoBahn = false,

- Save and launch Lightroom

- navigate to Edit/Preferences/Performance and uncheck "Use Graphics Processor"

- also purge Camera RAW Cache settings and Video Cache Settings

- press bottom left "Restart Lightroom"

Enjoy, have fun and be polite enough to say thanks !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will give this a try. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2018 Oct 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but still no joy. Reboots itself regardless.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2018 Nov 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It crashes the PC by running Lightroom. How is memory usage of Lightroom goes? Does your system starts running out of memory when the system crashes? Do you have enough disk space? You almost certainly have a serious hardware issue. Applications such as Lightroom do not cause system failures like this. The face detect most likely is just a red herring because it put your system under more stress because it is relatively compute and disk I/o intensive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. No memory is fine. Plenty spare.

Would thibk hardware ware but it is fine in safe mode so would suggest software or drivers. All other stress tests do not produce this result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like a serious  GPU, But still, is GPU utilization on or off? and have you tried the opposite of whatever that is set to?

And, with all that work, and a new kit, I assume the driver for the GPU is up to snuff?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Have tried gpu on and off with the same result. I suppose I could try removing the GPU altogether and using the inbuilt GPU....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not suppose when the PC crashes that the event viewer gets a log entry of the cause?  Created at crash or perhaps on reboot?

Also, some where in the file structure, some Adobe logs exist. Does someone have info on where?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you bring up your windows file explorer, navigate to your \users/(your account)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\ and search on .log You will see lots of log files, most probably not pertaining to your issue. at least one is a crash log (although for PS).

Not having a crash in my completely reinstalled Photo suite (spent 4 hours uninstalling via Creative Cloud Desktop, then Windows System apps, then Creative Cloud Cleaner, then old fashioned delete every thing ADOBE in Program files, in program files (x86), user account, then installing all over again), I do not have an exemplar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all your help. Nothing in these logs and I cannot find the relevant open go settings mentioned I. The other thread. Also using version 8.

am fast thinking I might just give up. It’s predictably only an issue with face detect and nothing else on the PC at all!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nothing comes from the event log as the crash is so sudden. I uploaded some event monitor logs a while back but i cannot make much of them.

motherboard firmware and drivers are all up to date and no known issues I can see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And as to drivers, how about your BIOS? Visit the MOBO website, any newer ones? And at that website any issues in the FAQ's?

Also for the MOBO, the various drivers for chip sets, etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A possibility in someone else's similar problem, note response at about 10:58, refers to use of OpenGl instead of DirectX:

New update 7.2 crashes after 5 minutes of being open

But what risk?????

When you look at your system info from LR Help, what does it say about your GPU and is it the default DirectX??

And, is your DirectX the latest?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Time to call Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines