• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic HEIC files Edit in Photoshop Loses Depth Mapping

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Lightroom Classic Version 8.0 build: 1193777 and Photoshop CC 2019 Version 20.0.0

I've went into Photos on my Mac running 10.14.1 and exported unmodified Originals then imported the files into Lightroom Classic. Within Lightroom Classic I can go to the adjustments such as Adjustment brush and it DOES have the depth option at the bottom.

If within Lightroom I right click on an HEIC image (which Lightroom does show it's HEIC) and select Edit in Photoshop and when I go to channels within Photoshop there's no Depth Mapping.

Am I missing something?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

When you send an image from Lightroom to Photoshop, it will open as a rendered (RGB) image. That means it’s no longer a HEIC image, even though the extension may still show this (it will change when you select ‘Save’). And that is why the depth map is gone.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you send an image from Lightroom to Photoshop, it will open as a rendered (RGB) image. That means it’s no longer a HEIC image, even though the extension may still show this (it will change when you select ‘Save’). And that is why the depth map is gone.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Second Question as I was testing this I also noticed when I export as an unmodified original from Photos on Mac the .HEIC file doesn't have a Depth Map channel within Photoshop however if I go into Photos library package and go to my masters and take one of those and drop it into photoshop THEN photoshop will have a depth map channel.

Is there an easier way to export from photos to photoshop with depth map support?

I realize this may be on the apple side but wondering what process people are using to edit .HEIC within photoshop with images stored within Photos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why use Photos in the first place? Why not import the HEIC image in Lightroom Mobile and let it sync down to Lightroom Classic?

If you want to send the unmodified HEIC file from Lightroom to Photoshop, you probably have to use ‘Show in Finder’ and drag this file onto the Photoshop icon in your dock.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Every time I imported a photo from Photos manually to Lightroom mobile it would show as a JPG however I just noticed that despite that it does have Depth Mapping for the mask.  Thanks for the info!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JmanTN  wrote

Every time I imported a photo from Photos manually to Lightroom mobile it would show as a JPG however I just noticed that despite that it does have Depth Mapping for the mask.  Thanks for the info!

A jpeg does not have a depth mask, so I would think it must be a HEIC image... If I shoot a HEIC photo with my iPhone 7 and import that photo from the Camera Roll into Lightroom Mobile, then it still is a HEIC image.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm thinking it's a bug because I Cleary have depth mask options for selective edits but for the photo info it does say jpg.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your camera setting for file format? Lightroom will import what the camera saves, so if you shoot in HEIC it will import HEIC and if you shoot in JPEG it will import a JPEG.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

iPhone XS Max iOS 12.1

Using iCloud Photo library with Optimize on and set to keep originals

Photo is HEIC on my Mac within photos but within Lightroom mobile when imported from within my iPhone it shows JPG but has a depth mask options within selective adjustments.

I just noticed the same image on Lightroom mobile that shows as JPG but has depth mask options HOWEVER on Lightroom on my Mac it does not have depth mask options.

Edit:Went back to Lightroom mobile with same pic and still have depth mask options so I'm going to report this as soon as I find the right place to do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a few screenshots that illustrate this? I have a very hard time understanding how this could possibly happen, but I don't have an iPhone with depth mask options so I can't check it myself. All I can check is that if I go to Settings - Camera - Formats - High Efficiency, take a picture with the Camera app and import that in Lightroom Mobile, then Lightroom Mobile reports that it's a HEIC image, just as expected.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_2827.pngIMG_2828.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange indeed. The only explanation seems to be that the file info is not correct and that it is a HEIC image after all. So once again please check: what format do you really use? You set the HEIC format in Settings - Camera - Formats - High Efficiency.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IMG_2829.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the best format on every device and is something I'm pretty conscious about and I've tripled checked this several times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, you are indeed shooting in HEIC format and so the info in Lightroom is simply wrong. The image in Lightroom is HEIC, not JPEG. That is the only logical explanation anyway, because JPEG does not support depth masks.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

yep Going to report it as a bug to Adobe. Thanks for the assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines