• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

macOS Mojave - Adobe LR classic - Freezing on import! Any solutions?

New Here ,
Nov 10, 2018 Nov 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating macOS High Sierra to Mojave I cannot import images to my standard catalog - (Import - Copy) The process is starting and freezing.

Importing same images to other catalogs is possible.

After a clean install of macOS 10.14.1 and reinstall LR classic LR 8.0  I have got the same problem.

Also starting a new catalog and importing the old one could not solve the problem.

I cannot find out which process is blocking the import function (copy).

Cancelling the failed import process means quitting LR only by force quit (cmd/alt/escape).

Thanks for help.

Tom

Adobe Lightroom Classic Version 8.0, Camera Raw 11.0

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15', Mitte 2015),

2,2 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3,

Intel Iris Pro 1536 MB

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried selecting the memory card from 'Files' tree rather than "Devices'? See below screenshot.

import-files.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Files" or "Devises", the import will freeze immediately.

Thanks for advice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So one catalog fails, others work?

So problem with a catalog.

Do you create backups upon exit? And along with them, Integrity checks?

Now, according to this article: You may not know your Classic CC catalog is corrupt!!  that might not be the best idea, but to instead, copy your catalog (as doing a backup with integrity check might backup a corrupted one if the integrity check fail), and to instead, set your preferences up to inquire waht catalog to open upon launching LR, and selecting to accomplish an integrity check on it.

So, good copy on an external hard drive (or at least somewhere), edit your preference in your suspect catalog as shown in the article, exit LR, launch LR, select the catalog, click on integrity check, and see what happens?????

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Integrity test successfull at the end before quit, also optimized. But next time import will freeze.

Also the several backups from the last months cannot import copies.

Also importing process after starting backup catalog from external drive will freeze LR 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How to set Lightroom Classic CC preferences

Reset the preferences, can't hurt.

I'm on Mojave, no such issues so it's not that OS. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How much CCHE space have you given Camera RAW? In preferences/performance

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 GB for CAMERA RAW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Preference reset done, no effect

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

5 GB, maybe a bit more than default? But very small for large LR catalogs, Do you have hard drive space to bump that up, to double digits, If you are importing RAW files, then the Camera RAW gets involved, not sure if the CAMERA RAW CACHE gets crunched much if just JPEG SOC.

So , a MAC, Book,, or iMAC, or better? what sort of hard drive space/arrangement, If at all possible CACHE on a solid state drive is best, and CACHE not on the same drive as your programs is best (one hard drive, never mind)

Absolutely no idea if this this well help with your issue, it should however improve other aspects of LR performance,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just deleted LR 8 with CC for the second time including all preferences.

Reinstall with CC installer.

Result: Copy import not possible - Freezing

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

just increased CAMERA RAW CACHE from 5 to 8 GB. No success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just imported an 200MB image to another LR catalog. I took 2 secs, perfect.

But the standard catalog doesn't accept it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, either a very similar posting exists, or I forgot to put forward an observation/possibility/hunch

So, you have a "standard" catalog, that fails. Another catalog works?

Sounds like the catalog is corrupt???

I will have to look for a link, but on the web I came across a recommendation to check your catalogs integrity upon launching LR. This article stated that checking integrity upon exiting has a risk of actually making a corrupt catalog worse, this when you backup upon exit with integrity check, apparently the integrity check will after a failure just allow the backup to continue, and the catalog may get worse. Now, if you go into LR preferences, and have LR ask you to verify what you are opening you can also check on a box to do an integrity check.

My LR is busy publishing, can not exit to launch to grab screen shot of next part. (after relaunching LR)

GETTING to the point: Alter your preferences as seen in the above screen shot, and exit lightroom.  Make a copy of your affected catalog, not from backing up with an integrity check, but just a straight up copy outside of lightroom, in case this goes very very wrong. Relaunch lightroom (from the shortcut icon, double clicking on a catalog will not work for this, And in the dialog window that pops up, check off to do an integrity check.

Mind you, I am assuming, that like probably 90% of us (including me) you do not do an integrity check. Heck, if like me, I never use the backup from within LR, I just copy hole catalogs outside of LR to multiple external drives. If you do accomplish integrety checks, and this particular catalog passed it, then my hunch is useless.

Cross fingers, maybe cross toes, and hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried to resync all folders in the LR catalog and 2018 failed with error like this screenshot

screenshot.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You may want to use Google and search on "unique constraint failed: AgLibraryFolder.rootFolder". Looks like this sort of error indicates a corrupt catalog, it is from the database engine LR uses.

At least one person asking about this or similar, that you may find in your google search, got this error, when they in the folder panel went to show parent folder. Sounds like something got fouled up in file structure.

Might be looking at reorganizing catalog, might be looking at replacing catalog. Not sure if you copy images along with xmp side car files (when created) and launch a new catalog, if your edits will go with the images. Never ever have done this.

not sure if you export the entire catlog, if the new one will be good, thats probably a better attemt than copying/pasting to another location, to another catalog. once again, never done.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And this is what you would get when relaunching LR:  Click that Integrity check box, cross fingers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did integrity check and optimizing, no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines