• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

InDesign 2019 Master Page issue

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work in book publishing. When laying out a book, it's often necessary to make changes to the margins of certain pages, either to accommodate the dropped opening of a chapter, or to set a spread a line long or short to avoid unsightly widows. I do this by applying a master page to adjust the margins accordingly. Up until now (assuming Layout Adjustment was enabled), the text frame margins would adjust to match the new master page margins. But in InDesign 2019, Enable Layout Adjustment is gone, and though the page margins change properly, the text frame doesn't change, and I have to manually drag it into shape. This is a big time-waste and a PITA. I've tried fiddling with all the new settings, and nothing restores the old behavior. Someone suggested that creating the document with "Primary Text Frame" enabled would make things work properly, but no luck.

This is such a basic and natural (not to mention useful) behavior, and there must be a way to bring it back. But I can't figure out how. Can anyone help?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Hi monkeybrain2 ,

you are right. The behavior changed. Not to the better.

The old Layout Adjustment is gone, the new Adjust Layout is different.

Or the feature is not finished.

See here:

Re: [ANN] InDesign CC 2019 DOM API Docs

You could file a bug report or a feature modification request here:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

Until this is fixed one could do it by scripting.

You could ask here: InDesign Scripting

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi monkeybrain2 ,

you are right. The behavior changed. Not to the better.

The old Layout Adjustment is gone, the new Adjust Layout is different.

Or the feature is not finished.

See here:

Re: [ANN] InDesign CC 2019 DOM API Docs

You could file a bug report or a feature modification request here:

Adobe InDesign Feedback

Until this is fixed one could do it by scripting.

You could ask here: InDesign Scripting

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other option would be to return to InDesign CC 2018.1.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, Uwe. I filed a bug report (that page is such a mess) and reverted to 2018 for now. Much appreciated.

Best,

Erik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Erik,

thank you for filing the bug report. I voted for fixing the issue:

Text margins don't change when master pages are applied – Adobe InDesign Feedback

FWIW:

Affected are not only page margins, but also the number of columns and the value for column gap.

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SEE EDIT BELOW!

Same problem here. Also book publishing work. Wanted to change margins globally via the master page. That only alters the first 10 or so and the last few pages, not the 360 pages in between. Looks like a bug, good to read about that here, thought it was my fault ...

EDIT:

I found a workaround for my problem which is not exactly the same as the one of the op: If I re-apply the old, unchanged master page to all pages and after that change margins the text-frames adapt accordingly. It seems like although indesign tells master page applied, it is not! Sorry for my bad english, but I thought this might be of some help, much better to re-apply a unaltered master page than to correct 350 pages of text-frames manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines