Exit

Nvidia GTX 1050

Contributor ,
Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Considering purchasing a dell xps 15 laptop with:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Graphics with 4GB GDDR5 vRAM

Could someone tell me if this is tested with Premiere. I cannot see it on the list of recommended hardware although similar models are

Thanks

Chris

TOPICS
Hardware or GPU

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jul 18, 2018 Jul 18, 2018

Unless you're adopting a proxy workflow, that quad-core mobile CPU will become choked while trying to handle 4k editing directly. Unfortunately, there is no cheap lunch there, especially when the components that are needed to comfortably handle 4k can get very expensive. And there is now a newer version of the Dell XPS 15 that comes with a 6-core/12-thread i7-8750H CPU and a slightly upgraded GTX 1050 Ti GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moved to Hardware Forum​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The video card will work, but more importantly, which processor and how much RAM?

What type of video will you be editing?

What effects will you be using?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply

Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ (Quad Core,up to 3.8GHz, 6MB Cache, 45W)

either 16 or 32gb

4k footage - various effects don't want to be limited

Thanks

Chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you're adopting a proxy workflow, that quad-core mobile CPU will become choked while trying to handle 4k editing directly. Unfortunately, there is no cheap lunch there, especially when the components that are needed to comfortably handle 4k can get very expensive. And there is now a newer version of the Dell XPS 15 that comes with a 6-core/12-thread i7-8750H CPU and a slightly upgraded GTX 1050 Ti GPU.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 23, 2018 Jul 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

thanks for your reply. I have ordered a dell xps15 i7-8750 6 core with 16gb memory (for now). thanks for your help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 29, 2018 Jul 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How do you like it? I'm circling the same waters. I'm debating on pulling the trigger or waiting to see what else will be released this Fall.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So far so good.

Editing 60 min doc in 4k fine and rendering pretty quick to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good call, especially since what I suggested to you has a significantly higher all-core Turbo clock speed than your original choice: The i7-8750H you ultimately chose has an all-core (six cores, in this case) Turbo clock speed of 3.9 GHz while your original i7-7700HQ choice runs at only 3.4 GHz Turbo with all four of its cores in use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

advise needed: I got the XPS 9570 with GTX 1050, 8GB RAM(will likely upgrade to 16 when I need to) and core i5 version (because base frequency is 2.3ghz vs 2.2 on the i7 model). I won't be editing 4k videos. I'm still learning after effects and will likely be doing light animation or short clips with text in HD. I was having some issues with fans getting loud every few seconds/minutes while AE is open but this seems to be an issue even with newer MacBook pros which cost 800-1000eur more.

Is this a smart choice for now until I learn my way around after effects/illustrator and maybe in a year or two actually invest in a desktop? while having the laptop as backup if I need to work while travelling. I'm also considering buying the new Ipad pro atm (if that's worth mentioning). Thank you in advance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's not really much RAM for After Effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having a lots of CUDA playback issues (CUDA playback dropping off, black screen after few minutes) with Dell XPS 15 9750 with Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti.  I got it to work reliably with and older GeForce driver (397.93) which I can no longer install because Win 10 64 automatic updates.  The newer GeForce drivers  416.34 and 416.81 (compatible with Win 10 64 Built 17134) have CUDA playback issues with laster version of Premiere Pro CC (Version 13.0.1 (built 13). You can revert your project to Open CL mode which works reliably but much slower export/playback.  Really frustrating with a new machine....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few tries, the Nvidia installer let me downgrade to 397.93.  All is working well now.  So, buyers of the newest Dell XPS 15 with GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, beware!  Do not update to the latest Nvidia driver versions 416.34 or 416.81.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And also make sure you have Intel's driver .6373 installed.  Windows update loves to revert to an older Intel driver that doesn't play nice at all with Premiere.  All I can say is that Premiere Pro 13.1 CUDA support is VERY dependent on your Intel/Nvidia driver combination.  That is quite unusual as in the past, I found Premiere to be pretty agnostic to this.  I never experience so manu crashes and CUDA playback problems with previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines