• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inaccurate representation of specific photos in Lightroom

New Here ,
Nov 12, 2018 Nov 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the past week, I learned how to use Lightroom Classic CC and I've been developing some RAW files from a couple of hiking trips on my Surface Pro 4 (i5, 8GB).

The problem is, after I export these photos, they look very different from what I saw in Lightroom. For example, I'll have three photos that are almost exactly the same, taken only seconds apart. After export, the first will look the way I wanted it to. The second will be very dark because I reduced exposure too much without knowing it. The third will be brighter than the first.

When I open Lightroom and check them out, they all look the same. When I go into the develop module, on the second, it'll look like the first for a few moments, and then it'll get really dark, like it does when it's exported. I'll look at the third image, but when I go back to the second, it'll be bright and clear again. In grid view, they'll all look similar. It's just not consistent.

Any advice on how to fix this or what the problem even is?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

More than a bit confused, so I will ask some questions.

1)

"after I export these photos, they look very different from what I saw in Lightroom"

Do you meen export them in the LR catalog to another format other than RAW? TIFF? JPEG?

Or did yuo perhaps mean Import, from yur cameras memory card?

2) Ae you comparing the loupe view in the develop module with the grid view in the library module? Big image in develop, little images even perhaps those in the film strip in Library?

3) Did you whoot RAW only, or RAW plus JPEG? Are some of your images actually the JPEG?

4 Incatalog settings, what are your preview size and quality?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1) By export, I mean I export them from LR as JPEG files that I share with people.

2) Yes, to your first question here. I also compare loupe in develop to loupe in library. Even the film strip in the library and develop modules are inconsistent.

3) My camera shoots a RAW + JPEG. All of the ones I'm trying to develop are RAWS.

4) Standard Preview Size: Auto (2736px)

Preview Quality: Medium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which color space are the JPG exports using? (sRGB is probably best.)

Which image viewer are you using for the exported JPGs? Not all of Microsoft's apps are as correctly color managed as they should be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, thinking abou this and perhaps a small tutorial, but something in the back of head is thinking something is kaput. Anyhow.

Ok, your new to Lightroom, I have no idea if you are new to post processing, and I have no idea if your new to shooting RAW.

1. At inception,  when you take that shot. When you shoot in RAW, the camera processes the image on the sensor, it collects info on all settings from the camera (every single item you can alter), it collects info about the camera (model, lens, serial numbers), it creates a file that it stores on the SD card including the RAW data of each and every pixel, the combined metadata, and a small raster image (a JOEG) Image.

when you look at the cameras LCD or OVF to see what you took, you are looking at that small JPEG. That small JPEG was processed by the processor in the camera per your instructions, per the settings you set, film simulation, color space, color shifts, sharpening, etc etc etc.

2. At import into Lightroom (LR). The RAW file is copied to your catalog in a folder you specify (I am ignoring copy as DNG, and ADD, just keep this simple). A small image, a thumbnail in effect shows up at the bottom in the film strip. You might, depending on your import settings  notice that that image looks good at first, then looks flat, mayby muddy, dull, not right. (some ways to improve on this, and some newer cameras provide a better embedded JzpEG, but moving on ). What happened is that initial image in the film strip was the embedded JPEG, nit A representation of the RAW file.

continuing, unless you change the defaults LR will creat a previewimage at import, but it takes a few seconds. LR displays that initial JPEG, does some number crushing, converts the RAW data, creates a new preview, and displays the new preview.

at this point the small images in the film strip, and the larger images in loupe, or for that matter grid views, are preview images of LR interpretation of the RAW data.

Previews exist or are created for the film strip images, for the grid view images, for the standard loupe view, eventually for your zoom in views 1:1, etc, when these are accomplished depends upon your settings, won’t get into that.

ok, you click on a image in the film strip, it comes up, and frig it changes the first time, what gives? The preview if not previously created (first time that image, then yes, new preview) gets created (you might see the word Loading),

ipad battery going out end part 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part 2,,

so so you go and edit your RAW image, you post process, you get it where you want, and you go to export it for the file type appropriate to where you are publishing.

several ways to do that.

the export feature in Lar, fairly clear, pay attention to color space typically sRGB for JPEG to be viewed on various screens.

export to a plug-in, py attention, export as a copy with LR mods? If not, boom, nit what you were going for,

pay ray attention to the history panel, did you accidentally move to an early state.

Using LR publish service, pay attention to the options.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a lot of great information. Thank you.

I haven't been able to express what's going on with my software so I uploaded a clip, a desktop capture.

In the video, I'm switching back and forth between 3 very similar images in the Development module. You can see them flicker and change as I go back and forth. That middle picture in particular had a very low exposure at one point, but I didn't realize it because the image was bright until I returned to it at a later time.

When I move to the Library, you can see the images are brighter than they were in Development, even after I've waited quite a while. None of these were newly imported. They sat there for at least a few hours while I was doing other things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The vid well probably help a lot. No clue just yet, clearly my whatever is not it.

Curious, perhaps not enough coffee just yet, I can not remember what that button is, Just above your film strip. left end, hand over a circle, can you mouse hover over that and report back its description?  (Oh, you are using a tablet PC, perhaps relates to touch screen??)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you click on an image in the film strip, in Develop module, lightroom reads the database entrys as to what has been done to the image, it also reads what is in the history panel (even though those steps are in the database), it reads whatever presets are in your presets panel (even thought that is constant image to image), and probably some items I am forgetting about.

Now, in older versions of LR that could cause a time lag in viewing the image, so much that you could get a loading message even if you already had previews created, then later this sort of behavior.

You may get members asking you to verify your Lightroom version even though it is clearly CC Classic.

So what is happening now????

Other members? Any clue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

While you are at it, in LR, click on Help, then System Information, click on copy, and paste that info in your next reply. That will answer anyone's inquiry as to lightroom version, license status, GPU status.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, GPU status? That reminds me. Preferences/Performance/Use Graphics Processor     On or off? does changing that improve things (despite having latest greatest GPU, or oldest slowest GPU) probably need to close and relaunch LR in between attempts/experiments when changing that option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way, remembered this little tidbit looking at another issue.

Lightroom uses a different color space when in Library module as opposed to Develop module, that is to speed things up by not being as graphics processing intensive in library module.

To evaluate your images, do so in develop mode. Preferably at 1:1 preview.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That little icon is to switch to Touch mode on my tablet.

I tried disabling the GPU. That didn't change anything.

My Lightroom version is 8 [1193777].

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Appears that your previews (Library works from jpeg previews instead of the raw files) are not getting updated correctly for some reason. Try generating 1:1 previews for all three files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried Generating 1:1 previews. Things were fine in the Library but the Develop module was still giving me issues. It couldn't decide what the proper exposure and such were, changing as I went back and forth between each of the three. I pasted the same settings to all three and exported to JPEG and they all looked different.

Could a problem with the Raw files themselves cause this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Possibly. If you can share the dng files on a dropbox or so we can check them

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RAW Photos

These I took with my Galaxy S8+ using the built in Camera app. I noticed that with these photos, in LR and PS, I always get a pink stripe on the left or bottom. Not sure why so I've been doing a simple crop to get rid of it. I'll be using the LR Camera app on Android from now on to avoid that since it doesn't happen there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe your 'pink' line is related to this acknowledged bug with Samsung 7 raw files & LR8.0.:

Lightroom/Camera Raw: Artifacts at Edges of Galaxy S7 raw/DNG Files | Photoshop Family Customer Comm...

I see the issue with your files initially as a black line across the bottom of the photos (if LR photo background was black it would be missed.) But it changes to other colours/artifacts when I switch back/forth between photos a few times when using LR8.0 on my laptop. It affects about the bottom ~25 pixels.

Add your vote/follow to the thread in the feedback forum.

And this may also be causing the problems with the previews?

Workaround: Using LR7.5 on my desktop the photos display without these artifacts, so you may want to go back to LR 7.5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. That's a bummer. I'll reinstall 7.5 and see what happens. I'll keep an eye on that thread too. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These behave pretty normally on my machine. After first loading they change to much brighter probably because the standard rendering in Lightroom is brighter than the jpeg rendering (for the built in jpeg preview in the dng file) from your phone. That's the only shift I see and after that they behave consistent. P.S. I see no pink strip anywhere.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How about a small demonstration, in this case a screenshot.

Pick an Image that is giving you grief. In the develop module, over on the left make sure the history panel is viewable, over on the right, the histogram, and the basic panel should be viewable, and of course in loupe view. Also the film strip, so left, right and bottom viewable.

Also, just in case some default has been changed, make sure the filename shows up.

the screenshot should look just as it did the last time you went to export the image.

take that shot and post in your next reply.

next, start you edit process, bring up the export dialog, set it up, take a screenshot, post that shit in the reply.

Important to see status of your history panel, your histogram, your basic panel. Important to see export settings specifically in file type and file dimensions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here's a video of me having an issue with a single one of these photos with all the panes open.

Video Link

What I'm doing here is focusing on one photo. I export it with basic settings. Then I go back to LR and hop between the neighboring photos for a bit. You can see the way it flickers and changes.

I then export the same photo again without making any changes and compare. They're clearly different. And this is a more subtle difference. They were bigger for some other ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines