• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Re: InDesign running slow. Spinning ball constantly appearing.

Community Beginner ,
Nov 13, 2018 Nov 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same problem. 6 page document in Indesign with some Illustrator maps (fairly detailed). Every zoom, clicking on a text box, etc and... spinning ball. Read through here and saw someone say "the only solution I found was working offline, but that's impractical." At first, I thought he meant off his network. Then I thought perhaps he means disconnect from the internet. So, out of curiosity I turned off my WiFi. OMG! Not one spinning ball, no matter how fast I moved or what I did. This clearly tells me that something is going on with Adobe CC or some Adobe task that is connected online. I am SO HAPPY! What should have taken me an hour was taking me 3 hours. Thanks for suggesting going offline! Oh, and Adobe, please figure this out. You guys are smart and create AMAZING software, so let us know how to solve this problem without having to go "offline". Or update your software to fix this please. Thanks, James

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly same trouble here!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just turn off the 'control' and 'properties' panel it speeds up everything.

New features are broken and need fixing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

We have fixed the performance issue in our latest release InDesign CC2019.0.1. I would recommend you to upgrade to the latest version as it is more robust.

Let me know if you still face an issue.

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

We are running 14.0.0.130 and it says its the most up to date on Creative Cloud.

Has this updated version not gone live yet?

Thanks

T

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this moment, it appears that the update to 14.0.1 is not quite yet released. Look for it soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not sure if this is the right area for feedback on the latest build but i'm still getting the 2 second freeze and colour wheel when using text tool to select a text block with the 'control window' active.

If I select a few text boxes then select an image box it will freeze when I select a new text box.

With 'control window' turned off, there is no colour wheel freeze whatever you do.

Also with no network connection there is no freeze.

Neither of these solutions is workable.

This is only something that has occurred on CC2019, cc2018 13.1 was fine.

Running OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
4GHZ Imac 32GB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 16, 2019 Jan 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

January 16, 2019... InDesign is still super slow.  Moving a text box if very painful.  The spinning wheel makes it impossible to work.  I had to go back to 13.0 version, and that works just find.

Has Adobe not yet patched this problem?  Now, when I open files that I created in 14.0 I have to covert them back down to 13.0.  Do we know when a possible fix for this will come out?  I see these posts are two months old already.  Am I missing something?

I tried turning off "Control" and "online connection" and neither seem to work.  I get the same slow, freezing results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi AMG_Sal ,

what's your exact version of InDesign CC 2019?

If you have 14.0.1.209 installed the patch update Srishti is talking about is installed:

Fixed issues in InDesign CC

You can look up the detailed version by holding the Ctrl key ( Windows ) or the Cmd key ( Mac OS X ) and go to "About InDesign".

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also of interest:

Known issues in InDesign CC

Regards,
Uwe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laubender I think I figured it out... going to see how it works out.  But as I stated before I use Extensis Suitcase Fusion for my font management.  Well, they auto-activate fonts in a document when you open the document in InDesign.  Great feature!  However, they have this new feature (I think it's new, I have never seen it before)... called "Enable Font Sense Support".  I am not sure what it actually does, I assume it checks back with the program or online to make sure the font being used is in good working order (that is what I'd like to believe it is doing)... once I unchecked it, restarted InDesign, opened my document (and any other documents) my problem has since disappeared.  For the time being at least.... I will see what happens in the next few days as I will be heavily using InDesign.  If I run into the same issue, I will just go back to CC2018 (I hate going backwards).

As of right now it is working (should have figured it was a font issue... it always is a font issue!!  Doh!!)... if anything else changes I will write back here to let you know the update.  Thanks for your help and suggestions to troubleshoot this annoying problem!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fontsense has been used in Extensis products for several years. Each font that is ingested in to Suitcase Fusion or Universal Type Client products is given a unique Fontsense ID. These ID's help us identify the font used in each document or project used by embedding/including these ID's in your project.

Using our Plug-ins we identify the Fontsense ID in the project and then activate them with 100% confidence using these ID's. If the font is missing or cannot be identified properly, a missing font dialog will appear telling you the proper font is not able to be found in your Extensis application and you need to make an alternate choice or find the original font.

If you have a project issue or need more assistance with Suitcase Fusion, please contact our Support Team using the link below:

https://help.extensis.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Jeff_Extensis thank you, I have submitted a request via the link you provided.  I turned back on FontSense, and the problem came back.  So as of right now it is turned off.  I need to get some work done! LOL

Thanks again!  I will let you know the verdict when they get back to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jeff_Extensis​  They got back to me... super fast!!  Here what they told me to do, and it seems to have worked.  I am going to be using InDesign heavily the next few days, so I will be able to confirm if this actually fixes the issue. 

Clear the System Font Cache:

1. Open Suitcase

2. Select File>Clean font cache

3. This will prompt a reboot of the system

Clearing Preference Files:

1. Close Suitcase & any creative applications

2. Open Activity Monitor (Located in Utilities) and force quit the FMCore process

3. Navigate to /Users/Username/Library/Preferences (the user library is hidden by default on Mac OS, you can access it by going to Finder, clicking the Go drop down menu, and holding down the Alt/Option key)

4. Delete any file that begins with com.extensis

5. Re-open Suitcase

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked the exact version, and I do have 14.0.1.209 installed.  But I still have the same issue of the delay when clicking things and move them around, or trying to type.  Even when I click on a menu item I get the thinking ball. 

I wonder if it could be a font issue.  I currently use Extensis Fusion (have the most recent version of that) for my font management.  I have been using them for over 15 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

Sorry about the miscommunication, this patch update is on Prerelease at the moment. I believe it will officially available soon. Please find more details here: Adobe Prerelease

Regards,

Srishti

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines