• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

After Mac hard drive and external drive failed, I cannot access any of my edited Lightroom 5 or Classic CC files.

New Here ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

Both my external hard drive, where I store most of my photos, then my hard drive on my Mac, where I have other photos stored, both failed.  I managed to restore all my photos but I can no longer access them through Lightroom 5.  They do not show up.  One issue I think is I bought a new and different external hard drive.  I am sure one of the issues is the the new hard drive has changed the path the computer is trying to search for my photos.  In regard to my Mac's new hard drive, I just know I can't access my photo files.  It's like all my photos have been disconnected.  I have no idea what the real terms are for this issue but the bottom line is I cannot access any of my Lightroom 5 edited files going back many years.  I can find (4) Lightroom 5 catalog.lrat files, about 50 Lightroom Library Imports.lrcat files, and five more lrcat files that end in: (1) lrcat-wal, (2) lrcat.lock files, (1) lrcat-journal, and (1) lrcat.zip file.  But I don't really know anything about these different files and formats except that lrcat files is what I believe I need to look for.  And I have no idea how to restore access to them.

Please help.  I would love to, and need to, work with my photos.

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The .lock file is the one Lightroom creates when open. This is from the last open catalog when the application crashed. I'd go to the folder that is in and open the .lrcat with a matching name. You'll probably need to delete the .lock file though.

You can reconnect folders by right clicking and choosing Find Missing Folder.

I've something about it in this video on Folders: https://youtu.be/G23Msjpmkr4

Sean McCormack. Author of 'Essential Development 3'. Magazine Writer. Former Official Fuji X-Photographer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you Sean!  I am back on track.  Thanks for your help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines