34 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2018 6:53 PM by LostAndBewildered

Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?

nigelc19500212

Since upgrading to PSE 14 I get a spinning heel for several seconds / minutes after every click of the mouse or movement of the mouse? Why? and  when will it be corrected?

• 1. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
          LMDetmayer

I purchased the new PSE 18 and the selection wand does not work.  It spins for a very long time and then still doesn't select. Then the program shuts down.

• 2. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
            richardh52048476

I downloaded PSE 15.0 from adobe and now I get an error message that states there is not enough RAM each time I try to save anything other than a PDF, please advise

Richard

• 3. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
              MichelBParis Adobe Community Professional & MVP

richardh52048476  wrote

I downloaded PSE 15.0 from adobe and now I get an error message that states there is not enough RAM each time I try to save anything other than a PDF, please advise

Richard

If you are on Windows 10, the latest 1803 update created this huge bug;

See:

Error: An integer between 50 and 8 is required | Elements | Windows 10

• 4. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                de137e Level 1

This is very frustrating, what is going on???? I can't work with this!!!!

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?

de137e  wrote

This is very frustrating, what is going on???? I can't work with this!!!!

What is so frustrating?

FAQ: What information should I provide when posting, or What do you need to know to solve my issue?

• 6. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                    cb32640580 Level 1

I HAVE THE SAME ISSUE WITH 2019 EDITION

• 7. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                      davidm35855585 Level 1

I am also getting this highly flustrating effect on PE2019 following an update from pe12. Seems like money totally wasted, not an update at all. What is Adobe doing about it.

• 8. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                        darylj40233865 Level 1

I have the same problem with PE 2019.  I think it's because I am updated to Mojave but don't know if that is the cause.  Extremely frustrating.

• 9. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                          offroadrunner Level 1

I had that and the answer is that the system is pretty much unusable whilst it's completing face recognition. The best thing is to load Organiser, touch nothing and just let it run. If you ask too much it will simply lock up. 

Now that's done,  it's just about usable but very, very slow - much slower than pse15 which I upgraded from and which was never the quickest.

After all the recent issues with Windows 10, I don't know what's happening with software companies these days. Too much commercial pressure to release something that isn't ready?

• 10. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                            chrisw18201120 Level 1

PE2019 is absolute rubbish. I have just reset preferences as suggested by them. No change. I used to get these problems rasterising large Mac Photoshop files 25 years ago. Now with a modern iMac / Mojave with16Gg Ram it is so slow and is just wasting my time.

Adobe have a reputation for poor software.

I think I am going to look on the FOR FREE market to look for a better product

• 11. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                              darylj40233865 Level 1

I noticed similar comments/problems on other threads discussing Mojave problems.   One "work-around" suggestion that has seemed to work for me has been closing down organizer before doing any editing.   I tried working on a a couple of photos last night and it did work.  

It's not a "solution" and hopefully Adobe will fix the bug but at least I can use the editing tools.   Hopefully this will work for others too

Frankly, even ignoring this flaw, I liked Elements 12 more than Elements 2019 but it stopped working when I downloaded Mojave. 

• 12. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                lindam75650076

I am getting so frustrated with PE2019 and Mojave. I have tried everything I have seen on support, but still can't get edit to work. I constantly get spinning wheel. I had no problems with PE 2014 until Mojave. Just thought I needed to upgrade Elements. Is there anything else I can try short of buying new photo program altogether.

• 13. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                  Arggggh! Level 1

Seems to be related to the organizer. Load a pic turn off organizer and it is better. I hope they do something to make the whole deal work better.

• 14. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                    phillipm74929093

I have discovered what the problem is with the spinning wheel. You need to go to system preferences then security and privacy and make sure that the Adobe app is ticked. If not then select it and save.

• 15. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                      phillipm74929093 Level 1

I have discovered what the problem is with the spinning wheel. You need to go to system preferences then security and privacy and make sure that the Adobe app is ticked. If not then select it and save.

• 16. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                        phillipm74929093 Level 1

• 17. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                          lindam75650076 Level 1

I have tried system preferences and turning off organizer. Neither worked. In fact when I tried to deal with the organizer I got the spinning wheel. Are we just supposed to wait until Adobe fixes the problem? I use PSE every day and now I can't get anything done. Does anyone know if it is actually an Adobe or Apple problem. I didn't have this problem with PSE 14 and now PSE19 until Mojave upgrade. I'm sorry I ever upgraded to Mojave.

• 18. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                            jonm65923412

Echoing everything above - use every day, can't anymore. Was on PE 14, now on 19, regretting every upgrading to Mojave. Spoke on live chat with technicians from Adobe at length who have said we need to wait for a patch. Apple support said to downgrade back to El Capitan involves first backing up and wiping entire Macbook. Nightmare.

• 19. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                              offroadrunner Level 1

Given that I have the same issue with Windows 10, I wouldn't automatically assume that your problem is caused by Mojave. Microsoft are having issues with a botched October update which was deleting files and other things so, like you, I initially blamed the operating system. However the fact that both PC and Apple users seem to be having issues with Elements suggests that this is primarily an Adobe problem perhaps exacerbated by other issues.

• 20. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                Clivesan1 Level 1

Do adobe ever write anything in these strings if not what use are they (and adobe)? Adobe are you reading these if so why not reply because this is a major issue with your software???

• 21. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                  chrisw18201120 Level 1

ADOBE. Even if you don't have a solution yet, please show signs of life by leaving an acknowledgement to these posts. If not we can only assume we are wasting more of our time by posting here. Do you have so little respect for your clients who have purchased your software? Keep us in the loop or lose us!

• 22. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                    offroadrunner Level 1

I found this forum when trying to get some support from Adobe to resolve the issues we're all having. All paths led to the forum not to a technician - in other words, we've got your money now help yourself. I posted a new thread pretty much echoing chrisw19201120's comments. I first registered Elements 4.0 in 2005 and have upgraded six times over the years. Similarly with Lightroom from 4 to 6 until they moved to the subscription model (they scandalously keep trying to get me to "upgrade" to the inferior latest version which still doesn't do everything V6 does).

My point is that we are long term customers and have stuck with you over the years. The competition is circling. All I want is an answer that says we're sorry, but we're working on a fix. The same happened with Microsoft where they issued an update to Windows 10 that was deleting files. No apology and you had to read third party blogs to find out that they'd pulled the update and what solutions might be available.

I suspect that the marketing guys are demanding an annual update to keep their bonuses buoyant and that the Techies are as frustrated as we are knowing that the product wasn't ready but prevented from going public because it would harm future sales. Adobe have a choice - look after your long term customers or lose us. Selling a crap product isn't going to do much for those you want to upgrade in the future is it?

I'm probably being too logical - in the UK we're letting our leaders spend all their time on leaving the EU and shooting each other whilst the country crumbles, in the US it's Trump. The world has gone mad!

• 23. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?

I hope you won't mind a Windows user to intrude in your Mac conversation. I just want to help even if I don't have a Mac and do not know much about Macs... Usually I refrain to comment on Mac issues and I avoid any sterile discussion comparing operating system platforms.

However here, the issue you are faced with requires understanding a few facts. I'll list them here and please discuss them here if you want if you don't agree.

1 - You are here in a user to user forum. You are right that if you search for help using your software, you'll finally get here if you don't have found answers with other help resources. Also, you'll see a few Adobe Staff helping here from time to time, but that's only to give help on using Elements, not to answer questions about feedback or feature requests.

Which forum should I post to? (Feedback vs Forums)

This is the Nr 1 faq. The feedback forum is here for Adobe to hear your complaints and questions.

You'll see that your issue is currently discussed there:

Photoshop Elements | Photoshop Family Customer Community

You are free to add your ideas, complaints and vote for those already mentioned.

You are also free to read similar threads in both forums where solutions have been mentioned several times.

2 - Your issue involves OS requirements. (Mac or Windows).

Most Mac users (even expert Adobe software users) may miss a few facts which are related to the OS (operating system). Some Windows users are also surprised by the consequences of OS version updates. That includes two fundamental ones, backward compatibility and safety features. Any OS version change, Mac or Windows may result in making your older softwares problematic. And there, asking Adobe to solve Mac or Microsoft issues won't help at all.

3 - Let's talk about backward compatibility.

That means if you install a new version of your OS, Mac or Windows, the old softwares will still work. History has proven that Apple does not care much about backward compatibility. Many professional relying on Mac hardware and software know that they'll never upgrade on their main system until they have checked they can do it. It appears that the same risk is becoming true for Windows. There are so many posts on all Adobe softwares that you can't ignore the risk. For Elements, remember the number of issues created by the Windows 10 (1803) bug. That issue was very serious because users could not revert back to previous versions.

4 - Your Elements software, like any other, is based on code created by Adobe programers, and this code relies on code used by your currently used operating system. The Adobe code uses bricks of code from Apple or Microsoft. If those bricks are removed or changed by updates, the Adobe code no longer works as expected since the API calls for those libraries will fail.

5 - OS updates to insure more safety to your personal data. It's natural that Apple and Microsoft both include more safety measures. It appears from several solutions for your issue posted here in this forum, that you have to set your Mac settings to authorize Elements as a recognized software... In other words, Apple, by default, does not trust Adobe.

6 - The last versions of the Mac OS and Elements have been released at the same time. That means that Adobe programmers could not work and test their version on the definitive Apple versions. There may be hope for an update of Elements, if there is something Adobe can do to be approved by the Mac security system.

7 - Don't expect Adobe to publicly and officially criticize Apple or Microsoft in the above situation. It's easy to understand why...

The usual answer in the present case is to say 'I understand your frustration...' I really feel like this myself, but I think that solutions have already been offered here and that you should try them.

• 24. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                        Clivesan1 Level 1

First comment is that Adobe directs us to the forum rather than giving any support directly - If they could be bothered to help and directly set up help to indicate possible answers then there would be not need for your forum nor would we feel so frustrated with Adobe that they sell and abandon users.

You can talk all you want about Apple OS being the fault but the fact is that adobe cannot sell a product without computers with an OS. Therefore Adobe needs to work with Apple and Microsoft to ensure their products work or they will not sell products - I had to upgrade from Elements 12 to 19 due to Apple OS going 64bit and I accept that I cannot run “old” software on new OS forever.  So we are not talking backward compatibility but Adobe’s latest software. When I upgrade to the latest Adobe software I do not expect major issues and if there are Adobe should at least say they are working on it or offer point of sale advice about how work around. After struggling with a problem for hours and chatting with adobe chat line to have no answer is more than frustrating it borders on selling a product that is not fit for use. Under UK law this should warrant a refund. I have used one of the answers on the string and it is a partial answer but it still remains that adobe have an issue with certain function sin elements and should be addressing this Urgently not blaming Apple or Microsoft.

If this is a forum for Adobe to gather info   - is it run by adobe , do you work for adobe?-    it is a customer interface and there is nothing worse than ignoring customer feedback and if that feedback is that Adobe need to be more helpful about bugs etc then they should take that on board.

I have talked to several other adobe elements and CC users, all bar 1 is having significant problems with the combination of Mohave and Adobe and just wiping your hands of the issue, saying its apple's fault when people are paying Adobe a lot of money is an unacceptable answer.

You may not like the statements above but if Adobe were to adopt a  more responsible and responsive attitude we would not be having this conversation

If you reply to this please state the true nature of your relationship with Adobe.

• 25. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?

If this is a forum for Adobe to gather info   - is it run by adobe , do you work for adobe?-  

No.

If you reply to this please state the true nature of your relationship with Adobe.

I said "I hope you won't mind a Windows user..." which means I am another user just like you. (This is why I feel free to criticise Adobe when I find it is the right thing to do.)

You won't believe me either, but I have no other interest in this forum than being happy to help fellow users.

- I don't like the words in the ACP badge (Adobe Community Professinal) as I am no professional. A simple serious amateur.

Meet the Experts

- I only use (and pay) Elements for my own needs (All ACPs are entitled to a free CC subscription, but I only use it to answer questions here)

- I don't write books, I don't teach classes or have any other commercial incentive to be known or promoted...

But, it seems that you are not so much interested if facts.

• 26. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                            Clivesan1 Level 1

good answer always like facts so don’t sweat it.

• 27. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                              Liqchro

P. I have the new Mohave OS. Your solution works for the most part. Its even better if you put off the Organizer after transferring to the Editor.

BB

• 28. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                                lindam75650076 Level 1

I probably did something extreme but it doesn't work much better. I removed Mojave and reloaded PSE19. The spinning wheel is there for a few seconds as opposed to the several minutes before.

• 29. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                                  samh31729062

is there an easy way to downgrade from mojave? - i have PSE 15 and have the same issue. Sometimes it works fine, other times its completly unusebale

• 30. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                                    gordonw67633775

I took this question to my local Apple shop in Edinburgh and was told the only way to revert to the previous OS from Mojave was to format the hard drive then reinstall the previous OS. Apple offered to do this for me free of charge. Even so, this wasn't what I wanted to hear and I am still undecided what to do next.

• 31. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                                      lindam75650076 Level 1

I had the same problem with PE 2019. I did exactly what Apple suggested and now PE works just fine. It was a pain in the but to do, but it worked.

• 32. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                                        gordonw67633775 Level 1

Glad to hear this. So, what did Apple tell you to do?

• 33. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                                          chrisw18201120 Level 1

Leave your Mac alone!!! I have Elements 2019 and Mojave too.  Editor and Organiser will not run properly when both open at the same time. Load the file in Organiser, then send to Editor. Close Organiser and Editor will run fine. For subsequent files, close editor and open organiser, and so on. It's a pain but it works.

• 34. Re: Why do I get a spinning wheel after every mouse action?
                                                                            LostAndBewildered

Yes, the suggested solution does ‘work’, but it is an AWFUL, unacceptable solution. Having to constantly open and close the Organizer is indeed painful.