Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Creating Small File Sized Proxies with Mixed Frame Rates

Explorer ,
Nov 15, 2018 Nov 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have been searching far and wide and I cannot find any good info on creating proxies for mixed frame rates. I would like to know if theres a better and more efficient method that I am currently using. 

I shoot weddings using a variety of frame rates and resolutions and I would like to know what would be the best way for me to create small sized proxies that I can send to a remote editor online.

Currently I am interpreting all of the footage to 23.976 in Premiere Pro and then right clicking all of the files and selecting create proxies in which it creates proxies in Media Encoder.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just from curiosity, what frame rates ... and why? Other than maybe some higher for slo-mo?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Slow Motion is correct.

Typically 4K 60fps and 1080p 120fps for B-Roll.

Everything else is shot at 24fps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the 4k/60fps also for slo-mo?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For slow motion and occasionally recomposing the shot. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pairing 60 with 20.976 is a bit easier at times. Also "fits" the 120fps. Just an idea.

The proxy setup within PrPro has had its hiccups, especially dealing with "interpreted" clips. This process is working well properly for you? If so, that's good.

My question is ... are you using different frame-size proxies for the 4k so it stays in comparison (image size wize) to the original media for use in re-composing for the offline editor?

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just processed everything using the same size. I am not sure how to process 4K proxies to be a higher resolution than that of 1080p and keep the size ratio the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Math ... make sure the proportions are the same.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been using the built-in proxy presets(1024x540, 1280x720, etc.).

I was wondering if premiere would automatically keep the clips proportionate. I hope this is possible, since It seems like a common sense feature considering the current state of video capturing.

From my experience, most productions that use cinema cameras, especially RED, film in a variety of frame rates and resolution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Test with a few clips each in a new test project, make a sequence,  and see what happens.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Premiere Prodoes not currently have automatic fractional resolution functionality, so you will have to do some sleuthing to discover what Proxy frame sizes work for your mixed media. The Proxy presets provided in Premiere Pro cover a fair number of common frame sizes, but is in no way exhaustive. As Neil mention, Math ... make sure the proportions are the same

You can divide the original media height by the Proxy preset height and same for width. If they divide evenly, then it should work. If not, divide your original media height and width by the factor you desire to determine frame size to set for your Proxy. You can then go to Export Settings to give it a test run. Select on of your original clips, pick your desired Format (and codec in some Formats), apply the Height and Width and see if it is proportional. You can also check the Frame Rate option to see if it fits the range of frame rates in your various media. FYI, Format: QuickTime is going to be the most flexible in supported frame sizes, frame rates and audio channels.

If you find a Format/codec combo that supports common frame size that works for your various media set the Height and Width in the preset, then set Frame Rate to Match Source. If not, you may need to create more than one preset to meet your needs.

Maybe you already read it, but there is also some helpful info on Proxies at: Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Ingest and Proxy Workflow in Adobe Premiere Pro CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response.

With the mixed frame rates, do I need to Interpret Footage to 23.976 in both or either Premiere Pro and Media Encoder or will PP automatically create the proxies with the original frame rates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the Format/codec in the Preset you choose supports the frame rates of your various files and you checked the Frame Size checkbox for Match Source, then it will create the Proxies with the original frame rates (matches the source). Interpret Footage is not currently supported for Proxy workflow and can lead to issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the H.264 1280x720 Proxy Preset support different frame rates?

It doesnt say in the popup window.

Where do I find the check box for Match Source?

I do not see that option in the proxy window. Screen Shot 2018-11-17 at 12.58.14 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, all of the supplied Proxy presets have Match Source set for Frame Rate. Note that Frame rates are different for some Formats.You can see what each Format supports by selecting a clip in the Project panel, right-click and choose Export Media. In the Export Settings > Video tab > Frame Rate will have a dropdown menu listing all the supported frame rates. H.264 supports 10, 12, 12.5, 15, 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30, 50, 59.94 and 60 fps.

Sorry for any confusion, checking Match Source is available in Export Settings when you create a new Encoding Preset. You can find more information on creating custom Proxy presets at Adobe Premiere Pro Help | Ingest and Proxy Workflow in Adobe Premiere Pro CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks again for your response.

One more question. What should I do with my 1080p 120 fps media?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That gets a bit tricky. Even though it is not listed, QuickTime Apple ProRes or GoPro CineForm could work if your original media is exactly 120.00 fps (I tried a 120.00 fps file and the Proxy had matching 120.00 fps from these two Presets). If it is not exactly 120.00 fps, it may or may not match the frame rate. I tried a GoPro 119.88 fps file and the QuickTime Apple ProRes and GoPro CineForm Proxy presets created matching 119.88 fps Proxies.

YMMV, so please run tests to see if those presets will work with your media.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like fun. Haha!

I am filming all day tomorrow, but I will give this a shot on Sunday.

It looks like my Canon 1DX Mark II's frame rate is 119.9fps and my Fuji X-T3's frame rate is 120 fps.

Do you think interpreting the 119.9 footage to 120 fps will work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi   Trent Happel

Thought I'd ask this here, rather than start a new thread.

Can you help me understand why you can't make a proxy ingest preset with "Match Source" on Frame size and Frame Rate checked at once? Is it just a safety net to avoid incompatibility?

As I understand it from this thread, you choose one or the other.

If for example I have two types of clips: 1080p25 and 720p30, I'm not sure why I couldn't create an ingest preset for DNxHR LB 8 bit. with match source on both, and for it to create the proxies just fine.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 04, 2019 Mar 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Match Source for Frame Size and Frame Rate is currently designated for Ingest > Transcode presets. If you attempt to import such a preset in the Ingest Settings dialog, it will be imported for Transcode. If you attempt to import such a preset in the Create Proxies dialog, you will receive a warning dialog.

In you example case, you could use or create a 1280x720 preset with Match Source for Frame Rate and setting Source: Individual Clips would create compatible Proxies for your 1080p25 and 720p30 clips (since the 1280x720 Frame Size is evenly-divisible by both Frame Sizes).

All that said, please feel free to submit your feature request at Premiere Pro: Hot (4260 ideas) – Adobe video & audio apps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines