• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

2019 Update Extremely Slow and Unusable

New Here ,
Nov 05, 2018 Nov 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to 2019 (13.0.1) from 2018 (12.1.2) on 11/2. I have opened and converted two projects in progress in 2019. In both projects, all parts of the editing process have become nearly impossible when working in 2019 vs when I was working on them in 2018.

The projects are 1920x1080 23.97 using ProRes 422 footage files of the same size and FR—not proxies. There are also dynamically linked After Effects comps. In several places, those comps are layered on top of the footage and each other and sometimes use the multiply and screen blend modes. I am also using the morph cut and cross dissolve effects on the footage and the tint effect on some of the AE comps.

Before, I could scrub and play through the footage without an issue in real time. At worse, when I had several CC apps opened the footage would drop to 1/2 res. Un-rendered motion graphics would playback with dropped frames but once rendered played back in real time. Rendering was fast and exporting both from within Premiere and with AME was also fast. The one project had a TRT of 6:27 and rendered from AME in about 8-10 minutes.

Now, in 2019, I cannot scrub through the footage at all, even with it forced to 1/4 res. It takes several seconds for the current frame under the playhead to display whenever the position of it is changed.

I cannot play the project back smoothly. When I hit the spacebar to play portions of the project that are footage only (no MoG), Premiere will play a couple seconds but there are tons of dropped frames and it will only play so much before the video stops and only audio plays. At that point, it will often grind to a complete halt after a few more seconds. I cannot playback un-rendered motion graphics at all—it won't even attempt it! Even rendered sections playback in the same choppy manner as the parts that are strictly footage.

Rendering within Premiere and in the new version of AME have also become unbearably long. Hitting return to render the project used to take minutes for several hundred frames of MoG and now I have no idea how long it takes because I let it sit for an hour and it had complete 30-some frames. The project I mentioned before that rendered from AME in about 8-10 minutes took that long just to get to 1% and at that point, the estimated time to finish calculator climbed until it read over 9 hours. I let it go for another half hour until it had reached 2% and canceled the render. Just opening the project in AME and changing the render settings takes 2-3 times as long now.

The dynamically linked After Effects comps are also problematic. If I make a change in AE, the change used to show up nearly instantaneously in 2018. Now, it takes several minutes or it will just show the media pending placeholder. Changing editable text fields for AE comps from within PR also used to be instantaneous but now takes upwards of a minute to show in the program monitor once I commit the change.

Double-clicking in the project pane and opening the After Effects file to import a comp also takes forever. First, it takes several minutes to populate the top-level folders of the AE project in the import window. Then, it takes several more minutes to populate the comps when I drill down into one of the folders. This process used to happen immediately in 2018.

I am having similar performance issues in After Effects including rendering both inside AE and in AME so although I tried exporting my comps as footage clips the renders were taking so long I canceled them.

I have tried using all three rendering engines (software, Metal and OpenCL) for both AME and in Premiere's project settings as well as restarting, clearing caches and deleting preview files. Nothing changes.

I am working on a MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2018):

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 (I am unable to upgrade to Mojave due to our IT dept and enterprise security apps)

2.9 GHz i9

32 GB memory

4 GB Radeon Pro 560X

1 TB SSD (OS and apps)

1 TB Samsung T5 external SSD directly connected without adapters (project files)

This thing is a monster and so far has handled everything I can throw at it...until now. So, I don't think it is the computer at all. I am up against deadlines and lost a lot of time screwing about with 2019. Luckily, I hadn't made any significant time-consuming changes and rolled back to 2018 and finished the projects there.

I know there are several existing threads about similar performance and stability issues but this seems to be a wide-spread issue that isn't getting enough attention from Adobe. I am going to keep using 2018 and hopefully, anyone who sees this post or any of the other threads thinks twice about upgrading or at least leaves the 2018 apps installed and doesn't test out 2019 with any critical projects! Don't be an overly-excited early adopter like me!

P.S. I haven't had any of these issues with Lightroom Classic, PS, AI or AU. Only PR, AE and AME. Granted, I spend the vast majority of my time in the video apps and only use the other apps for quick tasks to support the editing process and I haven't any large batches of raw files in LR since upgrading.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the exact same problem, WTF ADOBE????!!! We  can't work like this, might just go to FC and not have to deal with all these bugs. We need a fix, pronto

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2018 Nov 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chiming in to say I've got the same issue running on PC. Very sluggish performance.

edit: Removing ALL AUDIO EFFECTS seems to have improved performance for the time being... Guess I'll have to add audio effects as a last step.

edit2: Improved but definitely not solved.

edit 3: sorry for the constant edits, just trying to help out.

I removed all audio effects, copied my entire timeline, closed Premiere Pro, opened Premiere Pro, started a new project, and pasted everything into the timeline and it seems to be working better.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 14, 2018 Nov 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Very Very slow for me as well. I hope these issues can be resolved soon. I have a newish PC and was very happy with performance in the 2018 version, new version unusable for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding another name to the list to highlight this issue to Adobe. Working on a MacBook pro with 16gb of ram and a SSD - never had problems with premiere CC 2018 but the latest update is totally unusable, same goes for AE.

- it seems the problem in my case might be running AE and Premiere at the same time. With only one app open, both seem to work much better. Not ideal, but a work around for now

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having this issue, moving back to 2018 solves it immediately. Wasted 2 days figuring it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be any After effects to premiere dynamic link just makes the whole process slow

Took around 30 minutes to render a 13 second dynamic link after effects comp in Premiere... it's shit at the moment

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have exactly the same issue. New MacBook Pro - PP2019 unusable when editing ProRes files. Reverted back to 2018 and it's smooth and fast (as should be)!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, i cant record mor than roundabout 5GB/17sec wit Blackmagic UltraStudio 4K, MBP to my external SSD.

Premiere Pro needs 30 Houers to export the 2h Moviefile to the external SSD...

How can i downgrade to Premiere Pro 2018?

Update:

It seems to be a Win10 Problem with Thunderbolt 3. I try to record in OS X and it works fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm also having issues since update, as soon as I import Sony a7iii video files I have a red bar and need to render.

The files were yellow bar before, since update I have to render after every single edit. I've update my graphics card but it hasn't solved this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 12, 2018 Dec 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems the whole CC 2019 suite doesn't work at all! Hello ADOBE whats going on? Can you please fix that asap!!!

It might be a good idea to test your software before!!!

Premiere:  - timeline doesn't work in High Sierra and Mojave whether on a MacPro nor on a brandnew MacBookPro      

- lumetri or any color correction doesn't work

- dynamic link - no chance!!!

In Photoshop im not even able to resize a smal png... crash, crash, crash...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2018 Dec 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I feel your pain! Up until yesterday, I was using AE 2018 to render a 1:30 movie that involved camera tracking. I knew that would bog down the system, but not to the extent of what I'm now seeing with AE 2019.

AE 2018 render time: 25 minutes

AE 2019 render time: estimated 7 hours, stopped render and gave up at 1.5 hours

Absolutely unacceptable, and cruel and unusual punishment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey mate.  I found a bug that was doing the same thing to me - I edit off external hard drives, and when I started using drives formatted as exfat instead of macOS journalled, prores files wouldn't play in the timeline any more.  Premiere 2018 would work fine, just not 2019.  Reformatting the exfat drives to MacOS Journalled solved the problem, and prores would work on 2018 and 2019.

Also, Metal causes me massive problems in all versions, while OpenCL and Software Only work fine.

Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 07, 2019 Jan 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM! even when importing any type of video or photo in an empty project the timeline appears in red, I do the same in 2018 and it works perfect! please fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't opened and closed a project on my own without a crash for three days, I do 10 minutes of editing then it freezes or crashes in one way or another. When I started a new project it worked for awhile then started bugging out soon as the timeline got more complicated. My life is a disaster right now. My my dell xps 8920 32 gigs ram 1060 ti card passed all the diagnostics.  i'll try going back to 2018 but I did this once and it didn't help so I'm really stumped

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem. I am a noob to video so thought it was me. Spent hours on the internet trying to find out what I am doing wrong.

Sony A7iii

File format XAVC S HD

50fpm 50m

When I import footage into a new Premiere 2019 project playback is really choppy. The first 1.5 seconds of pressing play don't even work, then choppy after that. Totally unusable!

Tried converting the footage to Apple Pro Res and still the same.

Will try 2018 version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 10, 2019 Jan 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, just used 2018 version. It is a revelation!

All working as it should.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 22, 2019 Jan 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just adding another one to the list. I have a two windows machine, one a bit newer with GTX1080 and another with GTX1050. Till 2018 version, everything was working just fine. After 2019 came along, Premiere just throws some error and stops working on the older PC that have GTX1050. The one with 1080 is running is just fine.

I therefore have the feeling that this is related to some graphics card related issue, but come on, at least it should be usable. The way thing are looking, people will soon flock to DaVinci Resolve leaving adobe behind... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have PP 2019 CC but i dont have 2018 on my machine can i go back to 2018

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 30, 2019 Jan 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You can have one version of each build series installed simultaneously  ... go to your CC app, look for previous versions, and install the 2018 one.

You can't open a later project file in an earlier version though, except via say exporting an XML file and opening that in the earlier version.

There is a method to open a .prproj file, change the version number, then open that in the earlier version. It mayor may not work depending on any effects used. Search for hacking project file versions.

Neil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines