• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR CC only outputting small low-res files from Nikon raw

Explorer ,
Jul 30, 2018 Jul 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I exported a catalog of smart previews (no raw files) to my external hd, connected it to my laptop to edit the catalog, then decided to add the folder of raw files so I could process and finish the job right there on my laptop. However, ever time I tried to output a full-size .jpg file it would only be 10MBs when opened, rather than the usual 90-95MB. So I tried outputting as a 22" x 300dpi file and although it was then much larger, the resolution was terrible. What the heck could be going on?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 31, 2018 Jul 31, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you exported a catalog with only smart previews (no raw) files, then that catalog still points to the original location of the raw files. You say you "then decided to add the folder of raw files so I could process and finish the job right there on my laptop", but most likely that will only have added to raw images to the external drive, but not 'reconnected' them to Lightroom. So as far as Lightroom is concerned, you are still only working with smart previews.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I directed LR to the folder, but it must have had something to do with adding them later. Just haven’t had that happen before.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you 'reconnected' Lightroom to that folder, then there shouldn't be a problem. Check your Export dialog settings. Maybe you resize the image on export without realising it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What quality setting are you using? About 10 MB is exactly what I would expect for a jpeg export at around 85 quality from a Z7. Between 10 and 20 MB is typically what I get from my Z7 files when exported at full res at high (i.e. 85%) quality. If you mean that Photoshop shows 10 MB in the document size indicator than you probably only have smart previews indeed. It should show 130 MB there for Z7 files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines