• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Opened project in updated version, now timeline reveals picture and audio that do match original cut

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2018 Oct 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am new to Premiere Pro, but was asked to help out with a short film project. It was completed.

Just needed to output AAF files to the sound editor and a quicktime reference.  At that time,

I opened the project as a rebuild in a trial version of Premiere.  It was just to export the sound

files.

Three months later, a colorist opened the project to round trip via DaVinci Resolve.  When the project opened,

the timeline revealed picture edits that did not match the original cut, nor did the picture match

the audio.  Every attempt to rectify this has failed.  Not one YouTube video I've watched has solved this.

Have no idea what the problem is, especially not being familiar with Premiere Pro to begin with.

All the previous versions of the project do the same thing.  I don't understand how the picture cuts

are off from the original and in some cases, picture disappears, but the audio remains.

Very confusing.  I'm now looking for suggestions to resolving this. 

I am on iMac, OS version Sierra.  I have tried going back and forth between Premiere 2018 and 2019.

Not sure what the original version was.  Student film at a local college.  No one there seems to know

Premiere Pro either. 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for replying. What you’ve pointed out is helpful.

I’m not sure how the project was originally set up. It was a student film.

When the term was over, they hadn’t completely finished the film. So the

instructor asked me to help make a couple of cuts and output OMFs for

the sound editor. That all worked.

The problem arose with the conform. For some reason the online editor/colorist

couldn’t access a timeline that made sense. On my end, I used Keka (7-Zip for Windows)

to recove

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 16, 2018 Nov 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

kakatore,

Sorry for this. This typically happens when you have a camera that generates files to a CF card. The editor must copy the entire contents of the CF card to the computer's media drive, including ancillary folders. Then, the editor must import these clips via Media Browser, not File > Import. If an editor deviates from this workflow, issues like this happen when a reconnection to original media files is made. You see, there can be multiple clips that have the same clip name - so if the metadata is missing, Premiere won't know which of the identically named clips to reconnect to.

Could this possibly be what happened to you?

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Kevin,

Thank you for replying. What you’ve pointed out is helpful.

I’m not sure how the project was originally set up. It was a student film.

When the term was over, they hadn’t completely finished the film. So the

instructor asked me to help make a couple of cuts and output OMFs for

the sound editor. That all worked.

The problem arose with the conform. For some reason the online editor/colorist

couldn’t access a timeline that made sense. On my end, I used Keka (7-Zip for Windows)

to recover the cut via older version of Premiere Pro. Then I realized I would have

to output a proper EDL for DaVinci Resolve. (Being new to Premiere Pro, I forgot

about that step.). Then I did my own round trip between Premiere Pro and DaVinci.

That worked. But again, it didn’t work on the online editor’s system using the same

hard drive. Neither of us understood why.

In the end, he used ‘Screen Cut Detection’ on DaVinci and that worked.

We figure that because the folder structure and naming conventions on the hard drive,

set up by the students, was somewhat of a mess, the timeline couldn’t find the original

metadata.

At least they can finish now.

Thanks again for your response. It will be helpful for the next show.

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dang Roger, that's quite a tale! I'm glad your workaround got you to the finish line.

Regards,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines