Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Dear Adobe / Kyle. Please consider!...

Community Beginner ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I love Kyle T Webster's brushes - i've bought almost all of them over the years. Now that Kyle is working for Adobe and is part of the adobe family...is it really necessary for each brush to be called "Kyle's..." "Kyle's..." "Kyle's..."? within CC?

I would love to organise my brushes better (They all crashed and I had to re download all of them the other day, but thats a different matter) but is the only option for me to go through and re-name all hundreds and hundreds of brushes so i can tell at a glance what it is? Just reading 'Kyle's..." is not helpful, the brush-stroke display is not particularly helpful to me either, what i'd like is a short name, like the "Kyle's inkbox - Kalvin" brush to just be called "Ink-Kalvin" or similar, so that it fits here?

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 22.33.55.png

Am I being thick? i LOVE these brushes and i realise that when Kyle was a freelancer it was important for him to brand these as his and his alone, but I just want to easily read the brush descriptions?

Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 22.40.10.png

I tried here to click other options to display them and its er...kind of worse.

Does anybody have any suggestions for how to clearly and concisely see all these hundreds of brushes without resorting to painstakingly renaming each one? (Which I did, and then they all crashed and i had to reload them again)

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

It's quite easy to rename them at once by scripting. You simply remove 'Kyle's Inkbox ' from each name running the script in up to few secs for thousand presets I guess. When you're decided for such move, move your topic to Photoshop Scripting

There're some examplary codes that alert you of clicked Brush Preset name, but may be modified or completely rewritten to loop over all presets and simply rename common part to empty space: Getting the name of the current brush preset

Edit1: I checked my 1st

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's quite easy to rename them at once by scripting. You simply remove 'Kyle's Inkbox ' from each name running the script in up to few secs for thousand presets I guess. When you're decided for such move, move your topic to Photoshop Scripting

There're some examplary codes that alert you of clicked Brush Preset name, but may be modified or completely rewritten to loop over all presets and simply rename common part to empty space: Getting the name of the current brush preset

Edit1: I checked my 1st script and it works wrongly in CC2018, not like used in earlier versions. But 2nd one with no change.

Edit2: what a shame, I just found my other script that detects renamed Brush Presets and it works bad in newst CC2018

Okey, this is FINAL EDIT / here's your script:

function sTT(v) {return stringIDToTypeID(v)}

(ref = new ActionReference()).putEnumerated(sTT('application'), sTT('ordinal'), sTT('target'))

lst = executeActionGet(ref).getList(sTT('presetManager')).getObjectValue(0).getList(sTT('name'))

for (i = 0; i < lst.count; i++) {

if ((reg = /Kyle's Inkbox - /).test(nme = lst.getString(i))) {

(ref1 = new ActionReference()).putName(sTT('brush'), nme);

(dsc1 = new ActionDescriptor()).putReference(sTT('null'), ref1)

dsc1.putString(sTT('to'), 'Ink-' + nme.replace(reg, ''))

executeAction(sTT('rename'), dsc1, DialogModes.NO)

}

}

Copy it, open Notepad, save as "Inks.jsx" (note you have to replace *.txt in Fiie's name field to that exact name, including double quotes!) Put this script at end of: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Presets\Scripts (it may be little different for you). Reopen Photoshop (if launched). Finally you should find your script in File / Scripts. ​After you click Inks, and open Brushes Panel, you will see changed names.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow! I'll try this out later and let you know how it works out - Thank you so much! Unexpected kindness on the web...who knew?

For reference on this - I'm on a macbook pro OS Sieraa, running Adobe CC (19.1.1 Photoshop) With Kyle's megapack, art markers, etc etc all downloaded from the official adobe website.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me know if it doesn't work though I tested it, or you want it to be somehow modified. Btw I forgot in last post to attach link to other script that detects renamed Brush Prestes (however it works in earlier Ps versions): Brush Rename Event

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 07, 2019 Feb 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This script worked for me with Photoshop CC 2019.  Mac users need to place it into "/Applications/Adobe Photoshop CC 2019/Presets/Scripts".  In my case, I named the script "Batch Rename Brushes - Must Edit Script First.jsx".

Tip: You can edit this file in a Terminal (e.g. to change the script to rename the next batch of brushes) and then re-run it via Photoshop's "File > Scripts" menu (menu entry is called "Batch Rename Brushes - Must Edit Script First" in my case).  You don't need to restart Photoshop for subsequent changes to the script once the script has already shown up in the Scripts menu.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kukurykus 

Hey, thanks for sharing the script.  Your post is racking up points as fast as I can refresh the thread!

I really like the new brush management system from a couple of updates back, but I was hoping it was a work in progress.  The right click menu is crying out for a search facility, because with so many brushes coming with the KW sets, it becomes a mission to find what you are after.  You can organise by dragging favourites into new brush groups, but that requires a ton of work up front.

The Photoshop search tool was a great addition, but it would be soooooo much better if it had a brush tab.  Pete.Green please pass this request on top the Development Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Trevor -- Done.

We do have this a feature request logged internally already, have added your +1 to the story.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE fix this awful naming issue. I'm astonished at how idiotic and frustrating this is and expecting people to hack it using scripts is not a viable solution for most people.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2020 Apr 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I got noticification of another like now, so it's 5 in sum. If you ever saw 8, that means 4 people disliked it the meantime, or 4th quarter year forum transition uliked mine and probably many other users posts 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not exactly the solution you are seeking but it may help a little.  You can change your UI Font Size to Tiny so you can see more of the brush names.  Go to preferences > Interface > Presentation> UI Font Size > Select Tiny.  You will need to restart photoshop.screenshot-of-kyle-brush-names.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines