• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

doing a compare files I get a Expected a name object.

New Here ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Acrobat Pro DC and trying to compare two documents.  When I launch the tool I get the following error

Expected a name object.

HELP

TOPICS
General troubleshooting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 30, 2018 May 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is usually a symptom of a corrupt PDF file. You can try to do a Save As with both of the files you are trying to compare. Sometimes this triggers the same error, if that’s the case, you are definitely dealing with a corrupt file (and then you also know which one it is).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 10, 2018 Oct 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting the same error message. I read the PDFs into Acrobat and saved them as new files, and then I compared the new files. I get the same error. The ability to compare two files is the reason I signed up for an Acrobat subscription!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi oeralp,

Sorry for the delay in response. 

As mentioned, you are receiving expected a name object error when trying to compare files in Acrobat, could you let us know dot version of Acrobat and the operating system installed on the machine? You may refer to the steps given in this link on how to check the version in Acrobat: Identify the product and its version for Acrobat and Reader DC

As Karl mentioned above, this could be because of a corrupt PDF file. Could you try comparing other pdf files and check if getting the same error message.

Let us know how it goes.

Shivam

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines