Exit

Premiere Pro (v13.01) alpha channel issues

Community Beginner ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alpha Channel Avid DNxL 185x.jpg

Hi

I know there were discussions about this with regards to Pro Res that was dressed in this update but I does not seem to have fixed this one.

This is frame grab is from Premiere Pro cc 2019 (v13.01) .  The Graphic is from After Effects in an Avid DNxHD 185x codec with uncompressed alpha.

It worked fine in Premiere Pro cc 2018 just fine.

I can't export this correctly, and I can't reinstall 2018.

J

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try an Animation codec or maybe an Apple ProRes 4444, both with alpha channel activated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry I am new to this form and don't have a signature set up.

I am on PC and Adobe has dropped support for all the native quick time codecs.

What I have tried so far:  Tiff, Targa, png., Avid DNxHD, Which is what the original file was in and all with differed degrees of the same problem.  The green is not supposed to be there.

It seems as if there is an offset in the alpha channel that was not there in PP 2018.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you have Quicktime installed on your Windows, you should have the Animation codec at least.

Dropped Codecs QuikTime 7.png

Also try to change the Mercury Playback Engine acceleration in Project Settings, choose one by one and go doing the necessary tests. If possible, do not choose Software Only.

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 11.22.01.png

If none of the above serves you and Software Only does, it means that the problem is your GPU and in that case you must update the drivers for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem -- DNXHD/DNXHR with alpha has a weird green look around the edges.

The main issue is pre-existing graphic files in existing projects. I'm also on PC, so ProRes is not an option in my case (and neither really is Animation, which is a very inefficient codec). There are some options such as Cineform, but I haven't tried those yet because it's still a matter of getting existing projects to work properly.

I did notice that turning on Software only mode fixes the issue, but my driver is already the latest for the GTX 1080 Ti I'm using.

I did try rolling back a version, but the problem still persists.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried everything I can think of and the only cause I can think of is there is a gamma shift on the fill that is not being applied to the key.

“Software only” does make things a little better in the view port but still same issue on the render and is not usable with DNxL or .tga

The Animation codec is not available as an export option from AE.

On the Cinema 4D files that have Green colour to be keyed out show the issue in the key.  The Files that were rendered with a black background in Cinema 4D look OK but I suspect the weird gamma shift is still there but we just not seeing it.

.png files with software only is OK in the view port but does not render out correctly.

Unfortunately this has gone to the client like this for approval.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alpha Channel Avid DNxL 185x black fill.jpg

I rendered this one out of AE with black fill instead of green fill with Avid DNxHD 185x.  Its still not 100% and there are still white artefacts in the key but is acceptable for preview.  I normally use green as it is a good colour to see if the key is correct.

I will consider not using Premiere Pro cc 2019 till it’s ready for use again.  Avid still seems like a more reliable choice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i have the same issue with .mov files with PNG Codec (with alpha). It messes up on every restart of PP (13.0.1.) I have to re-import the footage.

Using iMac Pro with Radeon Pro Vega 56 8176 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can only hope they fix it soon.

With adobe it is impossible to go backwards.  No installing and using older "working" versions.  Its just that there are virtually no maintenance only updates that just fix stuff without breaking other stuff.

There seems to be a big focus on colour tools but not so much on colour management.  I can't rely on what is imported being the correct levels as the input level is way different than the output and what is being displayed and this keying issue shows how far off it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Impossible to go backwards? With CC you can install previous versions. I reinstalled 2018 and use it alongside 2019 until this gets fixed. That's why I keep previous versions of projects and just rename the upgraded version to 2019 or whatever the year is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

What I mean by that is that the project file versions are tied to the application versions and there is no way to convert back to an older version's like other applications.  So yes it is possible to install the older version but not possible to use current versions of the edits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines