• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Should I use Lightroom to Catalog Videos?

Engaged ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Videos are not my prime visual format, usually shooting a few short videos at family occasions. Thank goodness, because Lightroom really struggles to import videos. I am thinking perhaps to just catalog still shots with Lightroom. But one primary reason for utilizing Lightroom is its database management feature. I copied my videos to the correct folder and then sync'd the folder with Lightroom. But that requires more "intervention." I just want to basically tell Lightroom to import and sit back and wait. But videos take so long. Do you have any suggestions? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Should I use Lightroom to Catalog Videos?"

I do, for what that's worth. Are the videos especially big files?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Less than 2 min.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I meant file size, and by comparison with other files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

544 MB

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, that would take some time to import from a card, but not a ridiculous time. Exactly what did you mean by "really struggles"?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would expect to see the import slider in the top left to display some progress in the copying of the file, but nothing happens. I know it is like sitting at a stop sign. Time seems to stand still. So for now, I am intervening, filtering out videos during import and then manually copying the videos to the target folder and having Lightroom synchronize.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Then it sounds like it's about the speed transferring off the card. Is it significantly faster when you copy with Finder/Explorer to the hard drive? What options are you setting in Import - eg the second backup copy. How do you know it is the videos which are slowing things down?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK there has been a problem with LR and videos especially when the videos are in the same folder as still images.

I don't shoot videos at all so I have no first hand personal experience with them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often have videos and photos in the same folder and have never noticed a problem. One possible issue might be where they have the same name, so LR might treat them as a sidecar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines