• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

copy paste and/or sync does not work consistently with many files.

Explorer ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Basically copy/paste (or sync) over large numbers of images works, well, inconstantly - at best. I am running desktop Lightroom Classic cc v 8.0

The entire issue is well described many places on the internet including here.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/applying-auto-tone-to-a-batch-of-photos-loses...

Basically, I can copy/paste (or auto sync) over 10-20 images - no issue. More than that, forget it, it just does not work.

It seems the sync only works if I can actually see the image in the single or thumbnails view.

I have...

-restarted Lightroom and the mac (High Sierra)

-trashed the prefs

-Synced and let it sit for days

-rebuilt the thumbnails.

I cannot do the copy paste 10 images at a time, as I have a folder with 10,000+ images I need to process.

I have been using Lightroom since inception and this "procedure" used to work perfectly before.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Explorer , Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

So. I spent about 90-minutes on the phone with tech help at Adobe. And I feel like I may have connected with one of the few tech people that actually know what they are talking about.

She seems to have solved the issue and it's something that I would have NEVER tried.

So, maybe this will help others with similar unresolved issues.

Here's what 100% fixed it:

1. Go to Lightroom>preferences

2. Click on the performance tab

3. UNCLICK "Use Graphics Processor".

She explained why this could work, but I think

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you try the workaround listed in that bug report?  After copy/paste, sync, or applying the preset to the batch of photos, select them and do Library > Previews > Build Standard-Sized previews, and then wait for the progress bar to show the building of previews has completed.  Many people use that workaround, and I haven't seen previous reports of it not working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I should have indicated that I did build full size 1:1 previews and waited for the progress bar to finish. It did not work.

Do you think standard previews would make any difference? Let me try and I'll report back shortly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you think standard previews would make any difference? Let me try and I'll report back shortly.

I'd be very surprised if it makes a difference. When LR builds a preview of any size, it re-renders the photo from scratch, which is what works around the bug (at least for others).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope didn't work.

I should add: That it's not just the how the images "looks" on the screen. If part of the setting that I am copy/pasting (or syncing) indicates that the exposure is, let's say 0.15. a few hundred of the images will correctly show their exposure at 0.15 (and look correct )- the remaining balance are untouched in terms of the actually numerical setting and the preview look.

If I copy/paste (sync) one (or 20) image(s) at a time it works perfectly.

I'm trying to affect thousands of images, so 20 at a time is a non-starter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So. I spent about 90-minutes on the phone with tech help at Adobe. And I feel like I may have connected with one of the few tech people that actually know what they are talking about.

She seems to have solved the issue and it's something that I would have NEVER tried.

So, maybe this will help others with similar unresolved issues.

Here's what 100% fixed it:

1. Go to Lightroom>preferences

2. Click on the performance tab

She explained why this could work, but I think I blacked out halfway through the explanation.

Anyway. It worked.

fixed.jpeg

She also suggested I reduce my cache form the 200GB it was at to the 10GB it is at now. That did not work. Just thought I'd mention that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know if this continues to solve your problem. It's pretty strange -- the option controls how LR displays images on the screen, and unchecking it often fixes display problems. But it's hard to see how it would control whether copy/paste successfully changes a Develop slider setting.  But bugs can have strange consequences...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quote "Let us know if this continues to solve your problem. It's pretty strange -- the option controls how LR displays images on the screen, and unchecking it often fixes display problems. But it's hard to see how it would control whether copy/paste successfully changes a Develop slider setting.  But bugs can have strange consequences"...

The Graphics Processor only offers any help if you are utilising a 4K monitor or higher. No need to have it selected otherwise.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

She also suggested I reduce my cache form the 200GB it was at to the 10GB it is at now.

Independent of your current problem, reducing the cache size to 10 GB is a good thing -- 200 GB was just wasting space. In early versions of LR, huge caches could help, but that changed a long time ago, and 10 GB is sufficient: https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-performance-debunking-myths/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Yes. It seems to have fixed it. The way she explained it was some sort of conflict bug. As you said: strange consequences...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines