• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Best hardware setup for editing on Premiere Pro and other CC apps

Explorer ,
Sep 18, 2017 Sep 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm about to build a new PC and wanted some input from the community about SSD allocation that will optimize editing workflow on CC apps. my motherboard will only have 1 slot for an M.2 drive. I plan on having one M.2 and two SATA SSDs. the M.2 being the fastest, which should I use that for, the startup drive in which all my CC apps are run on, or should the M.2 be used to hold the video files I am currently editing?

So the configuration will either be

M.2 - startup

SSD #1 - editing files

SSD #2 - cache files

-or-

M.2 - editing files

SSD #1 - startup

SSD #2 - cache files

[Moderator note: moved to applicable forum]

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How large are the two SSD's?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M.2 is very fast memory. I don't mind the startup sequence of my computer that much (always a good chance to grab a cup before starting up), so my OS and apps are on an SSD drive. As are my media files on a separate SSD as well.

Rather, I have set up my temp disc as the m.2 drive.

I have this system since early this year and the experience has been nothing short of awesome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

oh wow, so cache files are better off with the M.2? Interesting. I'm not questioning you, I'm just trying to understand. Do you know why you benefit more from cache files having the faster read/write than the media files? Did you do any comparisons?

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do not waste a good M.2 super speed SSD on the OS/Applications once you have started Windows and Premiere they basically run out of memory.  Where you can best use the speed is your Project/Media files.  If you want to see good hardware performance scores go to my Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) web site.

What are the typical timeline complexities, how many video tracks, what is the media, how long are timelines, what effects?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up. Well that is a sure fire no go to the OS/apps. Multiple people have told me to not waste an M.2 on that. But now the competition is between cache files and media files. Just waiting to hear some statistics or more feedback on the two and then I can make a sound decision.

Thanks for the input!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workload is about to become a lot more intense for the computer. I'm about to switch over to the new Canon C200 using anything from the H.264 to their C log3 4K footage. I also do motion graphics in AE.

But here is a question. Since only 15 minutes of 4K C-Log3 footage takes up 150GB, I COULD see a project that comes close to 1 TB easily. With this in mind I planned on purchasing a 1TB M.2 drive (if media files need the faster drive that is). So would it be wrong to just have my media files and startup on both the M.2? Or is it best to keep all three separated (media files, startup, and cached files)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know of any Canon C200 C log3 4K footage?.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 19, 2017 Sep 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would strongly advise you to keep OS/apps, media and cache on separate drives.

I don't have benchmark data, but I did watch the videos from Puget Systems - YouTube extensively before deciding to dedicate m.2 to my cache files.

At some point, however, it's no longer the disc speed that's holding you back, but either or all of your CPU, GPU and/or RAM. All work in close relationship with one another and PPro relies more on GPU than AE. I have decided to go for 128GB of fast RAM, as I figured that 64GB would be tight at some point in the future. I know for a fact that AE *loves* RAM.

I am about to test C200 footage as well (will rent the camera some day soon), but what I do know is that the more heavily compressed the 4K footage is (e.g. from a DJI Phantom 4 Pro), the more it takes from your system to run smoothly. Sometimes you need to wait a while before it runs smoothly, force PPro to render out the yellow lines or work with proxies instead.

Good luck and let us know how you fare. Hope this helps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 20, 2017 Sep 20, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I work with a lot of compressed 4k footage and it all plays back without issue on my system in full res with LUTs attached without rendering. The requirement is that you must have the components that allow for smooth playback. I have an i7-5820k cpu, GTX970 GPU, 32 gigs RAM and my media is playing back from a Thunderbolt 2 raid at an average read speed of around 475 MB/s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 06, 2017 Dec 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the system is built and works like a dream. The best answer I found was from Puget Systems. They are amazing! If anyone has any questions about how their rig should be set up to run almost any content creation software, then they will tell you. They are constantly building rigs and running tests to see what configs and components are optimal for that program's use. In my case I looked up Adobe Ae and Adobe Pr. The info they provided saved me close to $1000 that I would have wasted on components I "thought" I needed.

So to answer my original question, the BEST config for editing on Pr and Ae (as far as hard drives are concerned) is:

-SATA SSD for startup and apps

-M.2 SSD for media files

-SATA SSD for cache and scratch files

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're the midst of debating some upgrades. What capacity of each drive did you end up getting?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unless you have extenuating circumstances 256 GB is fine for the SATA III SSD's

For the media and project files on the M.2 PCIe x4 drive it depends on the size of your projects but bigger is better to allow go bigger projects in the future or multiple projects at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Bill.

We also have need to access projects that we've worked on in the past (six month - two years). We currently each have a 4TB external hard drive (not SSD) that we keep all our original video files on. Would you recommend copying the files needed for any given project we're currently working on to an SSD, and then back (as needed) to an external or network drive when the project is finished?

Everyone's insights and experience are much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jacksneogen  wrote

Would you recommend copying the files needed for any given project we're currently working on to an SSD, and then back (as needed) to an external or network drive when the project is finished?

Yes. I only keep project files and media for current work on my internal media drive and archive them to externals when not working on them to minimize use of resources.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 11, 2018 Jan 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I'm now working with the Canon C200 and can potentially be editing footage that is 256GB for 30 minutes of footage, I opted to use a larger media drive. So I opted for the 1TB M.2 SSD as my media

I went with a 256GB SATA SSD for my startup and apps.

For my cache SSD I just used a small 128GB SATA SSD.

If you're editing 1080 footage though, you can easily get by with a 256GB M.2 for your media drive. I am always keeping it clean though. As Soon as I am done a project, I throw that project file and media into long term storage on a 8TB 7200RPM G-technology HDD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2018 Apr 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for sharing your experience @TheHarborCreative, I'm looking at arranging a similar setup ...  Only questions are which disk to output your renders to and if a fourth disk, even if it were an HDD, be useful?  Write speeds of render must be fairly slow, right?  Also, where would previews be best stored?  Thanks for the advice!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes,

output to HDD would be the same speed as any other faster disc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines