Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Premiere pro - Canon 5d footage much darker, black line at the bottom

New Here ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been editing a documentary on Premiere Pro for the last two years. Since about a year, I have had an issue with all the footage that was shot on Canon 5d (about half of the film). It now appears much darker, more saturated with the blacks completely crushed, and there is a black line at the bottom. This is not on the footage, it only appears in Premiere Pro. Anyone else had the same issue? I contacted customer support 4 times and they didn't help, they told me 'it will be fixed next year'.

Can anyone help please? I need to output the film to grade this week. I tried exporting a Prores and exporting an XML for Resolve but the colours shows all wrong in both cases.

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Mentor , Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

actually there's many problems going on at the same time. Let's break it down.

1.first off, to fix the line issue, switch off Hardware acceleration,use 'software' instead (in Preferences > Media), restart Premier and the lines are gone.

2. davinci uses video or full range levels to decide what the pixels look like. is mac display enabled in davinci? is video levels?

3. in premiere, is there a master lut applied? is color management enabled? are you using a P3 monitor from a mac? premiere uses bt188

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused.

With an XML, Resolve ends up reading the original footage as is.  The XML is just an instruction set on which parts of which clips to use.  No effects or other changes to the video are included.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I know. I'm very confused too.

I'm 100% sure that the problem only came up last year though as I checked ungraded exports of the same film from before and  the footage was perfectly fine!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do those clips look like in Resolve if you just start fresh, no XML?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks really crushed too, but no line at the bottom! It doesn't look anything like the footage. I checked, there is no LUT on the project.

I just imported the footage in AEP and it looks fine there...

See screenshots below

Original footage:

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 16.37.13.png

PREMIERE

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 16.36.34.png

AEP

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 16.35.34.png

DAVINCI

Screen Shot 2018-11-22 at 16.35.53.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

actually there's many problems going on at the same time. Let's break it down.

1.first off, to fix the line issue, switch off Hardware acceleration,use 'software' instead (in Preferences > Media), restart Premier and the lines are gone.

2. davinci uses video or full range levels to decide what the pixels look like. is mac display enabled in davinci? is video levels?

3. in premiere, is there a master lut applied? is color management enabled? are you using a P3 monitor from a mac? premiere uses bt1886 as a display transform inside premiere but exports srgb 2.2 on export so you'd need a lut from bt1886 to srgb for web output or to match VLC(video output set to opengl) as quicktime doesn't use correct color management.

4. is color management enabled in AE?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! That worked! Not only the line is gone, but the colour is back to normal. Thank you so much!

I tried literally every setting but that one. Can't believe Premiere help couldn't tell me how to fix it.

How do you disable mac display in davinci? I used to be able to disable it in the colour management settings before but the setting isn't there anymore.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in resolve,

Preferences > System > Hardware Configuration > Use Mac Display Colour Profiles for Viewers

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 07, 2022 Apr 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I use this? Where is the hardware configuration, I mean which setting do u use? I have this issue exactly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 13, 2019 Feb 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for this thread. Had to open an old project to make a change and re-export and the 5D footage looked crushed like you described. Turning off hardware acceleration fixed it.

Sadly I had a project months ago and I didn't figure that out for and had to do a bunch of color correction to and it just looked bad. It was footage from a new shooter and I thought he just underexposed or shot with the wrong profile or something.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 08, 2022 Apr 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Helia23952716p5t3,

Check out: Preferences > General > Display Color Management

Thanks,
Kevin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines