• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Am I missing something obvious? Consolidate selected clips to project folder.

Advisor ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have many external drives of archive that we dip into. Also use Google Drive for SFX/Music etc.

Easiest way to browse & find sections to use is to import into PP and use source window, even preview it cut in directly from the drives onto the timeline.

I'd like an elegant solution to copy the media used (with an option to consolidate with handles) to the local Raid, in our regular folder structure.

Currently I mostly 'reveal in finder' and copy and then 'make offline' and 'link media' - but not ideal.

I can use Project management, but it will try and copy all media for the selected timeline - and doesn't obey folder structure, so requires management after the fact.

Ideally it would be a right click on selected clip(s), in the project window or the timeline, and would be a 'copy/transcode/consolidate' option - maybe with an option to ignore files already on that drive/in that parent folder.

Thanks for any pointers

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You could make a local copy when you import the files using the ingest settings in the Media browser.ingest settings.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Richard+M+Knight  wrote

You could make a local copy when you import the files using the ingest settings in the Media browser.

Yep, I could... but that would require copying reams of clips that don't make the final edit. Thanks for the thought though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My advice has always been to do your file management in a proper file manager, like Windows Explorer or Finder, before you import into Premiere Pro.

It's a pretty foolproof workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim_Simon  wrote

My advice has always been to do your file management in a proper file manager, like Windows Explorer or Finder, before you import into Premiere Pro.

It's a pretty foolproof workflow.

But it has the potential to create a lot of clips I don't need. I use PPro to preview against the edit because that is the tool for the job. The external drives are fast enough to work this way, but I don't want to leave them all attached the whole time plus I want a solid backup / archive source for the media for the project.

Think 'render & replace' becoming 'consolidate & replace' / 'transcode & replace'.

I don't think it's too much to ask for an NLE. (Indeed I can do it with Project Management - but it requires a bit too much intervention for my liking).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2018 Nov 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I do recommend editing from an internal, using externals only for backups and archiving.

This makes deleting unused clips (using Explorer or Finder) a non-issue, as they're also living on the external.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines