Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Cannot open old catalog

Explorer ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have 4 different LR-catalogs.
I recently bought a new laptop (dell precision workstation) with Windows 10 pro. I have the latest version of LR classic CC.

I can open my two most recent catalogs, BUT I cannot open my two oldest catalogs . I tried many things, and even tried to open 2 different versions of the catalogs (I always keep backups from different moments).

When I try to open one of the two oldest catalogs, I get a popup that says that LR the catalog can't open because it is protected against writing en cannot be opened.
This is strange because I checked that there is no 'lock-file', and my permissions are normally also ok.

Does anyone knows the solution?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Kris+Thijs  wrote

When I try to open one of the two oldest catalogs, I get a popup that says that LR the catalog can't open because it is protected against writing en cannot be opened.

The folder that contains this catalog does not have WRITE permission. In your operating system, change the folder to WRITE permission, or put the catalog somewhere else that does have write permission.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your comment, but the folder has write permission. Therefore it should be another problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please quote the exact complete word-for-word verbatim error message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will try to translate:

LR cannot use the catalogue "LR5_cat_2007_2014-2" because it is protected to writing en cannot be opened.

This can be caused by unjust permissions or because the catalogue is used by another LR-application. You can try to solve the problem or you can select another catalogue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Show us a screen capture of the permissions of the folder where the catalog file is stored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

translations:

'schrijven' means 'writing'

'toestaan' means 'permission'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, I have two suggestions, but these are mostly guesses at this point.

1. Windows can Write-Protect files, prohibiting users from making any changes. This is separate from the permissions. If you right-click on the catalog file itself and select Properties, there is a Read-Only box near the bottom. This should be unchecked.
  2. Are the permissions for Kris Thijs the same as the permissions for ledereen?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I already did suggestion 1.

The permissions for Kris Thijs are the samen as for iedereen ('iedereen' means 'everybody').

Maybe its useful that I mention that I already tried a lot of thing.
In former attempts I got the message that the catalog had to upgraded (higher version of LR). When I answerd 'Do it', I got the message that the catalogue may be damaged.
Therefore I took another (older) version of the catalogue, and now I get the message I wrote here above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Translations:

Kenmerken --> properties

Alleen-lezen --> read only

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The catalog .lrcat file itself may have been set to 'read only' vs these permission checks for the folders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In your posts it still sounds like you are checking the security settings and not the attributes like dj_paige and I have asked you to check:

Check to see if the box circled in red is unchecked for your LRCAT file

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All the names of groups or users have the same permissions.
Translations:

'Schrijven' --> writing

'Toestaan' --> permission

the last permission isn't checked. Nor as 'permission' nor as 'deny'.

Ik tried to check this to, but I could'nt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed that in the file path that it says "OneDrive".

If this folder is being synced to OneDrive that may be causing the file locking problem?

Copy the catalog file to a new folder that is not being synced to One Drive and try again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That solution I also already tried, but it didn't worked. Nevertheless I I will try it again.
It will be for tomorrow, because I have to the a celebration now.
Already thanks very much for your assistance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And System?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, those permissions you are showing, was that for just the catalog, or for the folder the catalog is in? Need to check the folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And, perhaps I missed this one by another member. And I ask this separately on purpose.

In the folder your catalog is in, does a file exist with the extension lrcat.lock ?? LR is supposed to delete that file upon exit, if LR crashed it would not, that file prevents you from running two instances of the catalog at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried all the solutions above, but without result.

Thanks everybody to trie to help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A different approach. Bit of a kludge, but give this an attempt.

On you hard drive create a folder. Separate from any other folder. Perhaps call it Photography (just making up a name, but do not use Pictures, or My Pictures, windows wants those for itself)

Now, go and Copy (copy, not cut, not move) your lightroom catalog (the .lrcat file), and the various sub-folders you will find in the folder that catalog is currently in, (the previews folders are optional) Copy them to the new folder PHOTOGARPHY. Your goal is to copy the catalog and any images and/or sub-folders with images to the new folder.

Yes, you will be eating up space. Yes a duplicate. No, not via LR Backup.

When that is all done, from within the PHOTOGRAPHY folder double click on that catalog (the .lrcat file). See what happens.

If this works, the catalog opens, lightroom starts (sort of), look over on the left side of your screen, the Folders panel, deal with the missing folder (i.e. right click on the parent folder, and select to update folder location), update that to look in PHOTOGRAPHY.

Now, all that being said, you still might have to fix some folder and/or file security settings (not the attributes, the permissions), and if so, do that as local administrator of your computer, when you get to the security tab of the properties, click on the advanced tab/button, and addition to making sure your account, the administrators group, and the System group have full rights, make sure your account is owner. check folder, subfolders, and at least the catalog file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let me attemp

t to clear up a bit of perhaps confusion on privileges. Remeber we are not talking about attributes, but privileges.

For context, following is a screen shot of a folder I keep working catalog in (yes, I am a militant multi catalog type, but not the point)

Now opening that first file folder:

You see mu=y catalog, at the bottom, at the top is a folder containing my actual images (no, I no longer use that particular syntax), the other two are previews,etc (some people delete those to save space on archival copies, LR will re-create them)

oh, and one older catalog (prior to an upgrade)

You need to check privileges for the parent folder all these are in, for the lrcat file, and for the three (or at least first) sub-folder.

And for the parent (back a step). Click on Advanced

and more/better info appears:

At the top, you need to have your account be the owner.

The groups System and Administrator need full access, your account needs full access, The Users group, not so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm going to try tomorrow (today I have no time)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I tried the last suggestion, but it didn't work.

Thanks for the help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines