• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Synced catalog and image folders not recognized

Community Beginner ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I synced (Chronosync) catalog and image folders to an external drive to use on second computer.

Catalog and image folders are in the same file structure as on original (Drobo) drive attached to iMac.

Installed LR on Mac mini, attached drive (USB 3.0). Drive is accessible in Finder, and files can be moved, copied, etc.

Opened LR and loaded the catalog: thumbs appear, with metadata, but files aren't found.

The folder with the file on the external drive appears in the Folders window at left in LR.

When I "locate" one of the files it's loaded into catalog, but nearby files (the other 37,000) aren't found.

I'm running Mojave 10.14.1; LR "Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC, release 8.0"

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Am I correct in assuming, from what you said, that the change of disk name is enough to cause the problem? - Yes the change of disk name will cause a problem. Lightroom has written the original name of the drive in the database and won't recognize a different name unless you update the association.

If so, should I just connect LR on both computers to the 9. 4TB disk, and use the Droboworking as a backup of all images and catalogs? Then I just move the 4TB drive back and forth. - Yes. This will wo

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please upload a screen shot of the full window of the Library module with folder panel expanded.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the external drive have the same name on the Mac Mini as it did on whatever other Mac you had it attached to.

OS X references drives by Name, LR on OS X uses the drive names as a reference to where the images are stored on the iMac.

So no matter what system you used, Basic Copy and Paste, some drive sync program (Even one specifically made to Clone Mac drives from one to another) if the drive Name on the drive you connect to the other Mac isn't the same as what the LR Catalog file is looking for all your images will show as Missing (Even though all  the images are on that drive).

You have 2 options.

1) Rename that external connected to the mini to the same name as the drive used on the iMac.

2) Use the File Missing files feature to Re-Reference the images to the new drive name.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you're right, but would like to lay out what I did to be sure.

My iMac image and catalog files are on a Drobo drive (16 TB on 5 separate drives in a black box).

Droboworking/ALL LR files in folders/1 pics Architecture new

Droboworking/1 LR catalogs/Architecture new

I copied image and LR folders to a 2nd external drive—of a different name: "9. 4TB"—though the file and folder structure was the same.

9. 4TB/ALL LR files in folders/1 pics Architecture new

9. 4TB/1 LR catalogs/Architecture new

Am I correct in assuming, from what you said, that the change of disk name is enough to cause the problem?

If so, should I just connect LR on both computers to the 9. 4TB disk, and use the Droboworking as a backup of all images and catalogs? Then I just move the 4TB drive back and forth.

Please advise, and many thanks for the quick response.

Regards, Brent

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Am I correct in assuming, from what you said, that the change of disk name is enough to cause the problem? - Yes the change of disk name will cause a problem. Lightroom has written the original name of the drive in the database and won't recognize a different name unless you update the association.

If so, should I just connect LR on both computers to the 9. 4TB disk, and use the Droboworking as a backup of all images and catalogs? Then I just move the 4TB drive back and forth. - Yes. This will work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks to cmgap and Just Shoot Me for aiming me in right direction.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines