• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

LR corrupts bottom 25 pixels of DNG files from Samasung Galaxy S8+

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using stock camera app on Galaxy S8+, shooting RAW (in DNG format) + JPG.

When I open the DNG in develop module, I notice the bottom 25 rows of pixels are corrupt/jumbled up with random colours.  This happens on all of my S8+ RAW files when opened in LR.  If I open the same DNG in a different viewer, such as XN View, the image is fine.

Here is a side-by-side comparison in LR. The in-camera JPG on the left, and DNG on the right:

Capture_045.PNG

When the DNG is exported to JPG, the corruption is also there (but the pattern is different):

Capture_047.PNG

And here is the same DNG opened in XN View (a free batch photo processing tool). The whole image is fine, the bottom 25 pixels are normal:

Capture_046.PNG

For now I'm just cropping the bottom 25 pixels off the images to get around the problem, but wanted to mention it here for the developers to look into as it might be a potential bug.  As a point of interest, my Canon RAW files are not affected by this problem.

I'm using Lightroom Classic CC (8.0) with Camera Raw (11.0) - both are the latest versions as of this writing, on a Windows 7 64bit PC.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Adobe has acknowledged this bug: Lightroom/Camera Raw: Artifacts at Edges of Galaxy S7 raw/DNG Files | Photoshop Family Customer Community . Please add details of your issue to the bug report, including the first ten lines from Help > System Info and the exact camera model and app that produced the photo. Be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner, which will make it a little more likely Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a corrupted file, said corruption caused by a hardware malfunction in the transfer from the camera to the computer. The fact that Xnview doesn't see it is because XNView uses the JPG preview embedded in the DNG file, which is usually uncorrupted even when the DNG image itself is corrupted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response dj_paige. To prove/disprove your theory, I opened the same DNG file in yet another editor, RawTherapee, and the file was completely fine (there was no evidence of corruption in either the editor window or exported JPG file).

Capture_048.PNG

Also why would only the DNG files become corrupt during the transfer from device to PC, and all the JPG files be intact (as per your theory)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where are the image files stored?

On a Local drive or on a NAS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All files are on a NAS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PeterZed  wrote

All files are on a NAS.

That is the problem.

Please check the communication between the NAS and PC/LR.

In fact Adobe does not suggest using a NAS. There was a post about this before but with Mac OS X where the File Sharing protocol was AFP. Once SMB was enabled LR could read the full RAW file uncorrupted.

I suggest you get an External Drive to store your images on.

I have all my mages on my Win 7 desktop PC and access them across my network from my iMac without problems. But that Win PC is not a NAS, per say, and OS X has no problems communicating with it. A NAS is running some type of Linux OS an the File sharing protocol might not be set to SMB and or might not be using it as the Main/Only protocol.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://forums.adobe.com/people/Just+Shoot+Me  wrote

PeterZed   wrote

All files are on a NAS.

That is the problem.

Please check the communication between the NAS and PC/LR.

I have thousands of photos on my NAS (Western Digital My Book Live) and never had any issues editing raw files directly on the NAS, this includes raw files from Canon, Sony, Nikon.  To prove it's not an issue with the NAS, I tried doing the test again by taking a new photo on the Galaxy S8+, copying to my PC (not NAS), opening in LR and the problem with corrupt bottom row pixels remains.

Just want reiterate that the problem is only evident in Lightroom, not in XnView or RawTherapee, thus suggesting the issue is not with the DNG file but with LR.  Also as per Johnrellis response, it seems there are many other people also experiencing this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That is a totally wrong assumption. Good you haven't asked about hard drive manufacturer or number of platters

I have the same problem with samsung DNGs only, and I've been storing 14 years of RAW files from many different photo cameras on NAS since the beginning -- zero corruption issues.

Besides, Lightroom does not handle NAS storage, it's operating system's job. Lightroom only issues read/write command which is pushed to OS (and that is the case with every application). File location has nothing to do with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only a thought: please uncheck "use graphics processor" under Preferences> Performance menu in Lightroom and check.

Adobe Lightroom GPU Troubleshooting and FAQ

My System: Intel i7-8700K - 64GB RAM - NVidia Geforce RTX 3060 - Windows 10 Pro 22H2 -- LR-Classic 13.2 - Photoshop 25.6 - Nik Collection 6.9 - PureRAW 4 - Topaz Photo AI 2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Axel Matt - thanks for your suggestion, unfortunately disabling the "use graphics processor" didn't change anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has acknowledged this bug: Lightroom/Camera Raw: Artifacts at Edges of Galaxy S7 raw/DNG Files | Photoshop Family Customer Comm... . Please add details of your issue to the bug report, including the first ten lines from Help > System Info and the exact camera model and app that produced the photo. Be sure to click Me Too and Follow in the upper-right corner, which will make it a little more likely Adobe will prioritize a fix, and you'll be notified when the bug's status changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

johnrellis  wrote

Adobe has acknowledged this bug: Lightroom/Camera Raw: Artifacts at Edges of Galaxy S7 raw/DNG Files | Photoshop Family Customer Comm... . Please add details of your issue to the bug report....

Thanks for finding this and confirming it's a bug! I'll gladly add my details to the support case

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines