• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Why can't I import raw files from my Nikon Z6 in Lightroom Classic?

New Here ,
Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why can't I import raw files from my Nikon Z6 in Lightroom Classic?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Nov 23, 2018 Nov 23, 2018

You can also use the NEWEST version of the Free Adobe DNG converter program to convert the NEF files from the Z6 into DNG files, nothing is lost, and then import the DNGs into LR 8.0.

It is my opinion that Adobe dropped the ball with the release of LR 8 ACR 11 as it does support the Z7 and not the Z6. So they created a newer version of the DNG converter just for this reason.

Windows

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 11.1 (Beta)

Mac

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 11.1 (Beta)

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s a fairly new camera. I should imagine Adobe will support it with the next Camera Raw update in a few weeks time. Sorry I have no specific date. In the meantime use any software that was shipped with the camera to convert NEF to tiff and import the tiff files into LR Classic.

N.B don’t use older Nikon software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converting NEF to DNG would possibly be better than tiff. The files would still be raw and much more efficient as tiff files are usually quite large. The DNG converter is a separate app and you simply choose a folder of NEFs to convert. Then import the DNGs into LR Classic. Download the beta v11.1 using one of the above links and give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The DNG converter version 11.1 is a beta release so I would suggest retaining your original raw files so you can do a additional conversion when the final release of LR / ACR / DNG is available.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can also use the NEWEST version of the Free Adobe DNG converter program to convert the NEF files from the Z6 into DNG files, nothing is lost, and then import the DNGs into LR 8.0.

It is my opinion that Adobe dropped the ball with the release of LR 8 ACR 11 as it does support the Z7 and not the Z6. So they created a newer version of the DNG converter just for this reason.

Windows

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Windows : Adobe DNG Converter 11.1 (Beta)

Mac

Adobe - Adobe Camera Raw and DNG Converter : For Macintosh : Adobe DNG Converter 11.1 (Beta)

Help page on using the DNG converter.

Adobe Digital Negative Converter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks so much.

I agree that Adobe dropped the ball with the Z6!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jeans59219552  wrote

Thanks so much.

Adobe didn't drop the ball with this camera model any more than they dropped the ball with ANY new model. They always must wait for a production model of a new camera to become available, and then they must create support for that model. It's true for camera models from all camera companies. If they would only adopt the DNG format a lot of this waiting for support could be eliminated. It's really the camera companies who are dropping the ball.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

JimHess  wrote

jeans59219552   wrote

Thanks so much.

Adobe didn't drop the ball with this camera model any more than they dropped the ball with ANY new model. They always must wait for a production model of a new camera to become available, and then they must create support for that model. It's true for camera models from all camera companies. If they would only adopt the DNG format a lot of this waiting for support could be eliminated. It's really the camera companies who are dropping the ball.

I believe that statement is incorrect.

Leica uses the DNG format and every time Leica comes out with a new camera new owners have to wait for LR and ACR to support it.

Not sure what other camera makers use DNG as their RAW file format but I suspect LR/ACR has to be updated to support newer cameras.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've tried the DNG 11.1 on both Win10 and Mac OS (11.14).  The program will not recognize the individual Z6 files - it does not allow me to select those files from either the card or when moved to the desktop.  However if I select the folder with the images in it, the conversion works (converts all raw files in the folder) and I can import the images into LR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to confirm: the DNG converter works at the folder level.

Are you selecting the folder in which the Z6 Raw files are stored - not the individual files themselves?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John - yes you're correct, I managed to discover that and subsequently corrected my original post, probably while you were typing your reply... 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So you can now convert Z6 Raw files to DNG format, I take it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad to hear it. Hope you enjoy using the camera.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is driving me crazy!!!   I have followed the procedure that you guys very helpfully provided above to try to get my Z6 NEF files ready to import into LR.

Whenever I click 'Convert' in Adobe DNG Converter I immediately get the message...

2018-11-26_23-06-43.jpg

... and yet there are Z6 NEF in the source folder...

2018-11-26_23-07-16.jpg

Any help much appreciated!   Grrr!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue with using Nikon software to copy the raw files to your computer is addressed in the very first reply in the thread.

Regards, Denis: iMac 27” mid-2015, macOS 11.7.10 Big Sur; 2TB SSD, 24 GB Ram, GPU 2 GB; LrC 12.5, Lr 6.5, PS 24.7,; ACR 15.5,; Camera OM-D E-M1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's because you're probably opening the folder that contains that NEF files. With the DNG converter, you select the FOLDER containing the files, but don't open the folder. Just choose the folder, and it should work fine. Choose the folder that contains the NEF files, and then choose the destination folder for the output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you sure you are using the 11.1 DNG converter and not the 11.0 version?

Did you get a warning when you opened it? If not then you don't have 11.1

I just installed 11.1 and downloaded some Z6 images and ran the DNG converter and pointed it to the Nikon Z folder I have. That folder has both Z6 and Z7 NEF files. ALL were converted.

Import window. Notice the boxes that No Preview available. Those are the NEF'sNikon Z6 Images-Selected.PNG

Once imported

Z6 DNG.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many thanks to all who replied with help for me.

It turns our 'Just Shoot Me' was right.   I wasn't using Version 11.1.  I was using...

2018-11-27_13-10-21.jpg

Now with v11.1.

2018-11-27_13-14-22.jpg

It works perfectly!  Again - many thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2019 Apr 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same problem. Did you figure it out?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is your "same problem"?

Z6 files are supported in Lightroom Classic v8.1 and later.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’m trying to convert my NEF files to DNG using the 11.1 version of the converter, but it’s still not able to identify my NEF files in my Z6 folder from my camera. I try and convert them and it doesn’t find the photos that are there. I have a Dell Xps if that makes a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an older thread that has already been marked as answered and it would be better if you start a new thread with your specific problem.

What version of LR Classic are you using? The latest version is 8.2.1 which provides full support for the Z6. The latest DNG converter is 11.2.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2019 Apr 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So update Lightroom - is the simplest answer.

You will not need the Converter. Or Lightroom can Import and convert to DNG in the Import if you want DNGs.

One 'gotcha' in the DNG Converter is that if you select camera files- the converter will not work. You must select a FOLDER of files.

Regards. My System: Lightroom-Classic 13.2 Photoshop 25.5, ACR 16.2, Lightroom 7.2, Lr-iOS 9.0.1, Bridge 14.0.2, Windows-11.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines