• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting Open Captions to .SRT Files (Premiere Pro 14.9 or earlier)

New Here ,
Nov 18, 2018 Nov 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I'm new to creating my own captions. I created open captions in Premiere Pro and would like to export an .SRT file. However, when I click Export>Captions, the option is greyed out. Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.53.45 PM.png When I Export>Media> Captions, it still won't let me selected >SRT. Screen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.53.23 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-11-18 at 10.53.29 PM.png

How do I export the .SRT files?

TOPICS
Effects and Titles

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

You must select the caption stream you want to export in the project panel. Then you should see the captions option under export. You cannot export an open caption stream from the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2018 Nov 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must select the caption stream you want to export in the project panel. Then you should see the captions option under export. You cannot export an open caption stream from the timeline.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I change the caption stream after I've already made the open captions?

(And how do I do that)? What should the caption stream be?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Open captions to anything else. You can convert almost any other format to open caption. Another option is to export your stream, and converted in some other programs such as subtitle edit.

Edit: On the road and did not edit my voice to text! Should have been: "You cannot change Open Captions to anything else."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I not change the caption stream after I made the open captions? I chose

open captions because they were the only ones that would actually appear in

playback.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2018 Nov 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before answering, I am still not clear why you do not have what you want. You can export your Open Captions as .srt.

Now, re your question, short answer, "no." Longer answer...

Closed Captions do appear in the Program and Source Monitors. But to do so, using the "wrench" icon for each monitor, selection Captions, then "enable," and also under Caption settings, select the particular Closed Caption type (608, 708, teletext, open subtitles) and any other particular required for that type (e.g. line 1, 2 etc).

The bigger problem is that Open Captions, because a big reason for their use in PR is to burn in, have many format options not present in most other captioning formats in PR. Closed captions often have limited colors, opacity options, etc. Little is lost to convert closed to open. A lot might be lost to convert open to closed. It is possible, but would require a feature update.

A workaround is to export the Open Caption stream to an srt, convert in Subtitle Edit or similar to .scc (closed caption), then import that to PR. Depending on your purpose, that may help, or just be a long way to demonstrate that you really do want Open Captions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot change the caption stream:

And I cannot export the open captions to an .srt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2018 Nov 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

sghadden  wrote

I cannot change the caption stream:

Correct. An Open Caption stream in PR cannot be converted to any other stream type.

sghadden  wrote

And I cannot export the open captions to an .srt.

You should be able to. In the Project Panel, locate the Open Caption stream. Left click (once). Now File -> Export -> Captions and select .srt. Does that not work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok! So clicking on the captions ONCE in the project panel ALMOST did the

trick. I am now able to export an .srt, but when I bring it back into

Premiere to check the captions, it only has :40 of captions, not the full

10 minutes. In this screenshot, the caption stream is on v2 and the

exported .srt is on v3. Do you have any idea why this is happening?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No screenshot... It might help.

Can you upload the exported file to dropbox or similar?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a google drive folder with the .srt and the screenshot:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=13zRhV1P-CLt_igacJ3Hu4LwZvnAZu6OT

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it. There is an extra CR/LF at the end of caption 5. When I delete it, the whole file loads.

This could be an editing error; an error in the original imported file that PR imported okay, but exported wrong; or an error in PR export or reimport.

Use a true text editor to avoid corrupting the file, rather than something like Word. I use Notepad++. I'll send you the file if you have a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by an extra CR/LF? How do I delete it? I am COMPLETELY new

to captions, so if you could explain how to delete this and avoid it next

time, I'd really appreciate it. I need to get this to my film's distributor

and I will be making another set of captions in another language and would

like to avoid this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In route home, so a bit limited. I will try to send you the fixed file tonight.

But in a text editor, such as Notepad, but with enhanced features, such as notepad++, when you open the SRT file, and show view special characters, you will see the carriage return/line feed, and that there is an extra one right before the caption numbered 5. Just delete, save, and you're good to go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exchanged PM, but the last bit of info worked!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines