• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Pen Pressure issues

Community Beginner ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using Windows 8.1, with a Wacom Intuous Pro Medium tablet, with the latest driver (6.3.8-4)

I installed Photoshop CC 2014 this afternoon, and ever since I've had a lot of random, intermittent issues with the pen pressure. It works fine in Illustrator, but in Photoshop, under the Brush panel, the Pen Pressure option has an alert sign next to it, and simply doesn't recognise the tablet as being pressure sensitive. Sometimes, if I turn on "Windows Ink" under the mapping tab, it occasionally works, but not always. And having Windows Ink checked makes selecting things in any other application very laggy (and makes working in Indesign near-impossible)

Cheers in advance

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Photoshop CC 2014 changes stylus use to use Microsoft system API's, with these API's you need to have Windows Ink enabled. These API's give better stroke results and improve the out of the box experience for users using Windows tablet/convertible devices. If you want to go back to the old WinTab implementation of previous versions do the following:

Create a file that contains instructions to revert to the WinTab functionality.

Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the followi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 19, 2014 Jun 19, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop CC 2014 changes stylus use to use Microsoft system API's, with these API's you need to have Windows Ink enabled. These API's give better stroke results and improve the out of the box experience for users using Windows tablet/convertible devices. If you want to go back to the old WinTab implementation of previous versions do the following:

Create a file that contains instructions to revert to the WinTab functionality.

Create a text file in a text editor such as Notepad.

Type in the following lines:

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

Save the file as a plain text file named PSUserConfig.txt, and save the file into the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings\.

To turn off the gestalt's functionality, delete the PSUSerConfig.txt file. Or, move it to a different folder if it doesn't contain any other commands, or change the lines so they read:

# Use Win8 native tablet support

UseSystemStylus 1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 20, 2014 Jun 20, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was having the same issue. M Shaw's answer fixed this for me. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks M Shaw, that worked a an absolute treat!

Also, Carlos -- I looked at that thread, but I didn't seem to have an issue switching from tablet to mouse. I don't usually flit between them that much anyway, so it wouldn't really be too much of a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Doctor Bond for having a look at the other thread. Strangely, I managed to fix the pressure sensitivity issue by deleting my wacom tablet preferences (from the wacom utility). I still, I get the lag in mouse mode. It is an issue for me because I am left handed and I use my mouse with my right hand for general tasks, and the pen with my left hand for retouching tasks that benefit from using the pen. So I switch very often.

Anyway I'm glad you fixed the problem!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 26, 2015 Feb 26, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That works for me !

You're my hero !

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 10, 2015 Aug 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

omg, I've been at this at least an hour if not more, thank you SO much, just that simple file with that text

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

worked for me. I'm running PS cc 2015 and Windows 10 (as of two days ago) with an Intuos 3 tablet (yes the very old gray one).

You. are. the. bomb.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 16, 2015 Aug 16, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

# Use WinTab

UseSystemStylus 0

worked for me too with photoshop cc 2015.0.1

thanks to all !!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2016 Mar 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is that possible that this worked for CC 2014 but not for 2015? How could I fix it not for a Wacom?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 20, 2015 Sep 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi i am on cintiq companion 2 i5 model. and i have encountered the sudden 100% opacity stroke issue. and i have been trying to fix by doing this. but i cannot find the adobe folder or adobe photoshop cc folder tomput the text file in. like after getting to roaming file there is only a folder called intel. please help :s

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Apr 26, 2017 Apr 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

M Shaw,
Thanks for the info on that PSUserConfig.txt file.   I had just got a Huion 1060 plus tablet (I normally use Wacom but the price was too good to pass up).  It was intermittently laggy and unusable in Photoshop.  I was afraid I was going to have to return it. Which would be a shame since It was working fine in illustrator and other apps.... but Photoshop was the main reason for wanting tablet.   Once I applied that txt file config it started drawing as smooth as butter with great pressure range.  I hope Adobe keeps this workaround available because I certainly need it for my tablet to work correctly.  It now feels more responsive now than my Wacom at work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i did the same and pressure is working but somewhere else in artboard far from the cursor,,,, help me plzaaaa111.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2018 Mar 10, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

pushpendras37079068  wrote

i did the same and pressure is working but somewhere else in artboard far from the cursor,,,, help me plzaaaa111.jpg

You should always start a new thread with issues like this.  This thread is about eight months old, and marked Correctly Answered, so a lot of people won't bother to open it.

But as I am here...

Are you using more than monitor?

Either way, restart your computer and see if it fixes it.

Good luck

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 10, 2020 Jul 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I have the same issue here . brush start way from I press with a thin line from my curser location to the brush strock screenshot.٢٠٢٠-٠٧-١١.jpg

..could you please tell me how can i fix it or wher i can find solution 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 22, 2018 Mar 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Wacom Intous Art with Ps 2018 cc in windows 10, I do not have any AppData folder, every driver is up to date. I even tried to restart the services by going to Administrative tool nothing is working, still showing the Alert sign of pen pressure and it is so frustrating because I can not expect this even I have everything is up to date. Please solve this issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2018 Apr 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've still got to do a bit of searching in the browser window but it can be found -- the path is...

C:\Users\"your_username"\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018\Adobe Photoshop CC 2018 Settings

However... There's nothing actually in this folder at the moment (I've just done a fresh install on a brand new computer), I'm using an Intuos Pro 001-T0001 tablet on a Windows 10 PC. Putting the PSUserConfig.txt file in there doesn't do anything

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it works but when doing this trick, the dreaded pen-to-mouse switch lag, that had disappeared in PS CC 2014, appears again. So it's either not having pressure sensitivity, or having lag if we often switch between tablet and physical mouse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2015 Jan 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, just in case anyone else runs into this same problem, as I've just spent the past three days trying to get this to work again, and FINALLY figured it out yesterday...

If you're on Windows (I'm not sure if it applies to Mac users), but from what I've discovered...

When you save the text doc as PSUserConfig.txt Don't use the .txt extention suffix in the filename! I must have just absent-mindedly taken this off the first time I did it, but I was trying every other possible thing I could yesterday (different drivers, reinstalling PS CC, Windows ink) pretty much any variable and combination I could think of -- and lo and behold, it worked! So yeah, simply name it PSUserConfig, without the .txt, and you should be all set!

Phew! So glad I found this out, so hopefully this might help some people out who've had similar frustrations!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jan 09, 2015 Jan 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The suffix has to be there - but if you have suffixes hidden (which is always a bad choice), then you may be adding the suffix twice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 11, 2015 Jan 11, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aaah, that must be it! Interesting... My default setting is to have them hidden in the actual filename. I think I prefer it that way, for saving files with the same name but in different formats.

Good to know, though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 23, 2015 Dec 23, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thaaaaaaaank you so much , you saved my life .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 31, 2016 Mar 31, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sir. You're my saviour! this was killing me so many days til' i deleted the .txt suffix in the file name. Can't be more happy now thanks to your comment!! now i'll go every forum i've read to tell other persons who wrote that the psuserconfig.txt file didn't work to check this IMPORTANT detail. THANKS!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2015 Mar 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All those solutions failed for me I have Wacom tablet and the pressure is working all right in illustrator but in photoshop it is working only when I create new file, when I save and reopen it the pressure stops working. When I open an old file the pressure is not working if I create new file along with the old one opened the pressure is not working. How do I fix this??????? I'm on windows 8.1 with latest wacom drivers installed. Photoshop CC 2014 is up to date. HOW DO I FIX THIS SUPER ANNOYING ISSUE!!!??!?!?!?!!??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2015 Mar 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YAY it fixed for now. For those who are interested: I first removed photoshop preferences file to no effect, then updated windows to no effect (all adobe support suggestions). After that I almost kicked my cat out of frustration but found inner balance again and tried one more thing:

I went to control panel and found there Wacom preferences (not pen and tablet preferences), form that menu I reset all user preferences and it started working. DUH!

Now I know what I've been missing working on Mac those previous 5 years...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2015 Jun 17, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would appear that with the new version of Photoshop CC 2015, this issue has arisen again -- however, the Photoshop settings folder: C:\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014\Adobe Photoshop CC 2014 Settings\ now no longer exists in the new program files directory. Anyone know where I can drop the .txt doc?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines