• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Blurb and Lightroom - charging subscription to publish?

New Here ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wanted to start to create a new Blurb book in Lightroom, unfortunately, it looks like Adobe and Blurb are charging a monthly subscription fee for the connectivity between the two programs now.

I am confused as Lightroom is listed under Blurb's website as a free tool, but when you click through there is a subscription charge now.  I asked Blurb and they sent me here.

Can someone clarify if Lightroom's functionality has changed with the creation of Blurb books?

Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you send a link to the page on Blurb's site that says that Lightroom is free? That is definitely incorrect. There is a subscription based plan for $120 per year ) +/- depending on where you live for taxes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom should be able to create and upload books to Blurb without any subscription. If you have 6, it should work exactly as always. With the subscription version, the Book module should work even if you are not paying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have Lightroom 6?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Blurb does make it appear that Lightroom & InDesign Plug-in are free but I believe in the statement at the top of the page "Get Started With Our Free Tools", they are just referring to Blurb owned software on the same page i.e Bookwright, their own iOS App etc.

The InDesign Plugin is free but it requires that you already own or that you separately purchase InDesign to use it.

When you click on the 'Learn More' link for Lightroom at the bottom of that page it says:

"Please note: Use of the Blurb book module requires purchasing Lightroom software directly from Adobe."

Also they currently offering a 15% discount to Creative Cloud (this is for the full Adobe suite and it may be more than you need?)

If you just need Lightroom you could get the Adobe Photography plan bundle for about 1/4 that price ($9.99/month vs $45/mth for a full CC package.) Check Adobe site for more details. (Or purchase LR6, note it is 'End of Life' and no longer gets any updates but can be still found online)

Note: Blurb works with Lightroom Classic/ LR6 and not the new Lightroom CC cloud version

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines