• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Future Lightroom 6 Compatibility with Mac OS X Mohave

Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr 6.14 just gave me a pop up saying it will not be compatible with future versions of Mac OS X. (I am currently running Mohave 10.14.1.) I paid for Lr6 and expect to be able to continue using it. When will an update be available?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 27, 2018 Nov 27, 2018

The update has been available for a long time. It is Lightroom Classic 7 and 8. Adobe announced some time ago that Lightroom 6 will not be updated further. You can probably only continue using it by not upgrading your OS when the next version of Mac OS X comes out but it is not clear as it depends on what Apple will do with their next OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update has been available for a long time. It is Lightroom Classic 7 and 8. Adobe announced some time ago that Lightroom 6 will not be updated further. You can probably only continue using it by not upgrading your OS when the next version of Mac OS X comes out but it is not clear as it depends on what Apple will do with their next OS.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR 6.x is already two major versions old, the current version is 8.0.

There is no more updates to the 6.x version since 7.0 was released. That is the way software works.

Very older versions of software often have problems running on updated versions of operating systems since the OS makers eventually break some of the backwards compatibility. This has always been the case for all OS makers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic is not a true update to Lr6, as that requires a subscription. I do not have the means to pay for a subscription and need a standalone version of Lr that will continue to be compatible with MacOS X.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It will never come. LR 6 is the end of the road for perpetual license. Many disagree with that decision but Adobe has made it and is highly unlikely to move back as it is enormously successful for them.

Your only way to stick with LR 6 is to not upgrade your OS when the successor to Mojave comes out next year. That will likely tie you over a few years until Apple will stop issuing security updates to Mojave which they will do after a few major revisions of the OS. This is the reality of software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And in two days the Map Module will be discontinued for LR6.x regardless of your OS type/version :

Map is no longer supported in this version of Lightroom

...I expect a flurry of forum posts even with the advance notice from Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 28, 2018 Nov 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

wlotus  wrote

Lr 6.14 just gave me a pop up saying it will not be compatible with future versions of Mac OS X. (I am currently running Mohave 10.14.1.) I paid for Lr6 and expect to be able to continue using it. When will an update be available?

You can expect that, but it is an unrealistic expectation to think you will get an update. Lightroom 6 is no longer supported, and a change from 32 bits to 64 bits is more than an ‘update’. You can continue to use Lightroom 6 for a very long time if you want to however. Just don’t upgrade to the next version of MacOS X when that comes out. Nobody forces you to do that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I understand software life cycles. I was hoping Adobe would not push aside those of us who are not able to afford or are not interested in a subscription, especially since we paid for the software to begin with. It is disappointing to see their business model does not have room for loyal customers like me. I have already begun the transition to Corel instead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe does not push you in any direction. Apple does (or will next year) if you let it do that.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I don’t think that Adobe considers you a ‘loyal customer’. What was the last time you paid any money to them (when you purchased Lightroom 6)? About three years ago?

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, wlotus​, this "loyalty" argument applies in the opposite direction. There are users who do want Adobe to continue to update its current software and provide new features on a regular basis (which is what the subscription allows, we get new features approximately ever 3 months). There are users who are happy to subscribe because not only do they get the new features in Lightroom on a regular basis, they get Photoshop and new features in Photoshop at no extra cost. There are users who are happy about these things, loyal Adobe users, who do not want Adobe to spend time and resources to keep old versions of Lightroom running. Adobe has clearly responded to these loyal users, giving them what they want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't believe we need to get caustic when answering these disgruntled Lightroom 6 users. I can understand their disappointment. However, Adobe provided ALL users ample choice as to which direction they wanted to go. The users were told that there would be no more updates to the standalone Lightroom. At the time, that didn't seem to be an issue because everything worked just fine. But as time passes and software changes as well as operating systems update and change it can cause real frustration. The users have made their choice, and it's easy to blame Adobe, but it really isn't Adobe's fault. Adobe made a business decision that was in their best interest. Now the user must make a decision that is in their best interest. If that means they must leave Adobe, then so be it. I like Adobe products, but there are other good choices out there. And I'm sure these disgruntled users will be able to make a good choice. It is sure to make them satisfied. And it isn't going to impact Adobe's bottom line one way or the other. Life goes on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't see it as caustic. One user stated what he wanted from Adobe, so I feel I can state what I want from Adobe (and why I was happy with Adobe).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then I suppose it's all in how one interprets the reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2019 May 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hola a todos.

He leído el hilo completo de respuestas.

También yo me siento frustrado.

Hace aproximadamente unos seis meses he comprado la licencia de Lightroom 6 en un soporte de disco.

La he comprado en B&H en Nueva York.

Lo hice pensando en que, si bien no me beneficiaría de las nuevas herramientas en las futuras actualizciones, de todas maneras tendría al programa funcionando aunque Apple actualizara su sistema operativo.

Nunca vi una advertencia clara de Adobe diciendo a sus clientes "NO COMPRE LIGTHROOM 6 PUESTO QUE EN BREVE DEJARÁ DE FUNCIONAR".

O "TENGA CUIDADO CON ACTUALIZAR SU SISTEMA OPERATIVO, SI COMPRA LIGTHROOM 6 ESTARÁ CONDENADO A VIVIR EN EL PALEOLÍTICO".

La política de Adobe al respecto fue un desastre. Yo la llamaría de un enorme egoísmo.

Para mi, la imagen de Adobe como empresame me ha quedado muy desmerecida. Ahora la veo como feroz y voraz. Me da la imagen de que lo que cuenta es sólo el dinero.

En mi caso, para colmo vivo en Uruguay y Adobe no tiene políticas comerciales com mi pais que me permitan la suscripción.

Yo no soy un profesional de la fotografía sino un entusiasta de la misma.

De aquí en más me cuidaré mucho de Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agwii  wrote

I never saw a clear warning from Adobe telling its customers "DON'T BUY LIGTHROOM 6 SINCE IT WILL SOON STOP WORKING."

OR "BE CAREFUL TO UPGRADE YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM, IF YOU BUY LIGTHROOM 6 YOU WILL BE CONDEMNED TO LIVE IN THE PALEOLITHIC."

It is not Adobe that did this. It is Apple and YOU. If you had never updated your OS LR 6 would still be working.

And you never saw Clear warning from Apple that upgrading the OS would make some software obsolete. This is has been the case for years with Apple.

If you bought LR 6 Six Months ago it was Out Of Date, Been Superseded, for at least 1.5 years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 05, 2019 May 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you bought LR 6 Six Months ago it was Out Of Date, Been Superseded, for at least 1.5 years.

No estoy de acuerdo. Si tu tienes una licencia vendiéndose en el mercado y ese es tu producto, entoces eres responsable por ella. La empresa es responsabe por ella. Adobe gana dinero con ella.

Además, una licencia perpetua no puede ser reemplazada por una suscripción. Son dos productos distintos.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Adobe and Apple do not care what customers think of them as long as there is a suckker born as often as we are.  They just use us for only their benefit because they can.  Hopefully someday a new kid with a better approach will arive to disrupt them both.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines